Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

Oh, FFS. I'd already ordered an EWS one, and now I'm going to add 66789...

Still - It's my birthday today, so at least I have a decent excuse.

Surprised they didn't announce another 66779. It was named two years ago today :-)

Cheers

Rob

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Up until a few minutes ago, I was so resisting another 66..................

Cheers,

Mick

Me too - and I'm not even modelling anymore ! however my old Hattons account may be resurrected.

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Would you be able to provide further details on the DCC Sound version for the new 66's?

Stuff like the make/model/type of sound decoder, type of speaker and source of the sound files that will be used?

Very much appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

What is refreshing about Hattons and Rails is that several liveries in one go rather than over several years. There are clearly economies to be had by massive batches of models across several liveries and for modellers there is something for everyone.

How many times has a new model come out and several people go but what about x livery.

So will it be a 47 next?

Fantastic news. The bachman model has been outdated for a while and ive been saying it needs updating a couple of years ago. We have to move on. Next for the brave is to do the same with the class 37!!

...and Class 47.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Would you be able to provide further details on the DCC Sound version for the new 66's?

Stuff like the make/model/type of sound decoder, type of speaker and source of the sound files that will be used?

Very much appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

I had an email dialogue with Hattons on this subject.  The reply advised the decoder will be the ESU LokSound V4 but they have not yet decided upon the sound programme.  The speaker is also to be decided.

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Genius...I love you guys and now for GBRf 66783 Biffa please.

It is genius . Cut Bachmann off at the pass just in case they were announcing a limited edition, and available in 10 months . A colourscheme not(yet) available elsewhere got to increase the popularity of this model. And once people have sampled this model and the promised quality, they might go after something more mainstream livery wise, thus increasing overall orders . Really brilliant move and interactive too!

Please Hattons Dave can we have the GBRf 66783 Biffa .

I have had a Bachmann one resprayed but I am very disappointed with it it’s poor job.

I will be buying a few Hattons 66s

Edited by Monkey28

Hi,

unlike the SLW class 24 there is not mention in the spec about the potential of converting to EM / P4. If this is to be the ultimate class 66 then this is a must. Or even better lets follow the same idea and have EM / P4 as a factory fitted option for a reasonable price.

Cheers

Alan

First I want to thank Hattons for producing the Class 66 in so many variations.

I have sometimes complained about their customer service in the past but I reward their efforts to bring new models on the market.

30 liveries (or 31 from today) is a huge amount for one release. 10 or 20 would do it also in my eyes. If you look on other continental or american manufacturers the available amount of 10 or more liveries of one locomotive at the same time is not unusual. The great advantage is that you don‘t have to wait years before you get a specific model. Bachmann and Hornby do sometimes only 1-3 liveries/year and sometimes none which is very disappointing for most customers. Some liveries are produced just once in 10+ years (e.g. Scotrail or Arriva stuff).

I can imagine that some people at Bachmann HQ are a little nervous about this development.

I hope Hattons will also do a Shanks 66 again. A Belmond Royal Scotsman 66 would be also very nice.

I‘ll go at least for the 66528 and the 66789 in the first batch.

Thumbs up for Hattons!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I was going to sit and wait till I saw these before ordering as I have quite a few Bachmann versions. The large logo version has got me though... which will no doubt lead to others.

And if the Royal Scotsman pair was available...

• Like 1

I was going to sit and wait till I saw these before ordering as I have quite a few Bachmann versions. The large logo version has got me though... which will no doubt lead to others.

And if the Royal Scotsman pair was available...

I was the same; I have a number of Bachmann 66s, but wasn't in a rush to replace them unless something special like that came along

I was impressed by the initial announcement, spec, price and delivery schedule. And having seen both the previous locos, an not concerned about the quality! I was looking forward to watching the shed develop and arrive, but wasn't bothered about owning one, more what influences it might end up having on the industry as a whole.

Then.

66789 gets announced! I have been toying with the idea of picking up a second hand Bachmann one for repainting, but this is looking like a superb model (before paint goes near it!)

So, like the Bullet Club, I'm All In!

It's BR blue so will go nicely on Whitborough Quayside, my 80s layout!

Looking forward to more developments, and whatever follows!

Cheers

J

• Like 1

Hornby do sometimes only 1-3 liveries/year and sometimes none which is very disappointing for most customers. Some liveries are produced just once in 10+ years (e.g. Scotrail or Arriva stuff).

This is why Hornby rarely get my money when it comes to present day diesel/liveries (i.e. 2010 onwards), for example they have only done 1 DB Red Class 60 (about 4 years ago) & now rare as hen's teeth & 1 Colas Class 60 and you'll probably won't see another one for a while.

Also why wouldn't they do a pair of Colas 67's instead they release just 1 (Charlotte) which apparently will be very difficult to rename/renumber because of the side ribbing thus we will probably wait another 2 years before they release Stella, they probably won't even introduce new liveries for their Class 56 either.

Anyway unlike Hornby, Hatton's and even Bachmann seem to have a better grasp on the modern diesel loco market where personally I don't think Hornby give a crap unless it's Steam related, granted if you're into modern GWR then you seem well catered for but outside of that it is pretty slim pickings or drip fed thus I welcome other players like Hatton's/Kernow/Rails who aren't afraid to give what the customers want when it comes to modern diesels.

Hopefully this will continue and we'll see new re-tooled Class 37's, 47's or even a Class 86 if the other two big names can't be bothered.

• Like 1