Best fluid to remove decals from Lima diesels

I suspect this has been asked before but I have not been able to find any threads that give me a short answer.

I am looking to add the excellent etches for BR arrows, nameplates and depot plaques from Shawplan to a Lima class 60.  But first I want to remove the original printed over sized decals.

What is the best fluid to use to dissolve the existing transfers without damaging the main livery paintwork.  I have previously used Humbrol Enamel thinners on Heljan locos.  I have seen that IPA can damage Lima paint.

Any help or advice gratefully received.

• 2 years later...

Afternoon all, 

Does anybody know if there’s a production date range that this does / doesn’t behave for?

I'm toying with de-branding 37611 to 37422 in recent state - believe the Lima model was produced sometime around 2000. The DRS logos are fairly prominent on the body side though, so I’m loathe to start and then realise that the sellotape method is not very effective!

Cheers!

2 hours ago, RPNaylor0301 said:

Just to update, the sellotape method doesn’t touch the decals on 37611. Looks like they may have been tampo printed. Does anybody have any recommendations for methods to remove without damaging the underlying blue paint?

Very tricky to do, as the main body colours are very thin, it's been suggested that ink rather than paint was used. T-Cut or Brasso will take the brandings off but it's very likely the main body colour will also come off with them. Sellotape worked, but only on some very early production models. A repaint or partial re-paint perhaps the best option.

HTH

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, RPNaylor0301 said:

Cheers! Think will get away with patch painting as most of these have decidedly ‘newer’ looking areas where the DRS vinyls have been removed. 

Does anybody have any recommendations for a rattle can match for DRS’ Oxford Blue?

Try Halfords they should be able to make up a spray can of Oxford Blue or something very close.  Oxford Blue is a British Standard colour - BS 381C 

Edited by tractor_37260
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, tractor_37260 said:

T-Cut or Brasso will take the brandings off but it's very likely the main body colour will also come off with them

Hi there,

Been there, seen it, done it, and regretted it ....... fortunately Halfords, at the time, had some cans that were close enough to suit.

Regards,

Alex.