Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

I'm now able to reveal details about the sound versions of our forthcoming OO Gauge Class 66.

Head over to the announcement thread to read up on our new Sure Sound range.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/136438-sure-sound-and-rail-rumble-class-66/

I hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 4

Hi Dave

This may have been asked already but how do you envisage them being released, will it be a Big Bang approach with all the variants being out at once or a trickle coming through such as a few each month as I have a few on order and would like to be able to spread purchases if able?

I'm not sure Bachmann would be able to produce them quickly enough.  Aren't the Hattons ones due in six months?  It'll be interesting what happens with the Bachmann 66 - the prices are already not too far south of the Hattons price.  

Bachmann may not produce them fast enough but could affect sales of certain/special liveries if they make them or get an exclusive license that doesn't allow anyone else to use the same livery. 

I saw one the other day it had a news paper in the cab it may have been the 'Sun' not sure, but can we have a 66 like that...sorry its the heat :senile:

I thought it might be of interest to people to know about detail differences. If these things are not documented somewhere they just get overlooked until someone eventually asks the question why and no one has a clue. I shall remove the photo.

Edited by PM47079

• RMweb Gold

I don’t know why you felt the need to remove the picture just because no one has acknowledged it

I was actually going to reply to your post with a pic earlier in the week anyway as I now have a new obsession of trying to find a 6) with a cabinet that’s not one of the ones on your list you deleted

I got on a 66 last week for the first time in a few months the other day I realised I was wrong about the door, I thought they had been removed however I see from the (now removed) picture that the locos you mention have a ‘cabinet’ around the battery switch where as the one I got on (Colas ex freightliner loco) doesn’t have the cabinet at all

3D0386F5-1988-4D8B-9F2F-657EDB72533D.jpg

It would be useful for you to repost the pic to compare as I’m interested even if no one else is

• Like 1

It wasn't the lack of comments. It was the fact I think I was boring one of the posters on the page. I don't really do class 66s but thought It would be useful to have a picture in case hattons want to include it on a model. I noticed that 66727 has the same set up as well so it would be all the 66s from the first gbrf barbie livery batch. This is 66593post-29694-0-29690200-1534149198_thumb.jpg

Edited by PM47079
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to place a pre order for "whichever version is produced first" ?

Someone feel free to correct me but I'm pretty sure that Dave advised some time ago that 66789 'large logo' and 66783 'Biffa' would be the first models to arrive.

Edited by YesTor

• RMweb Premium

Is it possible to place a pre order for "whichever version is produced first" ?

They announced that 66789 will be the first

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/133954-class-66-in-oo-gauge-new-announcement/?view=findpost&p=3159507

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold

Is that a separately fitted part for the horn grill? 

If so my thoughts for modelling an as built 66001 go up a notch.  If you ever think about selling off the pre production models I would definitely be interested in a candidate for conversion...

• RMweb Gold

Great looking EP.

I love the idea of the rotating axleboxes. These are such a feature of GM locos. This feature would have been brilliant on the Murphy Models Irish locos.

Perhaps Hattons may be able to come to an arrangement with MM.

Colin

• RMweb Gold

Great looking EP.

I love the idea of the rotating axleboxes. These are such a feature of GM locos. This feature would have been brilliant on the Murphy Models Irish locos.

Perhaps Hattons may be able to come to an arrangement with MM.

Colin

Love the idea, not a clue how I will make it work in P4, but will have a crack

• Like 1

Looks a great model although out of my era. It maybe too late to correct but just in case, the size of the headlight and taillight in the light clusters seem out of proportion with each other, the headlight appears too big and tail light too small? 

Absolutely great to see the first pre-production model of the 66!  :)

First impressions – the front end detail is very nice indeed, the metal anchor/lifting lugs are a very cool touch, the WIPAC lights appear very crisply-moulded (although I do agree with a previous comment regarding the size of the clustered headlight compared to the marker lights being questionable).  The front-end metal steps appear finely-depicted and the buffers look pretty substantial/weighty too (something very often lacking on many models).  And of course the one-piece/seamless front end is a vast improvement over the Bachmann model.  Beautiful!

The bogies look absolutely superb, again appearing of an adequately weighty/substantial appearance, and it does also appear from the photos that the model generally sits very well – another very important factor on any model.  The bogie steps are also noticeably very finely-moulded – a most welcome change.  And absolutely loving all of the added fuel tank detail and pipework, and of course the linkage from the solebar to bogies etc, dampers, pipework, sandpipes, metal lifting lugs etc.  Absolutely superb!

All of the above said, there are one or two areas that immediately catch my eye as to perhaps being 'not quite right', so to speak, so with the greatest respect hopefully I can air what will hopefully be viewed as 'constructive criticism'...

Bodyside grill (exhaust end):

This grill appears slightly too shallow with regard to its height - either that or the lower frame is too wide - thus taking up space where the grill should extend downwards?  It's probably only a millimeter (or less) but to my eye it does make the grill appear generally of the wrong height/proportion in relation to the blank space immediately below.  In short, it simply doesn't look quite right.  Hopefully the photographs below will illustrate...

post-5822-0-24958200-1535590932_thumb.jpg

Of course, the above assumes that the door handle recesses are correctly sized and positioned, where to be fair it might be that the recesses appear just very slightly too large on your latest rendition?  Incidentally, I also agree with a previous comment that the cab door handrails protrude slightly too far.

