The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RMWeb Gamer's Lounge.

Classsix T

On 09/05/2018 at 01:44, Jenny Emily said:

My partner's hobby is collecting and playing various old console games. They are aiming for a complete PAL PS2 game collection, and are at 68% complete (there are nearly 2,500 games for a complete collection). They also collect for Sega Mastersystem, Megadrive, Dreamcast, Nintendo SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Xbox, Xbox 360, Game boy and Sega Gamegear. It's becoming quite a collection. Their pride and joy is a copy of 'Rule of Rose' which is apparently quite hard to get on PS2.

Personally I really like GTA San Andreas, and my exhibition layout takes its name from Grove Street in the game. 

It looks like Jenny's other half might be near to sitting on a gold mine:

https://www.kotaku.co.uk/2019/08/09/deep-pocketed-collectors-are-fuelling-a-retro-game-gold-rush

...I did keep those Sega Game Gear cartridge boxes didn't I?! 

C6T. 

The August PSN games are WipeOut Omega (which I already had purchased disc copy & installed) and Sniper Elite 4.

Judging by how my own PSN friends have been active, it seems Sony may have picked a couple of winners for its network subscribers this time around. I did take advantage of downloading SE4 though, it being on my 'one of these days' shopping list. 

Personally, whilst well aware how keen beast66606, manna and Scottystich are of the Sniper Elite franchise, I'd forgotten how good these games are! Part of the reason I hadn't got around to buying SE4 was that I have a pre-owned SE3 collecting dust in the library, it being sidelined whilst newer titles came along in the meantime that offered gaming riches. Whether they delivered or not...

Sniper Elite 4 though, let's see the ticked boxes in the C6T checklist:

Looks nice

Third person (that periferal vision thing)

Varied combat options

Multiple paths to target acquisition

Little or no player hand-holding, not constantly being told what or how to play

Kill fascists 

Dude's name is Karl (spelt wrong, so half a point off there, natch)

Big eff off railway gun like that Lima "Leopold" job I had

I can't say that any game has engaged me in such a way since RDR2, by that I mean leaving all others aside until I've finished. I am dipping back into GTSport for online competitions, but I missed a race on Saturday because I was engrossed in SE4! 

So I'm probably in the position of doing the Second World War in reverse. Finish the campaign in Italy, then (SE3) North Africa, do whatever the remastered SE2 needs and wait to see if Rebellion Games does a Pacific theatre, Eastern Front or Normandy invasion in the future.

Funny thing is though, it is called Sniper Elite. Whether it's my previous "training" on other stealth-em-ups I dunno but I feel the need to hide the bodies having searched them for (actively encouraged and sometimes essential) Intel. As such, the rifle gets less use than the silenced pistol and knife! Similarly the games makers have quite deliberately made the player aware that the 'grunt' troops the player is tasked to confront are occasionally family men. They've wives/girlfriends/parents/children. They are pissed off. Might be nice if there was a game mechanic where player only had to off the top brass. Maybe there is but as every kill garners xp, I was a one man execution squad on mission one. 

I've seen Das Boot, they aren't characters from Wolfenstien. But hey, it's a game.

Thoughts welcome friends, C6T. 

• Like 1

Anyone else a fan of arcade racer franchise Need for Speed? 

Trailer recently released for the next game:

Enjoyed Hot Pursuit on PS2, more recently I never did buy Payback (partly due to the inevitable Electronic Arts monetisation rumours) but did enjoy Most Wanted. I have Rivals in the library but haven't gone deep into it. In fact Wiki states the franchise has surpassed 20 titles! 

It's very much a Marmite franchise. You never know what "story" they're going to attempt to affix to the game, if any. Despite the criticism of Most Wanted's live action cut scenes, I thought the game essentially worked, ffs the real cars/fake location/perpetual night/no pedestrians/lack of realistic car physics is an indicator this isn't Gran Turismo as much as Gone in 60 Seconds wasn't The Italian Job (the good one)!

With EA's recent spanking over monetisation, I'll hope Heat will be something of a return to form for what should be a turn brain off arcade racer, in other words, it's a game that should recognise what it is and embrace that. Modding was what NFS was good at and that should be core. 

C6T. 

• RMweb Gold

Bought train sim world 2020 for the Xbox one earlier with the add on north Pennines route pack, spent last night driving real trains then have just had a go if it and spent an hour driving a class 45 out of Manchester Victoria to Huddersfield!

