The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RMWeb Gamer's Lounge.

Classsix T

• RMweb Premium

Yep, definitely a mocked-up screenshot. Space station at the top of the screen is also inconsistent with the compass location.

I'm a bit nerdy when it comes to details in the original Elite - see my username!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Blink and you'll miss him, Sam Pamphilon off of Dara O' Briain's Go 8-bit is in the Santander advert... 

...I thought you needed to know.

C6T. 

Let’s hope he doesn’t try and take Dec on at demolition derby or wreckfest, he’s the champ at that! 

• Funny 1

I've recently been exploring the podcasts on Spotify and perhaps unsurprisingly Pamphilon's oppo has one, game based natch:

Spent today listening, if you've liked Mr. Mc Neil's other work, or enjoy games fandom in general, it's well worth a try.

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T
Update

I have joined the Train Simulator 2020 party. Got the train sim, woodhead, WCML North, WCML middleish, and an APT. I have discovered I am very adept at tripping the breakers on a Class 87, and missing the AWS while trying to fix it, so getting the emergency stop... and repeat... I also have no idea how far it takes to stop a train. Ended up parked outside Tesco in Lockerbie instead of the platform half a mile up the road...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Which version of Woodhead did you get? I keep getting crashes on the newer (blue era) one.

WCML North is one of my favourite routes in TS (despite my general dislike of modern and even greater dislike of electric), possibly because of the great variety with the various Glasgow lines it includes compared with the trip of Beattock. It shows its age slightly (it was released before it had support for superelevation on curves) but is still a great route. With a bit of imagination it can be combined with the WCML over Shap route (imagination required because you'll have to stop, return to the menu, and load the other route in at Carlisle) for a good-length run (and deal with neutral sections on the Shap stretch, at least if you're using the loco that came with that route - can't remember if it was an 86 or 87 but I'm guessing the former).

• RMweb Premium

I think it goes to Dumfries on the Shap route but not on the WCML North (Carlisle to Glasgow) one.

My all-time favourite Train Simulator route though is more historical, and carries on past Dumfries through to Stranraer. Looks like one I really wish I could've experienced in its day. It's also quite a challenging drive; I think the loco it comes with (a Black 5) is supposed to be a somewhat clapped out one; at any rate getting a loaded train up some of the gradients on it and still run to time isn't easy (and neither is getting it to stop in the right place). Very satisfying when everything does go well though!

Edited by Reorte

Revisiting Horizon Zero Dawn after two and a half years I'm tantalisingly close to a Platinum trophy for the main campaign with only two Grazer Dummies to find. 

Without the desire to cop-out and look up the locations online, can anyone tell me if they're located purely in or near the Nora settlements only? ie not tucked away atop some random mountain.

TIA, C6T. 

Article here, which on the face of it is just how business works these days. Of particular interest to myself however is Funcom's reported desire to develop a Dune title. 

Conan Exiles hasn't set the gaming world alight apparently, but a solid true to lore Spice mining, space folding, cat milking romp with a David Lynch artistic bent would be right up my straße thankyouverymuch. 

C6T. 

• RMweb Premium
On 27/01/2020 at 09:57, Classsix T said:

I've also been rekindling my love of Horizon Zero Dawn and having a play with the Photo Mode along the way...

194812827_PSCommunities_20200127_094837.jpg.751c0ac7032f1a8962d44d46a44bccde.jpg

1317917313_PSCommunities_20200127_094828.jpg.f54705ab7074ca7f61b53e6d762b8faf.jpg

1857293426_PSCommunities_20200127_094843.jpg.c35e1dc75c9b689d1f335707b6b8d691.jpg

996042984_PSCommunities_20200127_094823.jpg.22febf6bb8dcfe4cd3bbc438a3da228f.jpg

1526637349_PSCommunities_20200127_094816.jpg.66b9d98b93a1a0bf2dcb11a797971eef.jpg

C6T. 

Brilliant game but then I am a fan of Guerilla Games.

