Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

How can you say hattons have a grasp on the modern diesel loco market after a single announcement?

And off the back of that announcement the one ‘extra’ loco people are clambering to order and has shown the most interest more than the others is one that has been bolted on to the run after numerous suggestions and requests on here (and other places no doubt)

I’m certainly looking forward to getting a hattons 66 (large logo one when I order it) but I certainly won’t be replacing my Bachmann items with them as personally I don’t see anything wrong with them

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Preorder for 66789 placed. Hopefully one of the Royal Scotsman pair and Evening Star get announced in time too. Will definitely add them to my collection to haul my Royal Scotsman im building.

• Like 1

I hope it's okay to provide some feedback regarding the CAD images... 

...in that it might be worth mentioning that there are two distinctly different types of sandbox in use on the Class 66, as built:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jonf45sphotos/26788417789

https://www.flickr.com/photos/32755955@N05/15787091701/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/offroadanonymous/16093913841/

It is a little difficult to tell for sure from the angle of the CAD images, however it would appear from comparing the sandboxes on the low-emission and standard variants that all sandboxes are showing identical?  As far as I am aware, examples from 66752 onwards were built with the larger style sandbox, whereas examples prior to 66752 (whether they were low-emission or standard) were all built with the original style sandbox (as I think are pictured in the CADs).

Maybe someone could clarify if examples from 66752 will be produced with the later style sandboxes?

cheers

Al

Edited by YesTor

How can you say hattons have a grasp on the modern diesel loco market after a single announcement?

And off the back of that announcement the one ‘extra’ loco people are clambering to order and has shown the most interest more than the others is one that has been bolted on to the run after numerous suggestions and requests on here (and other places no doubt)

I’m certainly looking forward to getting a hattons 66 (large logo one when I order it) but I certainly won’t be replacing my Bachmann items with them as personally I don’t see anything wrong with them

I think I have a similar view - I'll get 66705 as I don't have that already - but in terms of replacing I think I'll just have to see how it all goes.

I said they seem to have a grasp considering they have just announced a major new Class 66 with 31 different variants/liveries which obviously points to a part of the modern diesel market where they will get sales and a return on their investment, I would think Hatton's have done their homework and are not blindly walking into a loss making exercise.

I've pre-ordered 5 myself (incl. 66789) with a potential to buy more afterwards and that's just me let alone anyone else out there within the railway modelling community.

I also won't be replacing my Bachmann Limited Editions (8 in total) but will be getting rid of both my standard Bachmann Colas/DRS ones and have them replaced by Hatton's and from this point will not be purchasing anymore Bachmann 66's.

Edited by classy52

Concerning the question, I think they probably have more sales data than any RTR manufacturer out there. They are big fish with a lion's share and will know what colours sold in what proportions from which manufacturer.

I never saw anything particularly wrong with Hornby's previous version of the Duchess but they stand out once alongside their new version. I suspect you will see a wealth of qualities with the new 66 vs the old once you have it.

Of course, the expense of replacing all previously brought versions (which are still good, hardly life expired) with the new, probably means those with a  number of people are generally not going to replace them 1 for 1. I did not replace my Duchesses and only supplemented them with one example and that was one never done before (the Ivatt version).

Hattons may only be limited in choice of liveries IF some of those previously done had been exclusive rights to just Bachmann or Hornby for a scale model train.

You spoke, we listened!

Any news on what sound will be used in the engines - like I said earlier Oiliva's sound projects are not the best on the market, despite being priced alongside them. As a result, I would think it better for Hattons to ensure that others or their own custom job are done and installed.

Simply for the reason of the sound files being unknown I have ordered engines with no sound installed. I would recommend the DC/Kits and Biffo team to be the ones to approach to get the best sounds at the right price for install. I also think they would map out sound decoders to make most use of the lighting that the model will allow to be displayed.

I'm sure, given the ratings that my post got before, that I and many others would be interested to know in advance the source of the sound files for the project or how easy it would be to install your own decoder that you have purchased.  

I'm far from being a class 66 fan, they are far too late for my chosen time period and I get bored of seeing them at work... But I ordered a Colas one when they were announced, then yesterday when I saw 66789 in large logo blue had been added I had to order that too! I still don't like 66's but I couldn't resist these!