Additionally, looking above at the prototype and also the initial 3D-printed model and there is a very obvious vertical/corrugated pattern within the grill itself, something which appears to be absent from the etched grill on the photo of the latest model, which here at least appears somewhat 'flat'/lacking somehow by comparison?

All bodyside grills:

Lastly, I fully appreciate that there are limitations to the process of etching, and I am also trying to take into account that very often oversize photographs of even the best models can often be very cruel - however my final, and possibly the most important point regarding the grills - is that to my eye all of the bodyside grills simply seem to appear just that little bit too much (and perhaps unnecessarily) overscale? 

Looking again at the photos above and using the exhaust-end side grill as an example, and you appear to have a total of 29 holes within the space of a 12mm height grill.  Okay, now, for comparison I have in front of me Shawplan's recent (2017) etch for the Class 26/27/33 side grill (incidentally one of the finest etched grills I think I have seen), whereby within a similar 12mm length a total of 46 holes are very comfortably and very neatly etched - and when scaled-down that's quite a difference in appearance.  Of course, anyone that wishes to go one step further will say that the holes on the Shawplan grill are indeed supposedly 'square', whereas the holes in the Hatton's grill are circular and are supposed to resemble a 'mesh'.  Agreed, however, I would defy even the most sharp-eyed to be able to distinguish a square from a circle at this scale, as these holes really are incredibly tiny.  Again, I have included a photo below to help illustrate my point. 

post-5822-0-84472800-1535593792_thumb.jpg

Another aspect very worthy of mention which is not obvious from the photo, is that the grill in question is not only very fine and very smooth but also incredibly transparent - especially when considering the incredibly tiny scale of the holes -  and also when taking account of being able to see any detail that might be seated behind the grill, which, if I am not mistaken is to be one of the key features of your model?  And again, looking at the grills on the side of your first pre-production 66 and I am a little curious as to just how much detail inside the model may (or indeed may not) end up being visible? 

Cabside windows:

The small pane with the rubber grommet/frame somehow doesn't seem quite the right shape (if anything a little bit too square-ish?), see comparison below...

post-5822-0-09249300-1535594506.jpg

Additionally, looking at the photo above and it appears that the vertical bar between the rubber-grommeted pane and the metal-framed sliding panes is actually part of the bodyshell moulding?  I have to say that to my eye this appears a little too thick/'chunky' and also seems to result in an exaggerated 'fishbowl' effect on the glazing overall, clearly due to having to squeeze in what amounts to a very tiny window pane in one corner? 

As such - and believe me I hate to compare to a previous model at this stage, as I appreciate that you are very much attempting to push this model to the 'next level' - but as very lacking as Bachmann's 66 was in general, I do feel that one area that was difficult to fault on their 'shed' was indeed the cab windows/glazing arrangement.  Again, photo included below, whereby the three panes that form the cabside window are all formed as one single glazing unit, thus avoiding the need for what appears to be an [albeit slightly] over-thick vertical window bar, and thus the elimination of any unsightly 'goldfish bowl' effect seemingly created by having an extra pane to glaze separately.  And most importantly a glazing assembly that overall appears to be thinner, more transparent, generally more flush-fitting and overall more refined in appearance.  Certainly I would have guessed that this already tried-and-tested approach would provide greater visibility for another advertised feature of your model, ie. cab interior detailing. 

In short, comparing the photo above of the current pre-production example and the photo below of Bachmann's existing model and I can't help but feel that the arrangement above is perhaps quite a step backwards in comparison...?

post-5822-0-15824300-1535595379.jpg

Best

Al

Edited by YesTor

Looks really nice.  Only observations I would make at this stage are:

Rotating axleboxes are not centrally aligned, does the centre headlight "stick out" a little too much, and from looking at the photos (maybe just the angle) - the door handles look moulded, although expect they are not.

A Class 37 and Class 47 would make interesting follow on projects.......

Regards,

C.

• Like 1

...does the centre headlight "stick out" a little too much, and from looking at the photos (maybe just the angle).

Good point.  There is definitely some variation as to how far the main headlight protrudes from the front end.  I do not know exactly where the changes occur but it would seem likely that the initial EWS batch (66001 - 66250) and perhaps some of the very early Freightliner examples appear to have a less-protruding headlight assembly, while later examples (certainly later Freightliner and DRS, GBRf etc) definitely extend slightly further and seem to have a more 'boxy' look about them.  Again, when reduced to 4mm scale I'd guess the difference might well be no more than a millimeter, but it is certainly worth looking at.

...of course, not to mention 66747 - 66751 which were the German- and Dutch-imported examples which are a whole different ballgame with regard to the front end (headlights, horn grills, buffer beams etc nearly all being different/unique), not to mention different sized fuel tanks etc; although I would imagine that any manufacturer might well avoid these specific examples as additional tooling might be required to model a fairly unique loco.  And who was it that said all 'sheds' are the same...  :)

post-5822-0-76612600-1535636837.jpg    post-5822-0-92039400-1535636855.jpg

post-5822-0-89638200-1535636877_thumb.jpg    post-5822-0-92383200-1535636892_thumb.jpg

Edited by YesTor