DCC Concepts ADS8fx not remembering direction

Harry

• RMweb Gold

Apologies if this is a simple error on my part but I have recently fitted a DCC Concepts ADS8fx to control the seep motors in my fiddle yard.

It is a solid piece of kit and very easy to wire and set addresses and can easily throw 3 or 4 N gauge points at a time!

However, I'm finding that it doesn't remember which way the points are set each time I turn off and back on and as a result, trains often short out the system when they travel over the points for the first time.

I can solve it by switching each point once after turning it on so it remembers the address and before running any trains but I already have 15+ points and there will be in excess of 30 when this part of layout is finished so that will be a lot of points to cycle through each time I turn on.

Is there a way for the decoder to remember the previous setting so I don't have to do this?

Thanks in advance,

• RMweb Gold

Apologies if this is a simple error on my part but I have recently fitted a DCC Concepts ADS8fx to control the seep motors in my fiddle yard.

It is a solid piece of kit and very easy to wire and set addresses and can easily throw 3 or 4 N gauge points at a time!

However, I'm finding that it doesn't remember which way the points are set each time I turn off and back on and as a result, trains often short out the system when they travel over the points for the first time.

I can solve it by switching each point once after turning it on so it remembers the address and before running any trains but I already have 15+ points and there will be in excess of 30 when this part of layout is finished so that will be a lot of points to cycle through each time I turn on.

Is there a way for the decoder to remember the previous setting so I don't have to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Have you asked DCC Concepts? I believe they are quite user-friendly, and a member of their team is an RMwebber. 

Sadly not. I had the same issue with the ADS8fx so upgraded to the ADS8SX which is a much better bit of kit. It remembers points settings for polarity purposes and is easier to wire up as the LED connections are screw type rather than the solder pads underneath the decoder as per the ADS8fx.

I had an idea before returning it as faulty (due to a number of outputs failing) of working all the outputs at once to set the points to their normal routing as a way of correcting the loss of direction. It might be possible to arrange this at dcc power switch on - if you contact DCC Concepts they can advise on how you can work two or more outputs at once

• RMweb Gold

Which DCC system are you using? If it allows for routes you could set up a 'bogus' route that fires each point in turn and set this route when you first power up the system.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. It seems I need to upgrade for the next batch to the s8sx!

I have an NCE power pro 5 amp system so route setting would be an option. I’ve also emailed dcc concepts just to check there isn’t a way with the decoder. Will post back if there is.

Thanks again.

PS - does anyone know how to re-centre the operating arm of the cobalt digital point motors while I’m asking about DCC concepts stuff??

• RMweb Gold

To re-centre the arm on the point motor, you supposedly just set the address back to 199, but watch out, I had three fail after doing it.

Paul

On a solenoid, I don't think there is a center position.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks - will try that later and fingers crossed it doesn't fail!

I got the following response from DCC Concepts:

"Unfortunately, there is no memory in the ADS-*FX range. Depending upon the DCC system you are using, you may have a macro program that can do a "startup" reset. For example - the NCE Powercab.

The FX range has now been superceded by the SX range. They have a memory feature that will reset the point relays to the condition when they were powered down. Other features added to the SX are a protective cover, integral self-discharge circuit and screw terminals for the LEDs."

Which confirms what others have said. I will make a macro as suggested and will use the SX in the future I think!

Thanks again for all the replies. 

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. It seems I need to upgrade for the next batch to the s8sx!

I have an NCE power pro 5 amp system so route setting would be an option. I’ve also emailed dcc concepts just to check there isn’t a way with the decoder. Will post back if there is.

Thanks again.

PS - does anyone know how to re-centre the operating arm of the cobalt digital point motors while I’m asking about DCC concepts stuff??

To re-centre the arm on the point motor, you supposedly just set the address back to 199, but watch out, I had three fail after doing it.

Paul

Using 199 as a temporary address does work to centre it. Power off then on is required for it to work.

The you will need to give it the address of 198 to turn of the auto centre.

There is a simpler method.

