The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Talking rubbish! accidental mention of work item when retired

sigtech

Hello all,

Yesterday I was asked by my wife to put some clothes away in the bedroom cupboards. - I should mention at this point that I have been retired for nearly two years from  'Notwork fail',  Sick & Tired dept. N.R. (S&T), as a  'Team Leader / T.O. Faulting and Maintenance'  and as I was sorting methodically through the pile I came to my only pair of what can be called  'leisure/sport trousers',( these have no corresponding matched top, although they should have ).  It was at this point my mind must have gone 'bye bye', because I called out to my long suffering Spouse with a question, and during the conversation referred to them as my 'Track - Circuit bottoms...!

Has anyone else experienced this sort of 'brain fade.?

Regards

(SIGTECH)

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Yesterday I was asked by my wife to put some clothes away in the bedroom cupboards. - I should mention at this point that I have been retired for nearly two years from  'Notwork fail',  Sick & Tired dept. N.R. (S&T), as a  'Team Leader / T.O. Faulting and Maintenance'  and as I was sorting methodically through the pile I came to my only pair of what can be called  'leisure/sport trousers',( these have no corresponding matched top, although they should have ).  It was at this point my mind must have gone 'bye bye', because I called out to my long suffering Spouse with a question, and during the conversation referred to them as my 'Track - Circuit bottoms...!

Regards

(SIGTECH)

Steve.

Reminds me of the official looking notice stuck to the wall over the phone in a certain box: "Ensure brain is fully engaged before operating mouth".

The habits take a fair bit of killing.

It took me four years to stop waking up at 0445 in the weeks my unconscious brain had clearly worked-out that I would have been on early turn.

Regards

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Yes. When buying some Code 125 rails from Marcway at Telford Guildex a couple of years ago, I asked for "Code 125 flat bed rail".

Until last year I was an HGV driver; even so it'd been some years since I'd driven a flat bed lorry!!

The Marcway lady very politely asked me if I meant flat bottom rail.

D'oh!! :rolleyes: :blush:

• Like 4

It took me four years to stop waking up at 0445 in the weeks my unconscious brain had clearly worked that I would have been on early turn.

As someone who is still perhaps a decade from retirement, I look forward to having these sorts of problems. ;)

Assuming our brains are wired and rewired by repetition it's a sign of a healthy brain that these formerly well reinforced memories are still present.

When I was a bus driver I was driving home in my car and some people at the bus stop put out their hand to stop the bus behind me, unfortunately he was unable to get into the bus stop because I pulled into the bus stop first.

On another occasion I was dropping the other half off and pushed the imaginary button on the dash to open her door.

• Like 2

Far better than one's front seat passenger pumping the imaginary brakes and digging their fingernails into the dash.

I have done that, in a mate's car, as he took a bend rather faster than I would. I was taking into account a fully-loaded 45ft trailer.

D'oh!! again... :rolleyes: :fool:

There's a thread in 'Trade and Products > Retailer Commissions > Locomotion' titled 'NRM using APC'. Which when I first saw it immdiately prompted the question of just what the NRM would be using armour piercing capped ammunition for?...

I thought similar, except in my field it is Automatic Power Control...

• Like 2

Far better than one's front seat passenger pumping the imaginary brakes and digging their fingernails into the dash.

ISTR reading that many cars competing in things like the Mille Miglia and Targa Florio needed their passenger footwells reinforced because co-drivers tended to indulge in exactly this behaviour :D.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There is a topic on here with the title starting ‘NGS’. I eagerly clicked on it expecting something about The Narrow Gauge Society but was disappointed to discover it was The N Gauge Society. I still struggle to avoid clicking on it.

In Lancaster we have a short section of road which is buses only (its currently closed because if all the roadworks). After a few days driving buses in Lancaster I had used it many times. The next day I had to take the car into Lancaster and automatically drove through the buses only road and got stopped by the Police. Fortunatly I was wearing my bus drivers uniform and just got a smile and ‘don’t do it again’.

• Like 4

As someone who is still perhaps a decade from retirement, I look forward to having these sorts of problems. ;)

Assuming our brains are wired and rewired by repetition it's a sign of a healthy brain that these formerly well reinforced memories are still present.

I have been retired for over twelve years now and I still dream nearly every night that I am still out and about doing my old job.

I am very pleased that you state that things like this are a sign of a healthy brain. :sungum:

Keith.

• Like 1