Off to work in a bit too

its a pretty good game/simulation, been a bit glitchy though, had to reset it a couple of times as I couldn’t get power leaving stalybridge, thought it was me driving it bad but nothing would get it to move!

the different camera angles are brilliant when you are out on a bit where you don’t have to worry about speeds and you can have a play 

16ABEE0E-5B94-45BD-A7F6-DE68176BF20A.jpg

Edited by big jim
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 17/08/2019 at 21:24, big jim said:

Bought train sim world 2020 for the Xbox one earlier with the add on north Pennines route pack, spent last night driving real trains then have just had a go if it and spent an hour driving a class 45 out of Manchester Victoria to Huddersfield!

Off to work in a bit too

its a pretty good game/simulation, been a bit glitchy though, had to reset it a couple of times as I couldn’t get power leaving stalybridge, thought it was me driving it bad but nothing would get it to move!

the different camera angles are brilliant when you are out on a bit where you don’t have to worry about speeds and you can have a play

Would be interested more in your opinions of it since you'll have a rather better idea of it than I do about how convincing it is!

I've been waiting for some more less modern day content before giving TSW a shot - that route, and possibly the Middlesborough one being the only ones of interest to me at present, could really do with some steam ones. Something local to me that I know anyway might also sway me if it's modern day but I'd still prefer it old.

It looks fab Jim (the grime around the hinges on the stock is especially pleasing) having not got any further than the embedded link is that your (Xbox?) screencap footage or high-end PC? 

Loco sits down at Stalybridge sounds eminently realistic, off to the buffet for tea and snap whilst control dig up a sickly 31 to bolt on the front! 

40 & 08 add ons available too. 

I like the look of the Darlo'-Saltburn expansion too, needs a 56 add on for both routes pronto!

C6T. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Dom has got TSW 2019 on the PS4 and I think the newer version is better, things like you can’t jump on the tracks off a platform, when you open train door you can choose left or right rather than just opening both sides 

it’s very good, once you get used to the controls on the pad (rather than operating the throttle and brake etc  by looking at/selecting it on the screen) it’s pretty realistic

ive not played any of the European routes yet, the north Pennines route is what sold it to me, I gave £40 for the game with the added routes and locos (class 45 and 47 on the Pennine pack)

there is an offer on until the end of today on the Microsoft store where I can get the west Somerset add on for £10 and a class 33 for £8 which I may well do later but the tees route is still £25 which is a quite lot at the mo, I’ll see if it goes down in price soon and partake if it does 

the other add on is the heavy freight pack for the TP route which includes class 40 and 08 oil trains and shunting scenarios 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Classsix T said:

It looks fab Jim (the grime around the hinges on the stock is especially pleasing) having not got any further than the embedded link is that your (Xbox?) screencap footage or high-end PC? 

Loco sits down at Stalybridge sounds eminently realistic, off to the buffet for tea and snap whilst control dig up a sickly 31 to bolt on the front! 

40 & 08 add ons available too. 

Thats an Xbox screen capture

rhe grime on the coaches got me too, very well rendered 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Reorte said:

I'd rather like a decent VR train simulator. Although I'd probably end up demolishing the room if it included firing.

That the one thing that the PS4 version needs, I’d love to have a go at it through dom’s VR headset 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, big jim said:

That the one thing that the PS4 version needs, I’d love to have a go at it through dom’s VR headset 

It makes me wonder how much of the ability to really control a train comes from the feel. So you could reach out and operate a control in VR but how much of knowing exactly how things are running actually comes from having your hand on the controls and feeling them in a particular position? We're not able to get to that stage yet, but on the other hand it would be a lot closer than pressing keys on a keyboard or even dragging a level on the screen with a mouse or controller.

Maybe Jim can confirm, but I'd like to think the devs have made full use of the DualShock4's functionality on the Sony platform, thus rhythmic vibration to simulate track bumps and the speaker for release of the brakes, AWS etc. I would've.

C6T. 

• RMweb Gold
On 12/08/2019 at 18:55, Classsix T said:

The August PSN games are WipeOut Omega (which I already had purchased disc copy & installed) and Sniper Elite 4.

Judging by how my own PSN friends have been active, it seems Sony may have picked a couple of winners for its network subscribers this time around. I did take advantage of downloading SE4 though, it being on my 'one of these days' shopping list. 

Personally, whilst well aware how keen beast66606, manna and Scottystich are of the Sniper Elite franchise, I'd forgotten how good these games are! Part of the reason I hadn't got around to buying SE4 was that I have a pre-owned SE3 collecting dust in the library, it being sidelined whilst newer titles came along in the meantime that offered gaming riches. Whether they delivered or not...

