Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I wonder how it compares to the Hornby 60 which was top of its game when it came out in 2006 ?

that was always seen as the top drawer diesel 

I've got one of the Hornby 60s (the Drax one), and a couple of the Hattons 66s.  I'd say the Hattons 66 is far better in terms of level of detail and the like. 

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I wonder how it compares to the Hornby 60 which was top of its game when it came out in 2006 ?

For a "fettled" Hattons 66 -  better than a Hornby 60.

My only gripe with the 60 was the swinging NEM coupling sticking and the erratic connection between chassis and cab mouldings for the head/tail lights when replacing the body.

And the lighting board is a PITA to alter it to DCC function controlled tail lights.

However - for its's day and for many years afterwards - unbeatable.

It's a bit difficult to compare them exactly - there are more variants of 66 than the 60 - and also lots more visible detail - such as on the chassis.

Back to Hattons 66s...……………..

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Just letting my keyboard cool in between living life on the edge,since this tread is about the Hattons 66,not retooling the Bachmann one or its better as its cheap now,

since its Daves thread anyway and he works there,i thought all of us who have bought one or six of these models would like at some point to know if the little niggles are going to be corrected,i will still be buying them as they are way beyond the Bachmann one anyway,the im not buying one yet boys will never be if he says no we are just leaving it as it is on all counts,Hattons dont sell Bachmann anymore do they,one wonders why,so if thats your choice fine,Hattons dont get your business.

The picture threads on pulling the bogies apart are helpful and i than the lad who has got stuck in and started to get his fleet he brought up to the real 99.5 avalability standard.

we just need radial steering on the model now,any chance Dave.

Yes, but you seem to be keeping on about it. Dave may not have answers yet and getting them from China takes time. Just give the guy a break, enjoy the model that you have and wait for an answer.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dicky L said:

Anyone who is put off by some of the comments here is seriously missing out. For me this loco raises the bar considerably and having purchased several already I have seen nothing to stop me wanting more.

I certainly aren't cancelling mine!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

TBH I don't think there is a contest! But I don't think my Hornby 60007 was the best loco on my layout before this. I think I prefer the 67 (mine is one of the new Belmond ones), despite the fuel tank being the wrong shape, the Dapol 68 and the Bachmann 90 to the 60. This 66 is better than them all IMO in detail and features (w.r.t. the lighting, I don't think its fair to bring the 90's pantograph into the comparison!), and the niggles I have with mine will certainly not outlast the continual niggle I have with the 60's snowplough/airdam thingy which will fall off regularly but is not practical to glue on in case I decide to take the NEM off one end.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Just letting my keyboard cool in between living life on the edge,since this tread is about the Hattons 66,not retooling the Bachmann one or its better as its cheap now,

since its Daves thread anyway and he works there,i thought all of us who have bought one or six of these models would like at some point to know if the little niggles are going to be corrected,i will still be buying them as they are way beyond the Bachmann one anyway,the im not buying one yet boys will never be if he says no we are just leaving it as it is on all counts,Hattons dont sell Bachmann anymore do they,one wonders why,so if thats your choice fine,Hattons dont get your business.

The picture threads on pulling the bogies apart are helpful and i than the lad who has got stuck in and started to get his fleet he brought up to the real 99.5 avalability standard.

looking at a couple of points you raise....

i thought all of us who have bought one or six of these models would like at some point to know if the little niggles are going to be corrected?

the issue regarding the light problem on some locos answered with a no we can’t fix it, sorry

the im not buying one yet boys will never be if he says no we are just leaving it as it is on all counts

certainly true in my case, well until they end up in the bargain bin as spares or repair anyway!

Hattons dont sell Bachmann anymore do they,one wonders why

lots of speculation over the how’s and why’s if you can be bothered looking 

i hope that’s tongue in cheek, seems the model can’t go in a straight line without a wobble yet alone Get the centre axle to steer round corners! 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I think Hattons have done great job with the 66. When you look at what is currently in stock on their website and available to purchase today there are only 43 variations left out of a possible 93. Sales speaks volumes here, all the digital versions have pretty much sold out and virtually no DCC sound.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Nothing wrong with Didcot 3rd Rail Exile......I grew up there and spent many a happy hour sneaking into the shed (that’s the link to the 66) when it was working.

