Minerva announce Manning Wardle K Class 0-6-0ST

Andy Y

The K class were built over an extended period (1864-1914 = 50 years!) so I guess there might have been the odd variation or two... Various bits like fluted safety valve covers etc are available from S&D Models.

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone interested in Manning Wardle classes, a new book has just been published:

https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Locomotive-Builders-of-Leeds-Hardback/p/14722

To A4 size, he first half deals with a detailed study of the development of the early designs emanating from the Railway Foundry, Leeds from 1830s to the 1850s (many early railway companies used the products of Leeds - think Jenny Lind 2-2-2s, David Joy).

The second half (94pages) looks at the products of Manning Wardle from 1858 - in particular the std gauge 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 saddle tank classes.

Very detailed G.A.s are included for all main classes, mainly to approx. 7.5mm / ft scale with a few 0-4-0s at 11.5mm / ft).  Most are side and half-plan elevation, with a few half-end section elevations.

Plenty of excellent photographs in here.

post-17823-0-97818900-1524840389_thumb.jpg

post-17823-0-38710300-1524840432_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

For anyone interested in Manning Wardle classes, a new book has just been published:

To A4 size, he first half deals with a detailed study of the development of the early designs emanating from the Railway Foundry, Leeds from 1830s to the 1850s (many early railway companies used the products of Leeds - think Jenny Lind 2-2-2s, David Joy).

The second half (94pages) looks at the products of Manning Wardle from 1858 - in particular the std gauge 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 saddle tank classes.

Very detailed G.A.s are included for all main classes, mainly to approx. 7.5mm / ft scale with a few 0-4-0s at 11.5mm / ft).  Most are side and half-plan elevation, with a few half-end section elevations.

attachicon.gifLBL1.jpg

attachicon.gifLBL2.jpg

Part 2 looks interesting but if I was really interested in The Railway Foundry Leeds designs up to 1850 I'd have bought Ron Redman's book on that when it presented itself. But Mark Smithers usually does a good job. Possibly this is a series which will include Hunslet, Hudswell Clarke, Fowler, Kitson and the niche builders as well?

attachicon.gifLBL1.jpg

attachicon.gifLBL2.jpg

I shall be ordering one. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I hope that I am not causing any manufacturing headaches for Chris!

I am very eagerly anticipating this model. I have always fancied the 0-6-0 Manning Wardles, but one look at a Slaters kit some years ago convinced me not to even bother trying. Etched Brass and I don't get a long at the best of times.

The Slater's version is actually not a bad kit, I haven't built their 0-6-0, but here's my F class 0-4-0 

post-5869-0-78459600-1526461195_thumb.jpg

Having said that I'll still be buying a Minerva K class to join Lady Jayne:-)

• Like 6

Tooling has started for the Minerva 0 Gauge RTR Manning Wardle K Class 0-6-0ST locomotive. Each model will be supplied with three different cabs designed to clip into the locomotive. The models will be supplied fitted with the full extended over-the-top weatherboard, with the large and small weatherboards supplied as loose items. The handrail around the chimney was an optional fitting and will be a loose part that can be attached by either drilling holes into the front or top of the saddle-tank. The model will also include an accessory pack of tools.

Details about how to order are on the Minerva website at: https://www.minervamodelrailways.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Manning-Order-Form.pdf

post-13142-0-48321400-1526472467_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Are the expected DCC/DCC Sound prices still GBP310/GBP380 as these don't appear on the order form. 

They are expected. We will confirm when he have  received and fitted the first engineering prototype.

Am I imagining it, or did the Cambrian have one of these? If they did I might end up ordering two as I quite fancy the idea of a Cambrian loco. 

You are not imagining things. The Cambrian Railways inherited one when it took over the Mawddwy Railway. There are a couple of photos on this web page: https://spellerweb.net/rhindex/UKRH/GreatWestern/Narrowgauge/Mawddwy.html

• Like 1

Heck, I need a small lottery win. So much temptation. I love the Victory class so much that I'd ideally want another of them too! 

The different cab options for this loco is a masterstroke, BTW. I am still rooting round for a photo of the GC version in later days, but I strongly suspect it just had a weatherboard, so the options planned are damned near ideal for me. 

• Like 1

I think nether are the one on offer 1 is correct cab wrong smoke box door and the other correct smoke box door wrong cab. 

Marc 

There are more cab variations on the MW K Class than one can shake a stick at. We are providing three, but the Minerva model will, for many we hope, provide a sound base for conversions just like we used to do with Airfix kits. I remember someone converting the old Triang-Hornby Midland 3F into a GWR Dean Goods using the tender and other parts donated from the Airfix "City of Truro" kit. 

• Like 2

There are more cab variations on the MW K Class than one can shake a stick at. We are providing three, but the Minerva model will, for many we hope, provide a sound base for conversions just like we used to do with Airfix kits. I remember someone converting the old Triang-Hornby Midland 3F into a GWR Dean Goods using the tender and other parts donated from the Airfix "City of Truro" kit. 

Its sort of what I was expecting to do. Changing the cab is not a great issue but the smoke box could be a bit more of a challenge.

Marc

• RMweb Premium

Heck, I need a small lottery win. So much temptation. I love the Victory class so much that I'd ideally want another of them too! 

The different cab options for this loco is a masterstroke, BTW. I am still rooting round for a photo of the GC version in later days, but I strongly suspect it just had a weatherboard, so the options planned are damned near ideal for me. 

The variations of MW Class K are many and varied. Part of the solution is in the wonderful SWA Newton Collection of Leicestershire Museums.

http://imageleicestershire.org.uk/view-item?i=11959&WINID=1526938046606

35 years ago I bought the remaindered booklet 'Contractors Locomotives GCR' [from 1974] for 50p, edited by none other than Neil Cossons, who became Director of the Science Museum.

It has a photo taken at Finmere and drawing of 'Corea', works no. 971, with full overall cab.

post-14654-0-63970800-1526938955_thumb.jpg

post-14654-0-65003500-1526938983_thumb.jpg

Finally there is a useful table of other Class K locos photographed in the collection.

post-14654-0-30537500-1526938992_thumb.jpg

Happy hunting!

• Like 1

How easy will it be to replace the smokebox door? Yes I know, some b*ggers are never satisfied...

The smokebox door is a separate part that sits in a recess in the front of the smokebox moulding. It will be held in place with adhesive that can be softened with a common solvent, details of which will be  available to customers on request. 

Its sort of what I was expecting to do. Changing the cab is not a great issue but the smoke box could be a bit more of a challenge.

Marc

See above Marc. The entire smokebox moulding can be detached if necessary. 

The variations of MW Class K are many and varied. Part of the solution is in the wonderful SWA Newton Collection of Leicestershire Museums.

http://imageleicestershire.org.uk/view-item?i=11959&WINID=1526938046606

35 years ago I bought the remaindered booklet 'Contractors Locomotives GCR' [from 1974] for 50p, edited by none other than Neil Cossons, who became Director of the Science Museum.

It has a photo taken at Finmere and drawing of 'Corea', works no. 971, with full overall cab.

attachicon.gif20180521_221619.jpg

attachicon.gif20180521_221637.jpg

Finally there is a useful table of other Class K locos photographed in the collection.

attachicon.gif20180521_221300.jpg

Happy hunting!

We have this excellent booklet too. 

• Like 1