The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RMWeb Gamer's Lounge.

Classsix T

As I've said previously I will do Basstard Effect one day. I won't enjoy it obvs, but I'm intrigued to see how badly I can screw up.

Thankfully John Walker has sought to be the most depraved character in a galaxy far, far away. So I don't have to!

C6T. 

Finished WDL Bloodline DLC at the weekend, last boss fight was a proper ballache!

Not hard-but-do-able like most games. So for the first time in a million years I found myself dipping the difficulty level down a notch to get to the end. Which is frustrating.

One of the Killzones I just gave up in disgust and harrumphed at its ridiculous level design.

C6T. 

These are the ones that I have my eye on for PS5. Performance is slightly nerfed but I guess that's to run cooler and closely match the incumbent internals:

ADATA XPG GAMMIX S70 BLADE 2TB PCIe Gen4x4 M.2 2280 SSD 3D Graphics Processing High-End Gaming PC PS5 with or w/o heatsink https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B093DNV47J/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_Q2CW8AFP7ZJWQRHQE0PH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

C6T. 

21 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

They need to do the 2TB for the price of the 1TB, the 1TB for the price of the 515GB and then chuck the 512GB one away.

Edited by 30801

14 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

What is actually in these things? I know little to nothing but would have thought with no moving parts (like an HDD) they'd be less expensive. "Supply chain issues" keeping the price artificially high?

Nothing that special, An NVMe SSD like you can buy for your laptop for much less money. Apparently there's some custom stuff in it but you can get an adapter to use a regular laptop SSD although only a few are compatible.

It's PS1 memory cards all over again.

2 hours ago, 30801 said:

It's PS1 memory cards all over again.

Exactly what I said up thread.

Well, the Samsung T5 I bought might well be getting sister units then, different colours available, put a sticky label on to remind me which games are on which drive...two can play the memory card game, and at a considerable cost saving.

I don't play Collar Doodie and any game I'm playing regularly will be resident on the internal OG SSD, so I reckon a couple of 2Tb T5s, swapped out as and when necessary, would be ample for an entire library of likely purchased PS5 titles.

C6T. 

GTA Trilogy breaks cover:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-10-22-first-look-at-visual-upgrade-in-grand-theft-auto-the-trilogy-the-definitive-edition-trailer

Not cheap but I'm not baulked by that price. Three mahoosive games, refreshed. Comparable perhaps with Mafia Remastered Trilogy, which 30801 has said are rather smaller in scope (?).

At launch it'll be on Game Pass and a month later on PSNow. Physical copies hit the shelves in December, if ASDA are going to ask a penny shy of fifty notes and reviews are favourable, I'll take it.

C6T. 

1 hour ago, Classsix T said:

Three mahoosive games, refreshed. Comparable perhaps with Mafia Remastered Trilogy, which 30801 has said are rather smaller in scope (?).

I probably said something along the lines of the Mafia games not being open world but the city provides a backdrop for the well written linear story.

I played Vice City shortly after the original Mafia game and remember being appalled by the awful arcade 'handling' of the cars.

1 hour ago, 30801 said:

I probably said something along the lines of the Mafia games not being open world but the city provides a backdrop for the well written linear story.

I played Vice City shortly after the original Mafia game and remember being appalled by the awful arcade 'handling' of the cars.

Hence the question mark. Apologies if I've misrepresented your take, not my intention.

In the end I did download on sale Mafia III, purely on the basis it covered a period of history I am interested in. Didn't bother with the initial two as I thought them a bit meh. If the third chapter proves entertaining, maybe I'll try the others.

Car driving has always been sh!t in GTA, it's arcade. (F**k me try vehicle control in WDL). 

I've tried GTSport, Project whatever and Assetto Corsa. GTA won't and doesn't purport to be a driving sim. I'll not dismiss GTA on the basis its vehicle handling is crap. I play it despite its naff vehicle handling because the story is worthwhile.

C6T. 

8 hours ago, Classsix T said:

In the end I did download on sale Mafia III, purely on the basis it covered a period of history I am interested in. Didn't bother with the initial two as I thought them a bit meh. If the third chapter proves entertaining, maybe I'll try the others.

