The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Best and Worst Western Movies.

allan downes

• RMweb Premium

I've agreed, Allan,

But, upon closer inspection - same year - same style of Hat, but a different colour!  Grey in Tombstone, more downbeat Brown in Desperate Trail, perhaps? (Well it is on the cover of the DVD).

Oh dear, I fear I may be in Andy's territory of outfits, Ponchos and Buckskins.  Mind you wasn't that a line from one of the songs in a film, "I like you in Buckskins" diddley, diddley?

Nobody's mentioned 'Oklahoma' (1955) yet!  Or 'The Oklahoma Kid' with James Cagney (1939).  I wonder why not? 

I've agreed, Allan,

But, upon closer inspection - same year - same style of Hat, but a different colour!  Grey in Tombstone, more downbeat Brown in Desperate Trail, perhaps? (Well it is on the cover of the DVD).

Oh dear, I fear I may be in Andy's territory of outfits, Ponchos and Buckskins.  Mind you wasn't that a line from one of the songs in the film, "I like you in Buckskins" diddley, diddley?

Nobody's mentioned 'Oklahoma' (1955) yet!  Or 'The Oklahoma Kid' with James Cagney (1939).  I wonder why not? 

Hi OG,

That would have been the song "Buttons and Bows" from the film "The Paleface" with Bob Hope and Jayne Russel a rendition of which I gave on stage at our boarding school that was met with stunned and shocked silence !

The follow up was "Son of Paleface" but this time I gave the school end of term concert a wide berth !

Buttons and Bows

East is east and west is west

And the wrong one I have chose

Let's go where they keep on wearin'

Those frills and flowers and buttons and bows

Rings and things and buttons and bows.

Don't bury me in this prairie

Take me where the cement grows

Let's move down to some big town

Where they love a gal by the cut o' her clothes

And you'll stand out, in buttons and bows.

I'll love you in buckskin

Or skirts that you've homespun

But I'll love ya' longer, stronger

Where yer friends don't tote a gun

My bones denounce the buckboard bounce

And the cactus hurts my toes

Let's vamoose where gals keep a-usin'

Those silks… 

I seem to recall a 'modern western', in B & W, in which Kirk Douglas played an escaping minor con. who takes a horse up a hill; the sheriff, IIRC, was George Kennedy. Just can't remember the title.

• RMweb Premium

I have just remembered that the lee van clef character dies in the good the bad and the ugly so if that was a prequel to the two other movies it can't be the same charactot

He was a very nasty piece of work in TGTB&TU and a decent guy in For A Few Dollars More, definitely not the same character even without the timeline clues.

I seem to recall a 'modern western', in B & W, in which Kirk Douglas played an escaping minor con. who takes a horse up a hill; the sheriff, IIRC, was George Kennedy. Just can't remember the title.

Lonely Are The Brave . . . . .The sheriff  was played by Walter Mattau

It makes regular appearances on the higher digital channels

Edited by Two_sugars

A year or so back I had a spell of reading some Mountain Man novels. Sydney Pollack's film with Robert Redford in the title role of Jeremiah Johnson is based on western fact/legend with a more rece nt one called The Revenant.  Two others based on excellent novels are The Homesman and The Missing, both of which I enjoyed watching. Broken Trail with Robert Duvall and Thomas Haden-Jones brings an interesting angle on the west regarding the slave-like abuse of chinese workers in the west. Finally though it is an epic series I found Gettysburg riveting as was the book.

This was a great Western you don't hear much of today.

91opQoCA8mL._AC_UL320_SR224,320_.jpg

And come to that, not much of this one either

91TSfiN1lhL._SY445_.jpg

And this  was pretty good too and, I do believe, there was a sequel.

514JSCY00GL._AC_UL320_SR224,320_.jpg

Oh dear. That was the sequel !

