What an idiot! (That’s me I’m talking about)

Spent the last couple of evenings hacking the layout around to introduce some new variety and finished laying the track last night. It had dried by lunchtime today and in spare moment I switched it on to get a dead short :(

Checked everything l, disconnected feedback modules, disconnected auto reversers but no luck, still shorting - so I left it until I felt like looking at it.

I went into the room 10 mins ago to get a pair of pliers and I noticed a loco sat over a point and when I had switched the layout on the point had changed back to default - causing a short circuit!

Nothing wrong with the wiring, nothing wrong with the changes - just me being a total plonker!

Iain

• Like 1

You are in probably a lot of company! I completed track laying on a DC layout many years ago, tried it out, only for the red button on the transformer to pop up every time, no matter what I checked, until I saw a tiny pair of pincers I had been using, lying across the track. Easily done......he says.

• RMweb Gold

You were lucky I accidentally put a short Y electrofrog in mine but for some reason I didn't think Peco did an electrofrog version of that ( don't ask me why!) more or less pulled all my wiring to bits until I found it

I did a similar thing when setting up the club layout for an 

exhibition once. I was placing the road vehicles and loose

buildings and had left the container on the track.

They were trying to test the layout and it took quite a while

to realise it was the biscuit tin causing everything to short out! 

Is there anyone here who hasn't shorted out their layout by leaving a steel rule, pair of metal pliers, hammer or screwdriver across the tracks, then spending ages trying to find the cause? Raise your hand if you can honestly say you haven't.  :)

My hands are staying firmly down on this one. :D

Edited by SRman

Is there anyone here who hasn't shorted out their layout by leaving a steel rule, pair of metal pliers, hammer or screwdriver across the tracks, then spending ages trying to find the cause? Raise your hand if you can honestly say you haven't.  :)

My hands are staying firmly down on this one. :D

Me.

Okay I am lying.