The third is something of a mixed bag. They added some open world elements but they feel like filler and there's quite it a bit of churn through. 

The story missions, plot and characters are all excellent.

Can anyone recommend must have games for Mac? I'm looking to replace my long-in-the tooth G5 iMac and Dad's equally ancient iPad with a machine capable of doing the job of both. 

Thinking either an M1 Pro or Air MacBook.

Not tried gaming on anything other than a console since the Amiga, so pros/cons/peripheral recommendations welcome.

C6T. 

29 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Can anyone recommend must have games for Mac? I'm looking to replace my long-in-the tooth G5 iMac and Dad's equally ancient iPad with a machine capable of doing the job of both. 

No.

Whatever subset of PC games that will run on the Mac. The graphics of the M1 are very impressive...... For a fan-less system-on-chip. It's not a gaming machine but games are at least playable unlike older Macs with Intel graphics.

1 hour ago, 30801 said:

No.

Whatever subset of PC games that will run on the Mac. The graphics of the M1 are very impressive...... For a fan-less system-on-chip. It's not a gaming machine but games are at least playable unlike older Macs with Intel graphics.

Just looking to actually use the darned thing. Dad enjoys YouTube and whatever but since I stopped putting together the C56G newsletter the iMac is gathering cobwebs. Both it and the iPad (installed with Lord knows how old versions of Safari) aren't "talking" properly to websites that need user detail input.

I'm aware Apple has a games Store, just wondered if Steam or Epic carried Mac titles on their respective portals? Nothing fancy, I've got the PS5 for the big hitters.

C6T. 

6 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

I'm aware Apple has a games Store, just wondered if Steam or Epic carried Mac titles on their respective portals? Nothing fancy, I've got the PS5 for the big hitters.

Yes they do. No Mac exclusives but a decent number of PC games will run on a Mac. No 32bit games will run on a recent version of Mac OS though.

Have a look at the system requirements on Steam it will say Mac on compatible games.

• RMweb Gold
On 22/10/2021 at 20:36, Classsix T said:

GTA Trilogy breaks cover:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-10-22-first-look-at-visual-upgrade-in-grand-theft-auto-the-trilogy-the-definitive-edition-trailer

Not cheap but I'm not baulked by that price. Three mahoosive games, refreshed. Comparable perhaps with Mafia Remastered Trilogy, which 30801 has said are rather smaller in scope (?).

At launch it'll be on Game Pass and a month later on PSNow. Physical copies hit the shelves in December, if ASDA are going to ask a penny shy of fifty notes and reviews are favourable, I'll take it.

C6T. 

So Game Pass gets San Andreas and PSNow gets GTA3, Seems a pretty sensible way of doing it as a trial and tempting you into buying the full game (especially as it seems Vice City is the game that everyone actually wants).  Though I suspect I will just end up playing San Andreas on Game Pass and buying the rest once the price has come down, a lot will depend just how much better the graphics are (and what is missing in terms of music / any other changes.)  I see they have already bowed down to the PC brigade and removed the confederate flag from an NPC, which all seems rather odd in one of the least politically correct game series  ever made.  

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Not tried gaming on anything other than a console since the Amiga, so pros/cons/peripheral recommendations welcome.

C6T. 

There are better gaming solutions using the same base operating system, mainly from Sony. The Apple fork of BSD is not very gamey, you may get Linux ports

12 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

So Game Pass gets San Andreas and PSNow gets GTA3, Seems a pretty sensible way of doing it as a trial and tempting you into buying the full game (especially as it seems Vice City is the game that everyone actually wants).  Though I suspect I will just end up playing San Andreas on Game Pass and buying the rest once the price has come down, a lot will depend just how much better the graphics are (and what is missing in terms of music / any other changes.)  I see they have already bowed down to the PC brigade and removed the confederate flag from an NPC, which all seems rather odd in one of the least politically correct game series  ever made.  

Given the rush to remove dubious material in WoW, as Acti/Blizzard furiously back-pedal on their past misogyny, not sure GTA could ever have reached the depths.