Edited by allan downes

The sixties and seventies produced some lousy films mainly because of the break up of the studio system.  That time was also the end of the classic Western with familiar stars who were beginning to age to be replaced with younger actors, many of whom hadn't achieved star status.  But to its credit, the industry tried very hard with films such as "Bridge on the River Kwai", "Dr Zhivago" and others.   Also TV audiences were turning to cable who in turn were running more and more movie channels and over time increasing quality and content.  At a younger age, I was able to see top class entertaining movies every week, some were duds but then you didn't care.  Now we don't go to the cinema much any more because of movie content including excessive swearing, gratuitous sex or other offensive scenes.

Is it me or is the sound louder these days?  At least we can turn it down at home!

Brian.

Trying to think of the old film in which the baddie held up a stage then rode off. The hero then took over the stage and its six horses and chased him down. Well, everyone knows that six horses obviously run six times faster than one horse. At least in Hollywood.

Another vote for Clint Eastwood and the various westerns that he made. Seen a few John Wayne films but Clint has it. Wayne was too clean-cut for my liking, I guess Clint was an early example of the anti-hero.

So many memorable lines from them: the number of times I've said (or thought) "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk." when watching other films and programmes...

The beginning of High Plains Drifter, which is only around 90 minutes long, has no dialogue until around the 7th or 8th minute. It is all nods, glances, and grimaces.

In other areas, can remember watching the original Django, with the man dragging the coffin behind him, but {gasp} I don't think I've ever seen "Once Upon a Time in the West".

One recent TV series that I liked and had a Western feel to it at times was Justified, with Timothy Olyphant as a US Marshal with some good lines e.g. "You draw on me, I'll put you down".

Sounds like Lonely are the Brave.

Trying to think of the old film in which the baddie held up a stage then rode off. The hero then took over the stage and its six horses and chased him down. Well, everyone knows that six horses obviously run six times faster than one horse. At least in Hollywood.

If John Wayne didn't, then nobody did !

• RMweb Premium

OMG. But an absolute must !

maxresdefault.jpg

Old Gringo's layout is called Once Upon a Time in The West and although it is 'geographically similar' to the film it is not a western themed layout.

I did however mae a few characters to wait on the station

post-8894-0-95970200-1520666012.jpgpost-8894-0-51263100-1520666013.jpg

Andy

• Like 7

"Dual At Diablo" wasn't a bad Western either with James Garner and Sydney Poitier as a really impressive black gunfighter. 

Better still was the cinema advertising poster which the manager of a cinema in Romford gave me a spare copy of.

Garner of course is  Garner in every film he makes but who would believe that his Father, Rocky in the Rockford Files, was actually  Noah Beery junior was the leader in the Dalton Gang Saturday morning Westerns when I was a kid ! - real rubbish mind you but not to us kids back in 1945.

1118full-the-daltons-ride-again-photo.jp

But there has been worse since - a lot worse.

Paul Hogan as "Lightning Jack" A terrible farce, especially after his success as "Crocodile Dundee"

MV5BMTM3MzU1MDMzNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzU2

Is that the one where old dimple chin goes on and on about barbed wire?

Andy

I think it was, Andy. He was kind of portraying the last of the open range cowboys - a kinda loner.

Nobody hear seems to have mentioned "Chato's Land " with Charles Bronson as a lone pursued Apache bumping each member of the posse off as and when he chooses.

A truly magnificent film where the Indians win for a change !

charles-bronson-chatos-land-1972-BP8G89.

Nothing to do with this of course, but why do Radio DJ's always screw up a good song before the end as they can't wait to get their banal and corny interruptions in as they have just done with my favourite song, Scot McKenzie's "San Francisco " with utter crap like -

"And that was "San fran " or something like that  - I think - So, a BIG, BIG hello to Sharon from Southend who's just bought her hundredth pair of white shoes, bottle of bleach and just turned 60 today !"     

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 2

Most of my favourite westerns follow a common theme: a stranger turns up into a situation which is unbearably unjust and lawless, where decent folk are being abused by the corrupt and powerful, and systematically sets about dealing out brutal justice. I guess that in real life we know that the bad guys not only get away with it, but often they are the ones in charge, and we can usually do nothing about it, so we delight in watching an idealised 'what if' situation. It would be like if I turned up at work as Sabata, one morning and CENSORED - RMWeb Automatic PostMarshal Software has removed the following in the interest of calmness and decency!