The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Stephen Hawking has died aged 76

Dan Griffin

A truly iconic figure in the world of science and in explaining it to lesser mortals, like ourselves, in ways we could understand.

Our physical bodies are not boundaries to what we ca achieve. Truly inspirational on so many levels.

RIP Stephen

Just had this vision of Ken Dodd pushing Stephen Hawking in a wheelchair, queuing at the Pearly Gates, and Doddy making a

joke of it...

Sorry; not meant in bad taste

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

The nearest thinker to Einstein that we'll ever see.  A brilliant mind inside a badly damaged body.  Someone to admire for his fortitude over 40 years, and to thank for his contributions to our scientific knowledge.

RIP Prof Hawking - your kind is seldom seen.  and all too often not appreciated until gone.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I liked how one obituary I read put it: He is not gone, he is now infinite. I wonder whether he might even have approved of it!

Hawking has certainly had a remarkable life and career, which, as has been said already, has defied all medical predictions. Now it is up to us to continue his legacy, and do it well.

RIP, Professor Hawking.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I believe Stephen Hawking is now able to get some answers to his questions about the universe. Probably discussing the finer points with Albert Einstein and shareing jokes with Ken Dodd.

You gave an invaluable contribution to science. Thank you.

RIP Professor Stephen Hawking.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

A truly iconic figure in the world of science and in explaining it to lesser mortals, like ourselves, in ways we could understand.

Our physical bodies are not boundaries to what we ca achieve. Truly inspirational on so many levels.

RIP Stephen

Just had this vision of Ken Dodd pushing Stephen Hawking in a wheelchair, queuing at the Pearly Gates, and Doddy making a

joke of it...

Not bad taste at all, its well known that Stephen Hawking enjoyed a good joke. RIP to both of them.

• Like 1

RIP Stephen

joke of it...

Not bad taste at all, its well known that Stephen Hawking enjoyed a good joke. RIP to both of them.

Ken: "I know I always went on for longer than I should have, but even I didn't manage over fifty years longer!"

Edited by Titan
  • Like 5

I liked how one obituary I read put it: He is not gone, he is now infinite. I wonder whether he might even have approved of it!

Hawking has certainly had a remarkable life and career, which, as has been said already, has defied all medical predictions. Now it is up to us to continue his legacy, and do it well.

RIP, Professor Hawking.

As he has a part in Radio 4's current revival of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, I think he might still be around for a while yet.

• Like 3

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43398899

Quite a list, there - I didn't realise he'd been in several episodes of The Simpsons, and three episodes of Futurama. The one line I remember best from that show was when Fry is walking down a dark alleyway. Stephen Hawking says "There he is, get him!" and Fry's reply - "Who said that??" :D

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1

I believe Stephen Hawking is now able to get some answers to his questions about the universe. Probably discussing the finer points with Albert Einstein and shareing jokes with Ken Dodd.

You gave an invaluable contribution to science. Thank you.

RIP Professor Stephen Hawking.

He of course didn't believe in any sort of after-life but with his sense of humour I'm sure he'd appreciate the cosmic joke if he's now discovered he was wrong.

A quite remarkable and inspiring life. I can remember when black holes were the monstrous engines of destruction that would eventually consume the universe; Stephen Hawking made them far more interesting than that.

One thought of his in the Short History of Time that I've always found thought-provoking was that asking what came before the big bang was like asking what is north of the North Pole. As someone for whom communication had become increasingly difficult he was determined to share his insights as widely as possible.

We will miss him.

• Like 3