Psssst. Wanna know what a class 29 might have sounded like?

I found this on youtube. Yes I know its a V16 and not a V12, but I would imagine it would be much closer to the sound of the V12 Ventura than the V6 in the class 14's. Given how rare these engines are now, this might be the only chance to hear one of the larger ones. I understand that a V12 still exists but might never run again. The video says Ventara but I think they mean Ventura. It certainly looks like one. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr-bF252824

Edited by Baby Deltic
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I can only assume that, rare or not, it was more common than the sound of a 21 working, as by all accounts they rarely did and when they did the sound was drowned out by the roaring of the flames...

Sounds rather like the prototype HST too.

Funny how something that never got to 1970 in BR operation next appears in it's top of the range Inter City train and it's newest (then) freight locomotive albeit a later model.

True, but the class 21/29 had other issues besides the engines. From the 'Modern Locomotives Illustrated' series, the generators were at their limits when coupled to the high-speed engines (which is where the class 22s with the same engines fared better, because the high-speed diesels suited the hydraulic transmissions much better).

I can only assume that, rare or not, it was more common than the sound of a 21 working, as by all accounts they rarely did and when they did the sound was drowned out by the roaring of the flames...

I thought the engine noise was more of a loud "BANG!!", followed by silence??... :mosking: :jester: