The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RMWeb Gamer's Lounge.

Classsix T

1 hour ago, Reorte said:

I think that Dutch is the more interesting character, trying to work out just how much of him was an act. Possibly none of it (and I've quite a bit of sympathy for his attitude with regards the changing world, because I pretty much agree with him on that), but he's got an arrogant self-centred streak a mile wide and couldn't deal with the pressure when things started to go wrong (which really happened before the game started, so pre-Blackwater Dutch needs reading between the lines a bit).

For something next I'd like it to involve someone who comes out of it at the end better than at the start!

Dutch was obviously under some sort of dubious influence from (the brown nosing) Micah at the end though doncha think!?

The ambition to find a ripe for the picking Caribbean island is interesting though, but perhaps too close to the plot line of Butch & Sundance in ending up in Bolivia, I dunno.

At the start of RDR2, it's blatantly apparent these characters genuinely care for each other, how that came about is obviously ripe for it's own story. What none of us can say is whether Rockstar want to keep making prequels. Hard to believe that they would never revisit the Van der Linde gang ever again though..?

C6T. 

1 hour ago, scottystitch said:

How did Arthur die? Depending on his honour rating, it can be one of two ways.........

HOLD THE PHONE!

There's more than one ending, and to see it I have to replay being an a55hole?

C6T. 

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

HOLD THE PHONE!

There's more than one ending, and to see it I have to replay being an a55hole?

C6T. 

Not really a different ending.

More there are two methods in which Arthur dies.

Both are ate the same time and place in the story, just two different methods of expiration.

But yeah, to get the two variations, I guess play it once as Mr goody two shoes and once as Mr steal your shoes...and then shoot your feet.

Edited by scottystitch

1 minute ago, scottystitch said:

Not really a different ending.

More there are two methods in which Arthur dies.

Both are ate the same time and place in the story, just two different methods of expiration.

But yeah, two get the two variations, I guess play it once as Mr goody two shoes and once as Mr steal your shoes...and then shoot your feet.

Hey, my Arthur was sound as a pound and I'm gonna take that (as some sort of reflection on who I am!?). 

Might've been nice if there was an opportunity to beat the sh!t out of Micah around one of the campfires. 

I'll be an asshat in my next Mass Effect playthrough...gladly!

C6T. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Classsix T said:

Dutch was obviously under some sort of dubious influence from (the brown nosing) Micah at the end though doncha think!?

The ambition to find a ripe for the picking Caribbean island is interesting though, but perhaps too close to the plot line of Butch & Sundance in ending up in Bolivia, I dunno.

At the start of RDR2, it's blatantly apparent these characters genuinely care for each other, how that came about is obviously ripe for it's own story. What none of us can say is whether Rockstar want to keep making prequels. Hard to believe that they would never revisit the Van der Linde gang ever again though..?

It's hard to see what Dutch ever saw in Micah. Perhaps full of himself enough to not see past the brown nosing. A pity Micah didn't get a bit more character development, he was rather one-dimensional, with the only exception being right at the start ("Arthur! There's a body here!") - putting aside personal issues for something rather more pressing, but it didn't reappear.

They mostly care for each other and Dutch seems to care for them - he certainly seemed very happy when Arthur turned up alive on the beach, but that care was tempered by them being his subordinates, very much a master-servant type relationship from his point of view. They're great because they do what he says and help him get what he wants, and starts getting very annoyed when they stray an inch. The high honour ending at any rate suggests there's a tiny bit more to it than that, but not much.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Reorte said:

It's hard to see what Dutch ever saw in Micah. Perhaps full of himself enough to not see past the brown nosing. A pity Micah didn't get a bit more character development, he was rather one-dimensional, with the only exception being right at the start ("Arthur! There's a body here!") - putting aside personal issues for something rather more pressing, but it didn't reappear.

They mostly care for each other and Dutch seems to care for them - he certainly seemed very happy when Arthur turned up alive on the beach, but that care was tempered by them being his subordinates, very much a master-servant type relationship from his point of view. They're great because they do what he says and help him get what he wants, and starts getting very annoyed when they stray an inch. The high honour ending at any rate suggests there's a tiny bit more to it than that, but not much.

Ah that's an interesting insight into the dynamic of the gang. There's no doubt Dutch is the leader and absolutely Arthur is quite happy to go along with it, Arthur is a happy foot soldier. But when Micah starts to ingrain his twisted perspective and Dutch starts believing it, Arthur smells a rat.

I'd hoped Dutch's "squeeze" would have more input but it all goes south when accusations of ratting out surface. In that context, nothing new from any other crime gang drama set piece..?

C6T. 

Oh, and I did mention a year ago that Micah was a tit.

Its perhaps the case that Rockstar wrote it that Micah ended up as such a pantomime villain, they didn't make Leopold Strauss obnoxious enough. Which if you think about it enough is perhaps an affront to the player? 

I dunno, reading too much into it probably. C6T. 

• Agree 1

So, still choring thru Jedi: Fallen Order friends. I infer a chore, that's  disingenuous to the game because I specifically selected a difficulty level above that which would've been my default. Dead Space 2 was a sodding chore and I don't care if I never play that game again, it's progression structure such that every 30 minutes bought with it another tiresome (putting it politely) encounter. I digress.

You may recall I was "stuck" on an arena battle scenario with a string of baddies I had difficulty dealing with. I'd possibly still be there were it not for the fact because JFO saves games differently, when I next booted up (and had to replay the level) I noticed I'd missed a previous area that had an essential upgrade in it! I did seek some online advice with dealing with the AT-ST, which gave me a forehead slapping realisation BTW.

So having become chummy with the Wookies, back Cal goes to planet Thingummyjig for more thrills n spills. Me being me, I attempt multiple encounters to advance the game clashing lightsabers with the Second Sister (a fantastic Star Wars baddie friends, to the point you won't mind her killing you, she's proper badass) then a brain mashing puzzle which I totally knew what I needed to do but was flummoxed how to go about it (admittedly I entered the level title into Google, just read the search result first paragraph, another forehead slap and off we go again. 

I'm now in a proper arena battle slash fest and this one's a doozy. But, tempting as it is to bump the difficulty down a notch to complete or advance, I won't. I want that Jedi Master difficulty trophy!

C6T. 

For reasons I perfectly understand, pinging an email off to Sony Computer Entertainment isn't quite as straightforward as thinking that you can! I get that, their inbox would be overflowing with alternative platform trolls...

They do have a community forum though so I plonked this missive in it:

Is it planned to add the ability to set games of personal interest aside on the console version of the PS Store? I can wishlist games in Store on the mobile application however there's no account synergy between that and the console version!

Currently I have resorted to loading the cart and discarding those I don't wish to purchase, to buy those I do. Then have to put the ones I didn't buy back in the cart! I could use a pen and paper to make a list but, c'mon Sony. 

Steam apparently has this function (and will email should a title be discounted) and I've heard Xbox will soon follow suit. 

There's lots of games and add-ons I'd like to buy, just not all at once! 

TIA, Classsix-T.

Not an unreasonable query I think?

C6T. 

Yeh, me again.

I felt awful about not wishing you all a happy Mass Effect day last month, honest, but yesterday apparently marked the 25th birthday of the launch of PlayStation in Japan.

Whilst I personally didn't buy into the underpant grey first iteration of Sony's behemoth (having spent a shed load of cash on an Amiga 1200) I do remember staying at a mate's gaff and his roomie had a PS1 and WipeOut. Man, I caned that sucker.

It's cultural significance also cannot be denied. Let's remember Sega and Nintendo kept absolute control over what they'd release for their consoles. Sony released Dev kits and invited anyone with an idea to make games. Admittedly, the resultant massive library had plenty of guff in it, but the quality games shone through. 

So congrats on your silver anniversary PlayStation.

C6T. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Whilst I personally didn't buy into the underpant grey first iteration of Sony's behemoth (having spent a shed load of cash on an Amiga 1200) I do remember staying at a mate's gaff and his roomie had a PS1 and WipeOut. Man, I caned that sucker.

It's cultural significance also cannot be denied. Let's remember Sega and Nintendo kept absolute control over what they'd release for their consoles. Sony released Dev kits and invited anyone with an idea to make games. Admittedly, the resultant massive library had plenty of guff in it, but the quality games shone through. 

So congrats on your silver anniversary PlayStation.

C6T. 

I remember buying my first Playstation. Was it really 25 years ago? Prior to that It was Sega Megadrive.

My "bundle" came with Wipeout and Ridge Racer. I played both to death. Money was tight for a bit but I remember investing a lot of time in Crash Bandicoot (never completed it), I forget what other games I had. Medal of Honour was one.

I did have a PS2 but was relatively late to the PS3 and then the PS4 party, at least a year after respective launches. I did have a brief flirt with WII, but it's lack of seriousness meant it would never be anything other than brief, and despite my brother being in the Xbox camp post PS2, I've never had any other consoles; but then I wouldn't class myself as a serious gamer like some here (that is a compliment by the way).

25 years..........

• Like 1

Typically with Japanese tech, the rest of the World had to wait another 12 months for PlayStation but yeh, quarter of a century, scary! 

I bought three PS1 titles to play on the PS2 (the only Sony hardware I did buy at launch) G-Police, Driver 2 and (cough) Wu Tang: Taste the Pain.

G-Police, which had a Bladerunner-esque vibe aside, they blowed! But PS2 had Ridge Racer V and WipeOut 2097, so the seeds of the originals on PS1 had been planted.

C6T. 

• RMweb Gold

I had a SNES back in 1993 I recon which was my first console 

I got a ps1 late on, probably 98 with colin McRae rally (still remember Some of the cheat codes you could find in the likes of games master magazine) peasouper to drive in the fog, tinfoiled to have a foil car and the best of all was the option to change day to night which If you then chose one of the Australian levels then took the 2nd left off the track stalled the car then got you abducted by aliens only to return with 20 mins added to your clock and a car made of jelly! 

then there was grand tourismo 1 with its Mazda demio starter car, soon bought me a fiat cinquecento to match the real one I had sat on the drive though! 

ps2 I got in October 2001 to celebrate passing out as a guard, spent many an hour road learning The Wrexham bidston line (via Laguna seca and pikes peak) with a work colleague, it was of course the first console (that I’d had) where you could go on line (of sorts) to chat etc

then along came GTA which changed everything! 

