When did BR adopt 'door to door' branding with 1 white arrow

Hello, can anyone tell me when, and for what period BR adopted the 'door to door' branding, with a single large white arrow on its bauxite painted containers such as the type AF, A or BD.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards, (SIGTECH)

Steve.

I don’t know, but I suspect c1966/67/68, during the corporate image revolution.

More to the point, though, isn’t the logo a white arrow inside a black outer arrow, which together form the outline of a cuboid, referencing both direct movement and the box-like freight container?

Edited by Nearholmer

Yes sorry you are indeed correct, was typing in a hurry and missed the bit about the black arrow from the description so thanks for that - as I suspected though its outside my modelling period by several years. thanks for the clarification.

Regards,

(SIGTECH)

Steve.

It might take a bit of detective work to nail this down, I think, because road vehicles seem to have displayed a black and red version of the logo, without the ‘door-to-door’, wording possibly from somewhat earlier, although maybe the new logo was simply slapped on top of the old crimsom and cream livery.

The wording ‘door-to-door’ is even older, I think pre-BR, from a campaign run jointly by the Big Four, and certainly appeared in publicity material before it got co-opted to sit under or alongside the ‘box arrows’. Doesn’t is figure in the Z-shaped logo used on freight containers pre-WW2?

• RMweb Premium

isn’t the logo a white arrow inside a black outer arrow, which together form the outline of a cuboid, referencing both direct movement and the box-like freight container?

.... otherwise known as the flying crate !!

My recollection is that it came in with boxed-style numbering - whenever that was; (I lost interest in full-scale railways at that time).

• RMweb Premium

It might take a bit of detective work to nail this down, I think, because road vehicles seem to have displayed a black and red version of the logo, without the ‘door-to-door’, wording possibly from somewhat earlier, although maybe the new logo was simply slapped on top of the old crimsom and cream livery.

The wording ‘door-to-door’ is even older, I think pre-BR, from a campaign run jointly by the Big Four, and certainly appeared in publicity material before it got co-opted to sit under or alongside the ‘box arrows’. Doesn’t is figure in the Z-shaped logo used on freight containers pre-WW2?

Agreed. Looking at photos of LMS containers, they originally had "Container Service" on them. This was quickly changed to "Container" on one line & "Door to Door Service" below. I believe the Big Four promoted the service jointly.

The logo was of course a BR addition.

• RMweb Premium

In one of my Southern steam books, there is a pic of a Urie S15 4-6-0 hauling a mixed freight which includes at least one conflat with a “door to door” branded container. I think the pic is dated May/June ‘64, the loco depicted certainly didn’t have long to go.

• RMweb Gold

Modern Railways April 1963 carried an article Towards a BR House Style. This was a report on an exhibition at the Design Centre in London in February/March 1963. This article mentioned a "striking new Freight Arrow symbol" to be applied with new colours, and containers to carry the Door to Door wording

• Like 1