CDA wagons and Clayhoods

This is not really a "discussion" more an observation I had only just realised, but this year marks the 30th anniversary of the introduction of the CDAs onto local clay workings.

That is twice as long as the iconic hoods were in traffic!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is not really a "discussion" more an observation I had only just realised, but this year marks the 30th anniversary of the introduction of the CDAs onto local clay workings.

That is twice as long as the iconic hoods were in traffic!

Not really true, the clay opens built by BR were introduced c1955 so they also lasted 30 years or so. The hoods were a simple addition. But yes, all an uncomfortably long time ago!

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

Presumably now they’re one of the last regular traffic flows using two axle wagons?

I wonder what the life span of a typical wagon is and how much longer these can be expected to last? The worry would be that new bogie wagons would require much work at Fowey docks so perhaps the traffic will just transfer to road? There is far less clay traffic now than when they were introduced.

Presumably now they’re one of the last regular traffic flows using two axle wagons?

I wonder what the life span of a typical wagon is and how much longer these can be expected to last? The worry would be that new bogie wagons would require much work at Fowey docks so perhaps the traffic will just transfer to road? There is far less clay traffic now than when they were introduced.

Design life of underframes was laid down by the BRB as 40 years, with bodies replaced after 20. This is pretty much what happened with the mineral wagon fleets, including the MGR hoppers. They don't do a huge mileage, so they're probably good for a few more years yet.

Not really true, the clay opens built by BR were introduced c1955 so they also lasted 30 years or so. The hoods were a simple addition. But yes, all an uncomfortably long time ago!

Paul

I meant the actual "hoods" introduced in 73 as opposed to the wagons they sat on to keep the rain out :)

As to the possible future life span of the CDA, they must only do about 30 miles a day each - one trip from Goonbarrow down to Fowey and back.

It will be interesting to see what the future does hold for clay on rail - Cornwall County Council are not in favour of many more road movements AFAIK but who would pay for any  alterations to suit a new type of wagon at Fowey?

Edited by LBRJ