Sniper Elite 4 though, let's see the ticked boxes in the C6T checklist:

Looks nice

Third person (that periferal vision thing)

Varied combat options

Multiple paths to target acquisition

Little or no player hand-holding, not constantly being told what or how to play

Kill fascists 

Dude's name is Karl (spelt wrong, so half a point off there, natch)

Big eff off railway gun like that Lima "Leopold" job I had

I can't say that any game has engaged me in such a way since RDR2, by that I mean leaving all others aside until I've finished. I am dipping back into GTSport for online competitions, but I missed a race on Saturday because I was engrossed in SE4! 

So I'm probably in the position of doing the Second World War in reverse. Finish the campaign in Italy, then (SE3) North Africa, do whatever the remastered SE2 needs and wait to see if Rebellion Games does a Pacific theatre, Eastern Front or Normandy invasion in the future.

Funny thing is though, it is called Sniper Elite. Whether it's my previous "training" on other stealth-em-ups I dunno but I feel the need to hide the bodies having searched them for (actively encouraged and sometimes essential) Intel. As such, the rifle gets less use than the silenced pistol and knife! Similarly the games makers have quite deliberately made the player aware that the 'grunt' troops the player is tasked to confront are occasionally family men. They've wives/girlfriends/parents/children. They are pissed off. Might be nice if there was a game mechanic where player only had to off the top brass. Maybe there is but as every kill garners xp, I was a one man execution squad on mission one. 

I've seen Das Boot, they aren't characters from Wolfenstien. But hey, it's a game.

Thoughts welcome friends, C6T. 

Welcome to SE4 and glad you've taken to it!

Did you get the extra add-on side mission package with it too?

I have to admit, I still haven't finished it, RDR2 and Golf (for real, in a non-simulated world - at least I don't think it's simulated - Not sure which colour pill I'd take.......) got in the way. But Winter, as they say, is coming.........

Incidentally, I picked up the free download of Detroit Becoming Human. Loved Heavy Rain in the past, struggled with other one...Something Souls? But Detroit looks pretty good on the basis of the first two or three scenes.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/08/2019 at 21:24, big jim said:

Off to work in a bit too

16ABEE0E-5B94-45BD-A7F6-DE68176BF20A.jpg

I love that route on the PS4 TSW, but by 'eck, the Peak struggles uphill, eh?

Cab Window open - Check

TV Sound up High - Check

Thrash open the throttle - CHECK

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottystitch said:

Welcome to SE4 and glad you've taken to it!

Did you get the extra add-on side mission package with it too?

I have to admit, I still haven't finished it, RDR2 and Golf (for real, in a non-simulated world - at least I don't think it's simulated - Not sure which colour pill I'd take.......) got in the way. But Winter, as they say, is coming.........

Incidentally, I picked up the free download of Detroit Becoming Human. Loved Heavy Rain in the past, struggled with other one...Something Souls? But Detroit looks pretty good on the basis of the first two or three scenes.

Yeh, I dunno what it says about me or my life that sometimes you just wanna cause fatal cranial injuries to others though!

Core game only. Given the SE4 aficionados comments earlier in thread of the versus modes I shall avoid that but more missions and the co-op are certainly tempting.

Am I right in saying that though the game is real life flawed in that the dead soldiers are left strewn about the place (his comrades eventually going back to normality, cover the poor sod up at least dude!) a discovered body will spawn more troops? Good programming if that's the case and something I can't say I've seen in other stealth titles.

Beyond Two Souls is the other game in the Quantic Dreams Trilogy. Three games I think everyone should at least have a go at once.

C6T. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm enjoying a taste of nostalgia.  A long time ago I really liked Transport Tycoon Deluxe, but then I upgraded my computer and TTD would no longer run.  Now I run Windows 10, so still no TTD.  However, I have discovered OpenTTD which runs perfectly on Windows 10, appears to be just like the old game only better thanks to a substantial number of enthusiasts who keep providing new add ons and graphics, and once again I am enthralled.  I know, no shooting, no terrific graphics, no fantastic sound track, but I love it.

DT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finished Days Gone.

I say finished. I played it till it unexpectedly stopped. All those tedious NERO missions to find out about the freakers and it just leaves that plot line for any potential sequel.

40 minutes ago, 30801 said:

Finished Days Gone.

I say finished. I played it till it unexpectedly stopped. All those tedious NERO missions to find out about the freakers and it just leaves that plot line for any potential sequel.