Command it to move and then remove power half way...........

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Cobalt Digital motors are not solenoid ;)

From the original post:

'Apologies if this is a simple error on my part but I have recently fitted a DCC Concepts ADS8fx to control the seep motors in my fiddle yard.'

...and the ADS8fx is used only to control solenoids

Edited by Vistiaen

• RMweb Gold

I had 4 x ADS-8FX's and am in the process of replacing them with ADS-8SX's (when funds permit). At £75+ per ADS-8SX, thats a lot of saving up I need to do. I tested one I purchased, and the improvements are worth it.

I use the Roco z21 and tablet so I can still identify the route settings quickly but its very frustrating having to manually reset every point (I have 32 in total). I can set a route on the tablet so with one click it will cycle through every point, but thats 64 fires in order to get them back to the route they were originally. Hit the button, go have a brew, and by that time, it will be ready!!

The ADS-8SX is the way to go - or, just buy the digital cobalt motors to begin with. I went from Analogue to Digital and fitted all of my points with solonoids, and I didnt want to replace them all.

Edited by ianLMS

• RMweb Gold

If you look at the post you replied to you will see that the question was asked by the OP about Cobalt Digital IP motors, not Seep motors ;)

Sorry I see that there was a follow up post. But notin the original post

Edited by Vistiaen

I had 4 x ADS-8FX's and am in the process of replacing them with ADS-8SX's (when funds permit). At £75+ per ADS-8SX, thats a lot of saving up I need to do. I tested one I purchased, and the improvements are worth it.

I use the Roco z21 and tablet so I can still identify the route settings quickly but its very frustrating having to manually reset every point (I have 32 in total). I can set a route on the tablet so with one click it will cycle through every point, but thats 64 fires in order to get them back to the route they were originally. Hit the button, go have a brew, and by that time, it will be ready!!

The ADS-8SX is the way to go - or, just buy the digital cobalt motors to begin with. I went from Analogue to Digital and fitted all of my points with solonoids, and I didnt want to replace them all.

I did the same. Hattons are selling them for £68 and when you consider that a Hornby 4 port decoder is about £40, it makes the ADS8SX good value in my view.

Even with ADS8SXs there is one application where I still use Gaugemaster auto frogs. That is 3 way points (I have 3 sets so far) whereby if you are not super vigilant, the larger points blades can also move the smaller blades without changing the polarity via the ADS8SX. I use the ADS to change the polarity of the frog for the bigger blades and the auto frog for the smaller blades. Bit belt and braces really.

• RMweb Gold

I use a combination. I have some going through the auto-frogs, some going through the ADS-8FX/SX, and some using the Peco point motor mounted type. At some point I will probably convert to using just auto-frogs and the ADS-8SX.

I was just confused when the OP was concerning memory issues with the ADS-8FX and then auto-frogs were brought into the conversation. Two seperate issues unless you can tap into the auto-frog to illuminate LED's?

The OP said:

"However, I'm finding that it doesn't remember which way the points are set each time I turn off and back on and as a result, trains often short out the system when they travel over the points for the first time"

There was no mention of Mimic boards.

Using Auto Frogs would resolve his problem of shorting out where the ADS8fx had the polarity of the frog opposite to the switch of the blades and be cheaper than replacing the ADS8fx with an ADS8SX.

Edited by NickC

• RMweb Gold

The OP said:

"However, I'm finding that it doesn't remember which way the points are set each time I turn off and back on and as a result, trains often short out the system when they travel over the points for the first time"

There was no mention of Mimic boards.

Using Auto Frogs would resolve his problem of shorting out where the ADS8fx had the polarity of the frog opposite to the switch of the blades and be cheaper than replacing the ADS8fx with an ADS8SX.

This thread has wandered about a bit. I got a bit lost and refuted someone as answering a question that was not asked in the OP, but then realized that the answer was to a follow up question by the original poster on a  different point motor related subject. So one needs to be a bit careful in defining what or what is not relevant in posts here. :angel:

• Like 1