4 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

No one is getting at Dave asking a question,as for being busy while im asking the question here he was doing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBaXdtvAUzs

if only i had known i could have asked Harriet,sorry Dave the question there.

I thought thas what these pages were for,ask questions and gain knowlege of experts who frequent them.

Well engineered no,ive spent 55 years in engineering and as said if they need drilled out it should have been picked up before production

There is so much so good on it spoilt by silly  quality errors.

I'm pretty sure that's not the Dave that started this thread about the 66, and all the other threads about hattons originals.

47 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

click below for page one and at the top who posted first information here

I stand corrected. Thought it was the Dave that free at last has posted the link for that was the Dave that manages all the projects and would know the answers to the questions everyone has.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

No worries,you are thinking of Dave Mylett who is the project manager,this is another Dave who does the livestream with Jack,i guess that anoys Jill but hey ho.

Would just be nice to know if Future models will be of a better standard,not the ones thats in the releases as hes said they are not being repaired a while back.

My fault, I posted the wrong link to Dave Mylett.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

There’s at least two Daves at Hattons. Dave that you often see in the videos and Dave who manages the projects.

Go on then. (breaking my own post)

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 7013 said:

Nothing wrong with Didcot 3rd Rail Exile......I grew up there and spent many a happy hour sneaking into the shed (that’s the link to the 66) when it was working.

I guess it's the rose between two thorns (Swindon and Reading) ;) . It's just not the ideal place for someone whose primary interests are SR and BR(SR), and specifically (due to birthplace) the former South Eastern division of the Southern Region.  But work led me to the area 30 years ago, and ever since I've been trying to understand the fascination some have with the "local" railway here!  It's nice being able to watch sheds going past the window though...

Edited by 3rd Rail Exile

49 minutes ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

I guess it's the rose between two thorns (Swindon and Reading) ;) . It's just not the ideal place for someone whose primary interests are SR and BR(SR), and specifically (due to birthplace) the former South Eastern division of the Southern Region.  But work led me to the area 30 years ago, and ever since I've been trying to understand the fascination some have with the "local" railway here!  It's nice being able to watch sheds going past the window though...

You ain’t making no friends here either....!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Has anybody has issues getting the night lamps to work using DCC functions on one of the older style locos with the separate marker and tail lamps, either with factory sound or another decoder with a lot of functions? I am struggling with 66789 to get them to work, along with the cab lights. I can get the LED to light if I use the 6 function mode, but on my other one I can get everything to change with the switches set for Loksound V5. Not sure it it's (another) design error or I have a dodgy loco.

• RMweb Premium

Cab lights are not enabled with a 6-function decoder. It's was mentioned much further upthread.

The Loksound V5 as supplied has more function outputs, so has more flexibility in operation.

From what I cn work out:

A non-sound decoder with more than 6 functions (Some Zimo and V5 Lokpilot for example?)  would need the outputs mapped to operate under various F keys and switches set to Loksound configuration.

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Has anybody has issues getting the night lamps to work using DCC functions on one of the older style locos with the separate marker and tail lamps, either with factory sound or another decoder with a lot of functions?

The night mode headlights initially didn't work on my factory-fitted sound 66033, however it turned out to be that the inside switches had been set in the wrong position.  I'm guessing though that this isn't what you mean?

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, newbryford said:

Cab lights are not enabled with a 6-function decoder. It's was mentioned much further upthread.

The Loksound V5 as supplied has more function outputs, so has more flexibility in operation.

From what I cn work out:

A non-sound decoder with more than 6 functions (Some Zimo and V5 Lokpilot for example?)  would need the outputs mapped to operate under various F keys and switches set to Loksound configuration.

What I mean is that I have 2 Lokpilot V5 MKLs (which have the same functionality as a Loksound V5 minus sound) and 2 66s. On one loco, with either Lokpilot V5 MKL I can access the full suite of lighting with the switches set to operate like on the sound locos (1,2,4,5 up, 3,6 down) On the other running through all the functions to identify the aux output associated with each light it won't operate night or cabs.

But I know the LEDs and the end lighting boards themselves work as if I go back to 6 function mode all works as it should.