Ah, begrudgingly completed then, cos you'd sodding paid for it...

Your marks out of ten then if you would be so kind 30801? Actually, belay that, was there anything that you did actually enjoy that made you think it's not so bad? Perhaps worth picking up pre-owned? 

(I didn't actually mind Aliens: Colonial Marines but it got a panning...)

C6T. 

• RMweb Gold
On 20/08/2019 at 16:33, Classsix T said:

Yeh, I dunno what it says about me or my life that sometimes you just wanna cause fatal cranial injuries to others though!

Core game only. Given the SE4 aficionados comments earlier in thread of the versus modes I shall avoid that but more missions and the co-op are certainly tempting.

Am I right in saying that though the game is real life flawed in that the dead soldiers are left strewn about the place (his comrades eventually going back to normality, cover the poor sod up at least dude!) a discovered body will spawn more troops? Good programming if that's the case and something I can't say I've seen in other stealth titles.

Beyond Two Souls is the other game in the Quantic Dreams Trilogy. Three games I think everyone should at least have a go at once.

C6T. 

Co-op is good if you have a good team, but frustrating with numpties (not necessarily new to the game, just d-cks)

30 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Ah, begrudgingly completed then, cos you'd sodding paid for it...

Your marks out of ten then if you would be so kind 30801? Actually, belay that, was there anything that you did actually enjoy that made you think it's not so bad? Perhaps worth picking up pre-owned? 

(I didn't actually mind Aliens: Colonial Marines but it got a panning...)

C6T. 

It's not that bad. The story and voice acting are decent. The horde mechanic is impressive although I didn't particularly enjoy it but that's just my taste. The horde locations are punctuated by ridiculous numbers of red barrels to lure freakers past and make explode. There are three hordes that you have to destroy to complete the story. Dozens more optional ones.

The game is quite buggy often spawning a tough enemy right in front of you the instant the game loads. On one occasion it repeatedly dropped an entire horde on me after showing a mission complete cut scene making me redo the last part of the mission before instantly killing me with a horde again.

The NERO missions are unrelentingly awful. A helicopter drops off a squad of invincible soldiers along with a scientist. You have to sneak past the soldiers and evesdrop on the scientist to find out about freakers. Each one is the same. Rinse and repeat. The end game reward for all this nonsense is nothing whatsoever. If you play through the post end missions you get a cut scene but you're better off just looking on YouTube for it.

It's worth getting if you see it cheap. It does manage an atmosphere of creepy tension which I guess is the point.

31 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

Co-op is good if you have a good team, but frustrating with numpties (not necessarily new to the game, just d-cks)

Thanks Dave, just like real life then eh?! 

I'm making some good friends on GTSport these days and some of us share an interest in SE4 or RDR2 so wouldn't mind branching out into other online games. 

The offer is still open for PSN friendship to PlayStation Lounge regulars BTW, pm me here or search Classsix-T, whatever...

C6T. 

4 minutes ago, 30801 said:

It's not that bad. The story and voice acting are decent. The horde mechanic is impressive although I didn't particularly enjoy it but that's just my taste. The horde locations are punctuated by ridiculous numbers of red barrels to lure freakers past and make explode. There are three hordes that you have to destroy to complete the story. Dozens more optional ones.

The game is quite buggy often spawning a tough enemy right in front of you the instant the game loads. On one occasion it repeatedly dropped an entire horde on me after showing a mission complete cut scene making me redo the last part of the mission before instantly killing me with a horde again.

The NERO missions are unrelentingly awful. A helicopter drops off a squad of invincible soldiers along with a scientist. You have to sneak past the soldiers and evesdrop on the scientist to find out about freakers. Each one is the same. Rinse and repeat. The end game reward for all this nonsense is nothing whatsoever. If you play through the post end missions you get a cut scene but you're better off just looking on YouTube for it.

It's worth getting if you see it cheap. It does manage an atmosphere of creepy tension which I guess is the point.

Yeh, uh, I think I'll pass then. Sounds a little bit like they done their darndest to do the multiple sprite onscreen thing but forgot to attach it to a decent game. Shame.

Thanks for enduring and sharing though, appreciated. C6T.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Xbox live has forza motorsport 6 as a free game this month and the Microsoft store has the ultimate DLC bundle reduced from £80 to £7 which has all the available DLC included, would have been rude not to really!

not tried it yet but will give it a blast later 

also downloaded the heavy freight add on for TSW which includes classes 08 and 40 and oil trains etc 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1