I'd vote for the Royal Scotsman pair too.

As for sound, I've just gone for DCC ones, but if the Scotsman pair (or just one of them) were done I'd want sound, but if the sound files were supplied by Olivias I would definitely pass and just get the standard version and add superior sound by biffo or someone else later.

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

We're currently reviewing options for sound provision in our factory fitted models.

I'll be sure to update you all as soon as I can.

Cheers,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

I also won't be replacing my Bachmann Limited Editions (8 in total) but will be getting rid of both my standard Bachmann Colas/DRS ones and have them replaced by Hatton's and from this point will not be purchasing anymore Bachmann 66's.

TBH that last sentence is sort of how I feel, but it’s more to do with price than anything, don’t get me wrong I love the Bachmann 66 (I think I have about 15 of them, standard and ltds ed ones) and as I say I don’t have an issue with them at all but when the ad flashes up at the top of the page for LTD ED rails 66s at £250+ (ok with sound) then ‘whim’ buys of liveries I fancy just don’t happen any more be it ltd ed or standard release, there are certainly a good half dozen 66s I’ve passed up on the last 12 months purely coz I can’t afford them, the last couple I bought were the LUL livery pair and paying £150+ for those was through gritted teeth, hence why I’m only going to order a singular hattons one (for now) which let’s face it If it was released as a Bachmann ltd ed by a retailer would probably be £25 more than the current asking price

TBH that last sentence is sort of how I feel, but it’s more to do with price than anything, don’t get me wrong I love the Bachmann 66 (I think I have about 15 of them, standard and ltds ed ones) and as I say I don’t have an issue with them at all but when the ad flashes up at the top of the page for LTD ED rails 66s at £250+ (ok with sound) then ‘whim’ buys of liveries I fancy just don’t happen any more be it ltd ed or standard release, there are certainly a good half dozen 66s I’ve passed up on the last 12 months purely coz I can’t afford them, the last couple I bought were the LUL livery pair and paying £150+ for those was through gritted teeth, hence why I’m only going to order a singular hattons one (for now) which let’s face it If it was released as a Bachmann ltd ed by a retailer would probably be £25 more than the current asking price

Yes totally agree with you, luckily I only have ten 66's in which 8 are the most recent, some colourful, Limited Editions including the current 2 from Rails which I do not regret buying even though this Hatton's announcement came out days after getting them.

As I've said earlier I have pre-ordered 5 DCC Ready versions to replace the 2 standard ones I have plus 3 new named 66 additions but as for me the jury is still out on the sound option until Hatton's can confirm their setup with DCC Sound plus it's something I can worry about later as long as I can get the models first without going bankrupt, I love buying modern era model trains and probably have way too much for my own good but you only live once.

Afternoon all,

We're currently reviewing options for sound provision in our factory fitted models.

I'll be sure to update you all as soon as I can.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Is that a DLR unit you're working on in your avatar?  :onthequiet: 

• RMweb Gold

Excellent news and a pre-order placed. Looking forward to receiving it next year.

I also don’t have a massive problem with how the Bachmann model looks but I have had various issues with running qualities over the years. Nothing I couldn’t fix but certainly spent some time faffing with them. I won’t buy anymore now this new model has been announced but I also won’t be offloading my current Bachmann ones.

I would also like to say that “The Fying Dustman” would be one that I would hesitate ordering. Fingers crossed.

Andy

• Like 1

I would also like to say that “The Fying Dustman” would be one that I would hesitate ordering. Fingers crossed.

You and me both, Andy.  I would hesitate ordering that until the end of time  :angel:

Andy

Do you mean 'would not hesitate ordering'...I certainly wouldn't and hope Hatton's do Biffa as well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Hattons for announcing 66789. 

66783 appears to be a popular loco in Biffa livery. Would it be possible to open a separate thread and vote to see which other numbers and liveries customers would like to see announced/produced? 

Please could we have 66783 in Biffa livery too? 

Now to decide which Class 66s I am going to buy. I have a feeling that this could be an expensive exercise. 

Edited by DRS Crewe On A Mission
  • Like 1