Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

De-branding a Toad

• RMweb Gold

Hi Folks, it's question and advice time!

I'd like to re-brand one of my Hornby Toads, and ask if you have any advice for getting the old branding off.

Naturally, any helps or tips will be gratefully received & acknowledged.

Cheers,

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Folks, it's question and advice time!

I'd like to re-brand one of my Hornby Toads, and ask if you have any advice for getting the old branding off.

Naturally, any helps or tips will be gratefully received & acknowledged.

Cheers,

Ian.

All of it, or just the RU branding?

If the latter, gentle rubbing with a fibreglass pencil* then retouch the black panel if necessary before applying your chosen location.

It works for renumbering Bachmann mineral wagons.......

John

* PS. A lot easier if you have one of the 2mm size.

Edited by Dunsignalling

Hi Ian,

Another less aggressive option than the finreglass pencil is the use of a specific decal and detail removing solution. I have a bottle of the stuff from Joe’s Model Trains (an American supplier) that I have had for years and has done lots of work. I’m not half way down the bottle! I got mine from Model Junction in Slough who deal in all sorts of Americana as well as a few UK bits too.

https://www.modeljunction.info/estore/

The procedure is to carefully put the gunge (I could have said viscous fluid but gunge is funnier!) on the thing you want to remove. Let it do it’s magic for a couple of minute and carefully wipe off with a cotton bud. Repeat as required...

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks folks, just the info I needed.

Next stop is an order for some transfers. Rogerstone is but a short trip down to Maesglas, which I'm told was one of the largest toad allocations on the Western.

having lived in Pontypridd, it would be rude not to also include Coke Ovens, just up the Rhondda in Hopkinstown.

Cheers folks,

Ian

Hi Ian,

You could always talk to Railtec Steve or John from Cambridge Custom Transfer - both of this parish - to see if they can produce the brandings for you if you can’t find them...

Just a thought!

All the best,

Castle

I've talked with Steve at Railtec about commissioning some toad transfers in 4mm but nothing has come of it yet.

I've had a few requests for these and had hoped to have got to it by now, but it's getting there. There will likely be a "pack" (if you can call it that) which will offer destinations of your choice, much in the same way that I have "destination blinds of your choice" or "complete loco pack with your choice of number". 4mm and 7mm will be first out of the blocks. Naturally the names could be anything that people desire, as I know that fictitious locations are equally as popular.

Edited by railtec-models
  • Like 2

I want to change the "Swindon" branding on Oxford Rail's GWR 6-wheel Toad.

HMRS Transfers offers a selection of names

https://hmrs.org.uk/transfers/gwr-goods-vehicle-insignia-150384.html

however "Birkenhead" isn't one of them so I'd have to cut individual letters from their sheet - not at all easy!

I've just created a series of packs in 4mm and 7mm giving options for ready-made destinations and destination of customer's choice. Hopefully these should cover most/all bases:

http://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?search_str=toad

4mm-4216: GWR Toad brake van allocation names

4216-1.jpg

The ready-made packs in 4mm and 7mm also contain the 5 pointed stars, indicating that the van has been upgraded to 25 tons. There was room on the sheet so in they went!

@gc4946 - not sure what scale you're modelling but BIRKENHEAD is on both 4mm and 7mm sheets.

7mm-9970: Toad brake van allocation name of your choice (suits both GWR and BR periods)

7mm_9970-1.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I've just created a series of packs in 4mm and 7mm giving options for ready-made destinations and destination of customer's choice. Hopefully these should cover most/all bases:

4216-1.jpg

The ready-made packs in 4mm and 7mm also contain the 5 pointed stars, indicating that the van has been upgraded to 25 tons. There was room on the sheet so in they went!

@gc4946 - not sure what scale you're modelling but BIRKENHEAD is on both 4mm and 7mm sheets.

7mm-9970: Toad brake van allocation name of your choice (suits both GWR and BR periods)

7mm_9970-1.jpg

I'm modelling in 4mm scale, so thanks for the details - will place order soon.

• RMweb Gold

4216-1.jpg

7mm_9970-1.jpg

Great news Steve.