Oh Destiny has had a big mess up

I shall be keeping an eye on this, if BioWare's promise to revisit the Mass Effect franchise comes to naught, this could be its natural successor:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-01-31-ex-bioware-vets-working-on-story-driven-sci-fi-game-at-new-wizards-of-the-coast-studio

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another Train Simulator one - the Stainmore route I've been looking forward to for ages is nearly ready (they're taking preorders anyway). I think part of the reason for the delay is that it sounded like the developers kept getting carried away - it started as Stainmore and the Eden Valley route, then they decided to link the two western ends by going over Shap, then decided that for the route of quite a bit of the freight traffic they'd head off in the other direction and off to Grange-over-Sands. An earlier map I saw of it had Lakeside on too, but that's not on the one on their page now. Could just be off the side.

https://steamsoundssupreme.com/stainmore-shap-eden-valley.html

• RMweb Gold

I've been playing quite a bit of the East Coastway, a few of the timetabled runs and I think it's my favourite route for the PS4 so far. It's ideal for picking up if you have no more than an hour or so. The 377 is so easy to drive and accelerates well. 

The route takes in Brighton - Seaford services and Brighton - Eastbourne services.

There Is a limited inclusion of freight in the form of a 66 aggregates run from Lewes to Newhaven - shunt - and return and repeat through afew times of the day.  There is also a "rail tour" run from Lewes to Eastbourne if you have "heritage traction" loaded on your machine. I have the 40, the peak and the 47 from the Pennine DLC and the 37 from the Teeside DLC so can drive any of those on that "rail tour".

I used to have West Coastway for MS Train Simulator. It would be particularly nice if Dovetail could offer that and to link it with East Coastway.

• Like 1

On 31/01/2020 at 13:29, scottystitch said:

I've been playing quite a bit of the East Coastway, a few of the timetabled runs and I think it's my favourite route for the PS4 so far.

The route takes in Brighton - Seaford services and Brighton - Eastbourne services.

There is also a "rail tour" run from Lewes to Eastbourne if you have "heritage traction" loaded on your machine. I have the 40, the peak and the 47 from the Pennine DLC and the 37 from the Teeside DLC so can drive any of those on that "rail tour".

Have they gone to the trouble of applying appropriate livery "skins" to the traction and stock Scott, or just plonked in the ability to use random banger blue Peak, 40 and Mk1 coaches? (AFAIK there isn't a currently mainline certified 45/46 anyway is there?) 

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T

Started The Outer Worlds at the weekend...hmm.

Really glad I didn't pay full rrp on this given my experience thus far. Perhaps because it's early days and I don't really like first person perspective, I'm giving it the benefit of doubt and I'll plug on, but alarm bells have already been ringing purely from the fact that I was led to believe there'd be moral quandries a go-go and I'm not getting that.

So far I've found everything about the cannery town thoroughly unlikeable, more importantly though, because of that I haven't had any scruples about pinching people's gear! That's a flaw in itself that you can garner better kit by stealing it than you can by earning it. 

Perhaps I misread the premise of the game from reviews and really wanted it to be something else, or it's really sly about making me detest a corporate entity that actually turns out to be benign, I doubt that though. 

I dunno, I really hope the writers haven't cobbled this together as a poorly executed "satire" on consumptive society, if that is the case, it's been done better and smarter by many more talented folk previously.

If anyone would care to comment on any of the above, give me a few more hours on it please before you pile in. I am early doors and unless all the reviews and awards I have seen were lavished upon this title by naive ultra liberal woke social justice warriors (that wouldn't know satire if it bit them on the ass), it may spring a few surprises on me.

C6T. 

1 hour ago, Classsix T said:

Started The Outer Worlds at the weekend...hmm.

Really glad I didn't pay full rrp on this given my experience thus far. Perhaps because it's early days and I don't really like first person perspective, I'm giving it the benefit of doubt and I'll plug on, but alarm bells have already been ringing purely from the fact that I was led to believe there'd be moral quandries a go-go and I'm not getting that.

Yeah, that's pretty much it.