Some folks are saying that the NPC in question is so obviously meant to be a proto-MAGA chud, they should have left his T-shirt as it was! I'd be extremely disappointed if any of the talk-radio material has been changed, so obviously a biting satire, and possibly more relevant now post-Trump.

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T

• RMweb Gold
On 12/10/2021 at 23:18, Classsix T said:

Ah, the "am I controlling an on-screen character or playing 'me' vicariously" dichotomy?

Whilst I believe no one is under the impression that the GTA series of games offers anything near an RPG level of immersion, if I may Reorte, that statement above shows your lack of knowledge of the subject matter front and centre. And if I might add, a lack of trust in the Rockstar studios to code a cracking yarn. 

There's a huge swathe of cinema that wishes the audience to empathise with the protagonist, often they're truly awful people. This came to a head with me in the movie The Wolf of Wall Street. Leo DiCaprio plays an utterly detestable character and the film's desperate attempts (in film narration) at force empathy still grates.

GTAs are usually a tale of an, at heart, good guy trying to make good. But very bad guys are in his way. GTAIV especially I thought did this really well.

But then we come to Trevor in GTAV. Nobody likes Trevor. Remember Micah in RDR2? Trevor is a playable Micah, and it sucks.

Undoubtedly there are those, myself included that enjoy doing in-game that which would be unthinkable irl. But that's why I play games, secure in my head it's as far as it goes.

But then we've had that conversation previously in the Lounge wrt CoD, RDR2 etc.

C6T. 

I played GTA V for at most, about 20 mins, then had to go lie down to get rid of the motion sickness! I tried again another couple of times and gave up on it. I've had the same problem in other games on and off, but most of the time am ok. GTA triggered it early on, every time so was a non starter.

3 minutes ago, 57xx said:

I played GTA V for at most, about 20 mins, then had to go lie down to get rid of the motion sickness! I tried again another couple of times and gave up on it. I've had the same problem in other games on and off, but most of the time am ok. GTA triggered it early on, every time so was a non starter.

The third person camera can be quite vicious, was that the issue?

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

The third person camera can be quite vicious, was that the issue?

Yeah, 3rd person views make it worse, I do still get it on 1st person too though. It depends on how much "head bobbing" is built in and also if movement is too rapid. Some days I can be fine and go on for hours in most games, other days it kicks in all too soon.

• Friendly/supportive 1

18 minutes ago, 57xx said:

Yeah, 3rd person views make it worse, I do still get it on 1st person too though. It depends on how much "head bobbing" is built in and also if movement is too rapid. Some days I can be fine and go on for hours in most games, other days it kicks in all too soon.

Sure. Have you tried tweaks to the settings, camera fixed points and reaction speeds of same perhaps?

I've not had issues myself, touch wood, but after ever so slight disorientation in GTSport on the new (much) bigger telly I now have no issues.

The bobbing head thing does my nut on more recently made TV programmes btw. It ain't cool, trendy or "cutting-edge". Use a tripod or steady-cam you numbnuts!

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Some folks are saying that the NPC in question is so obviously meant to be a proto-MAGA chud, they should have left his T-shirt as it was! I'd be extremely disappointed if any of the talk-radio material has been changed, so obviously a biting satire, and possibly more relevant now post-Trump.

C6T. 

Thats my biggest worry, there is a hell of a lot of very un pc satire in the game, particularly in the talk radio, and it just wouldnt be the same without it. If Take2 / Rockstar are now afraid of offending people, it doesnt bode well for GTAVI (whenever they finally move on from flogging GTAV to death)

Just seems silly that in a game where its perfectly acceptable to take a taxi and at your destination kill the driver to get your money back, people are more offended by a 150 year old flag. 

41 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Just seems silly that in a game where its perfectly acceptable to take a taxi and at your destination kill the driver to get your money back, people are more offended by a 150 year old flag. 

Mafia 3 has the Dixie Mafia who drive around in Confederate flag bedecked pickup trucks.

You have to shoot them all so it's OK.