MTH Trains with DCS decoders

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gang,

Has anyone had any DCC experience of these?

MTH use their own DCS system that will run on DCC, but apparently has limited access to CVs on "normal" DCC.

If I've read correctly, DCS fittted locos will run on DCC, but not the other way round (not that that is a concern of mine)

Will a DCS fitted loco work OK with a DCC autoreverser such as a PSX-AR?

Cheers,

MIck

Hi Mick,

I'd tread very carefully with these if I were you!

It was a bit of a sore point with some of us, a few years ago. Mikes Train House (MTH) tried to sue the NMRA (I think it was, a 'google' would soon correct if I'm wrong) over the use of certain aspects of the digital control system. Or, something to do with sound files, I cannot remember exactly*.

Seeing as the NMRA had adopted "their" system from Arnold/Lenz and has made it into a worldwide system that means (if it is NMRA compatible) any system can run any decoder, this left a very bad taste in folks memories. Anyway, MTH lost and went on to develop their own "in house" DCS system, separate from everyone else's system.

Apparently, some folk do run MTH locos quite happily on DCC systems but with some loss of functionality. If there is a model that you particularly like that is available nowhere else - maybe it might be worth a shot.

I would certainly only buy from a reputable shop and try and test it on a DCC system before committing to a purchase. Unless, of course, you would prefer to go all MTH and use their DCS system too? (Which is, I believe, their aim - that you are tied to their systems)

Cheers,

John.

*Personally, such practices are intensely disliked and I don't care to spend any more time on them.

I am not a US modelling expert, but I have a couple of their sound fitted GP38s, one CSX and one Maryland Midland,  which were the first US locos I bought, without realising what they were. They run quite happily on my Lenz DCC system without problems. There are a lot of gimmicks, like classification lights (at least that's what I think they're supposed to be) and radio communication sounds,but they run generally well. I'm not keen on the sounds and  would like to have them converted to Loksound, but I don't know if this is possible. I've no idea what sort of Decoder socket they have. Trevor

Edited by shedman
  • Thanks 1

What I should have mentioned above but forgot was that I have read somewhere that MTH decoders use a common negative on the lighting circuit, rather than the common positive blue wire we are accustomed to. This is what has put me off dabbling myself. This is why I'm not sure if it's possible to change the decoder. If anyone out there is willing to have a go for me, please let me know. I have 2 to do! Trevor

• RMweb Gold

It was a bit of a sore point with some of us, a few years ago. Mikes Train House (MTH) tried to sue the NMRA (I think it was, a 'google' would soon correct if I'm wrong) over the use of certain aspects of the digital control system. Or, something to do with sound files, I cannot remember exactly*.

Seeing as the NMRA had adopted "their" system from Arnold/Lenz and has made it into a worldwide system that means (if it is NMRA compatible) any system can run any decoder, this left a very bad taste in folks memories. Anyway, MTH lost and went on to develop their own "in house" DCS system, separate from everyone else's system.

*Personally, such practices are intensely disliked and I don't care to spend any more time on them.

We should also remember, though John, that MTH did some sterling work on behalf of the model community some years back over licensing costs for logos. One of the big railroads got it into their head that charging for use of their intellectual property on models was cool. Given the margins that models sell at, this was not good. MTH went into battle and won. The company concerned backed down and I think that they then asked just for notification or some such. MTH could have negotiated solely on behalf of their own interest, but chose to act for the entire model manufacturing community. Mike Wolf isn't all bad. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

MTH are one of those companies that polarise opinion and about which people tend to have robust views one way or the other. I wouldn't defend their behaviour with respect to DCC standards and they do seem to be a rather litigious company but some of their models are very nicely done.

• 11 months later...

I Have an MTH little Joe E71. The main chip has stoped working for some reasion. I am in the process of working out how to rewire. This is proving to be a nightmare . Due to the fact MTH do the own thing and do not answer emails about spares  .There DCS is a nightmare when trying to program a loco from a DCC system. If I had a choice of buying a model from another manufactor I would . Sadlly only MTH make the little Joe with sound .
There selling point to the US market is gimicks ,like stuped raido talk etc. A lot of modlers are quite correct in being put off buying MTH locos due to the DCS system. IF MTH came in to the fold and went DCC they would deffently increase sales. The models I have are well detailed and nice runners ,Just a shame about the eletroincs .
John

• Agree 1

Interesting discussion.  I had recently seen a SD70 Heritage Loco that caught my interest and speaking with Stewart at Model Junction he had said that the power requirements of the MTH locomotives can be much more than we are used to in the UK. This put me off said locomotive, but I was quite impressed with what I was seeing at the time when compared with Intermountain and Athearn Genesis. 

Interesting that they wish to go there own way as well with DCC.  Being new to West side of the Atlantic, it is all quite fascinating to read around.

Cheers