The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Russian city maps - guess the city

Harry Lime

Something to keep you amused over tea/coffee! Unless you speak Russian, in which case, this ought to be easy!

https://www.theguardian.com/atom/quiz/4c34f0ae-ed93-4057-99f2-591e731957d0/cities/ng-interactive/2018/apr/27/quiz-map-world-city-soviet-cold-war-spy

Almost posted this, too, but spotted yours just in time.

Managed 8 correct in a few mins (without cheating!). 3 wrong! Still, that's an A by university essay standards!

• Like 1

Almost posted this, too, but spotted yours just in time.

Managed 8 correct in a few mins (without cheating!). 3 wrong! Still, that's an A by university essay standards!

Depends which university though...

• RMweb Premium

Something to keep you amused over tea/coffee! Unless you speak Russian, in which case, this ought to be easy!

https://www.theguardian.com/atom/quiz/4c34f0ae-ed93-4057-99f2-591e731957d0/cities/ng-interactive/2018/apr/27/quiz-map-world-city-soviet-cold-war-spy

Which one has the biggest percentage of road crashes?

• RMweb Gold

I get a 404, I reckon the Ruskys beat me to it.

Expecting a strange package to be delivered now.

Mike.

Avoid touching your front door handle too?

You don't need to be able to speak Russian, so long as you can read the Cyrillic alphabet - a lot of the place and street names are simply transliterations from Roman in to Cyrillic (they seem to have had fun transliterating Regents Park!)  Although a bit of general knowledge comes in handy too, like knowing that part of Copenhagen is called Christianshavn (which is also potentially confusing, since Christiania is an old name for Oslo - and gives its name to the stem christie ski turn, allegedly).

The quiz was actually published a while ago.  When I clicked on the link in the OP, it still had my original answers highlighted!  10/11 in case you were wondering: I got the last one wrong, which is daft because the main railway station is clearly marked "ТОКИО" (although using the "u" form of the "И" character).

Woah! 11/11!!! Knowing my railways helped with one that I might not have got otherwise: I was struggling with one where a water feature is... a touch misleading when I thought"hang on, that's just like the route configuration around Mission Tower". And it was.

• Like 2

Woah! 11/11!!! Knowing my railways helped with one that I might not have got otherwise: I was struggling with one where a water feature is... a touch misleading when I thought"hang on, that's just like the route configuration around Mission Tower". And it was.

ϹПОИЛЕР АЛЕРТ

Edited by Edwin_m