Lost interest then due to kids and work but Dom got a ps3 about 4 years ago When he was 11 then a PS4 a couple of years back 

As for another consoles, got an xbox 360 6 years or so back, and Xbox one back in March this year and another last week for the man cave, had the obligatory Wii for the kids which we got rid of when we got the Xbox but have since bought a couple more from charity shops, one for home, one for the caravan, Gethin has a Wii U which is not too bad, shame it never really sold in great numbers so were limited to what games we can find cheap! Also got a retro mini SNES, might get the megadrive one one day too 

handhelds, had a game gear back in the early 90s, the usual Nintendo stuff in the 2000s, gameboy, DS, and we still have between us 3DS’s, DS, PSP and a couple of Nintendo switches 

surprising what I’ve gone through over the years and wished I still had, saying that Dom has all generations of playstations as well as an original Atari 2600, I could have picked up an

Amiga 1200 last week from the local flea market for £25 with all the leads, external drive, joystick, extra memory, power pack etc, looking back I was daft to have left it there really 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, MJI said:

I find each generation gains a game you more or less live in.

mine are.....

PS1-colin mcrae Rally

PS2-grand tourismo

PS3- Not played on one! 

PS4-Geand tourismo sport

PSP-GTA vice city 

Xbox 360-Just Dance!

Xbox one-Forza 4

Snes-Mario Kart

Wii-Mario kart Wii

Wii U-Mario kart 7  

Switch-Mario kart 8

DS-Lego Indiana Jones

3DS-Mario kart 3DS

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, big jim said:

mine are.....

PS1-colin mcrae Rally

PS2-grand tourismo

PS3- Not played on one! 

PS4-Geand tourismo sport

PSP-GTA vice city 

Xbox 360-Just Dance!

Xbox one-Forza 4

Snes-Mario Kart

Wii-Mario kart Wii

Wii U-Mario kart 7  

Switch-Mario kart 8

DS-Lego Indiana Jones

3DS-Mario kart 3DS

PS3 was my most varied played console, main series was Uncharted, main game was Killzone 3 then Uncharted 2.

PS4 seems to be mainly a Destiny box despite putting in hundreds of hours on other games (eg Horizon Zero Dawn and Uncharted 4).

Vita played a few, Uncharted, Tearaway, Killzone Mercenary (twin stick FPS in your hands).

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, scottystitch said:

Hmm yes, the number of hours I must have spent on the Uncharted series, on the PS3.........

Great series of games that I keep going back to. That said I've only played 4 once. Must remedy that.

2 was my introduction to multiplayer, originally just to try to Platinum it.

Went to Killzone 3 multiplayer as I enjoyed the SP so much

In terms of franchise loyalty from myself, Insomniac Games' Ratchet & Clank series probably outweighs all others in terms of number of titles bought. Ever since the first one (on PS2), I've bought them regardless as well put together, colourful, fun, daft and often humorous platform shooters. They're not hard games by any stretch but can be taxing without being an arse about it. Most importantly, if you die, you probably know it was your own fault and they crucially have that "five more minutes" factor. Never got that with Naughty Dog's Jak & Daxter so didn't uptake. 

Since Gran Turismo 3 A:Spec for PS2 I've bought each main game, GTSport being effectively 7.

Played an awful lot of Tiger Woods golf over multiple titles too.

I'll always go back to Mass Effect and Deus-Ex and I can see myself rotating back to Horizon Zero Dawn, Last of Us and the Uncharted's with equal regularity. Occasional revisits to GTA, sure, but the dated graphics of the earlier ones might jar...

So there you go, not all PlayStation tied titles, but as I've said before, PlayStation has given me everything I've ever wanted in gaming. Happy 25th!

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T
Spooling
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, beast66606 said:

I started playing games on computers back in 1979 - probably close to exactly 40 years ago, "Adventure" on a pdp 11 :o

Yeh, alright grandad! (love you Skip ;)

Could you get Mr. Babbage's difference engine to spell BOOBS? 

Seriously, when you aren't out in the freezing cold photting, what are you mostly playing these days Dave? Did the pinball simulators come good?

I took a punt, after a free trial, of King Oddball from the PS3 store. Physics based rock flinging nonsense akin to Angry Birds. Addictive as hell! 

C6T. 

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Could you get Mr. Babbage's difference engine to spell BOOBS? 

Seriously, when you aren't out in the freezing cold photting, what are you mostly playing these days Dave? Did the pinball simulators come good?

FX3 I play a lot, the tables are mostly very good and Sniper 4 at the moment, co-operative on line normally but occasionally solo survival

ESSO.OIL and others were also popular on calculators and the like

• Like 1