The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

New South Wales. Railway attractions and any good model shops.

JZ

• RMweb Premium

Taken advantage of a rest day and the fact that I can't be arsed to go out, to book this years main holiday. Three weeks in New South Wales. Landing in Sydney on the 29th September and leaving on the 20th October. camper van booked for 16 days. So a few days sightseeing in Sydney for the first days, then a leisurely drive up to Bathurst for the 1000Kms on the first weekend of October. Apart from that, I have only a vague idea of my itinerary, other than I want to visit Canberra. So, can anyone recommend railway related attractions and point me in the direction of a good railway model shop. I decided during last years trip to Norway that I would get one item of rolling stock from countries I visit. Also any must see attractions. Bathurst, for those who don't know, is close by the Blue Mountains, so I'll be there for a day or so before the race.

Just  south of Sydney, a slight detour via the Picton exit on the main road to Canberra is the NSW rail museum which has a pretty comrehensive collection:

https://www.nswrailmuseum.com.au/

You'd go through the Blue Mountains to get to Bathurst, so you could stop off at the "worlds steepest pasenger train":

https://www.scenicworld.com.au/experience/scenic-railway/

Not sure about decent model shops, theres Hobbyco in the Sydney CBD which is pretty expensive and heavy on the toy side of things. Theres a couple of places like Bergs hobbies in Parramatta and Casula hobbies in  Liverpool which cater more for modellers  and concentrate on Australian outline stuff , but some of these shops are surprisingly small and cluttered.

Again in the  Blue Mountains at Blackheath  there is 'Trains Planes and Automobiles" which is more of a collectibles kind of shop but does have some interesting stuff to browse around, though their opening times are a bit variable:

http://www.antiquetoys.com.au/

Depending on how jet-lagged you are you could maybe make it to Liverpool after landing for our major model rail exhibition:

https://10times.com/sydney-model-railway-exhibition

Edited by monkeysarefun

• RMweb Gold

I can thoroughly recommend the Liverpool exhibition - I happened across it when I was working in Sydney back in 2004 and it was a well organised an interesting show.  Unless it has changed it might well be the place to do a spot of shopping for Aus outline models because that's where I bought mine ;)

• RMweb Premium

I can thoroughly recommend the Liverpool exhibition - I happened across it when I was working in Sydney back in 2004 and it was a well organised an interesting show.  Unless it has changed it might well be the place to do a spot of shopping for Aus outline models because that's where I bought mine ;)

I'll be arriving on the first day of this years show, so may get there on Sunday or Monday.

Just  south of Sydney, a slight detour via the Picton exit on the main road to Canberra is the NSW rail museum which has a pretty comrehensive collection:

You'd go through the Blue Mountains to get to Bathurst, so you could stop off at the "worlds steepest pasenger train":

Not sure about decent model shops, theres Hobbyco in the Sydney CBD which is pretty expensive and heavy on the toy side of things. Theres a couple of places like Bergs hobbies in Parramatta and Casula hobbies in  Liverpool which cater more for modellers  and concentrate on Australian outline stuff , but some of these shops are surprisingly small and cluttered.

Again in the  Blue Mountains at Blackheath  there is 'Trains Planes and Automobiles" which is more of a collectibles kind of shop but does have some interesting stuff to browse around, though their opening times are a bit variable:

http://www.antiquetoys.com.au/

Depending on how jet-lagged you are you could maybe make it to Liverpool after landing for our major model rail exhibition:

https://10times.com/sydney-model-railway-exhibition

Made a note of all these things and certainly hope to get to the exhibition. Even at 62, I still get excited by travelling and seem to get by with the minimum of sleep on the way to places. Coming back? Well, that's a very different story. At least I'm coming back to a week of rest-days.

• RMweb Premium

Just looked on the map and should be able to train it from Sydney to Liverpool. :sungum:  Wonder if I can use my Privcard.

• Like 1

Just looked on the map and should be able to train it from Sydney to Liverpool. :sungum:  Wonder if I can use my Privcard.

It is  a  1.1km walk down Memorial Ave from the station to the venue. According to Google, that takes 14 minutes, or you can take a bus, but that apparently requres a 600m walk to the bus stop, and a further 260m walk from the destination bus stop to the venue  and all up takes 13 minutes  - and a bus fare..

Also the Powerhouse museum in downtown Sydney has some interesting exhibits, including the first locomotive to run in Australia and lots of machines that go ping and  so on.

Edited by monkeysarefun

• RMweb Premium

Also the Powerhouse museum in downtown Sydney has some interesting exhibits, including the first locomotive to run in Australia and lots of machines that go ping and  so on.

About 20 minutes from my hotel.

There's also Woodpecker Model Railways at Pendle Hill (right next to the railway station), where Alan and Marilyn Lee and son Steve will usually offer a warm welcome to visitors.

The Blue Mountains area is extremely scenic and well worth a few pauses and detours along the way.

• RMweb Gold

Regrettably not.  But it might be worthwhile checking out the various Sydney travel cards depending on what you are planning to do as they are valid on trains, 'buses and ferries and cover different areas denoted by colour (well that was how it used to be).  There was a 'vintage' shuttle 'bus from Liverpool station to the show when I went - the ride is an interesting introduction to Sydney suburbia as is the train ride out from the centre.  Here's the 'bus waiting to do a retiurn trip from the Gough Whitlam Leisure Centre

post-6859-0-66744100-1520504256_thumb.jpg

And here's the station - what else could some of these fellahs be n but returnees from a model railway show?

post-6859-0-90531400-1520504405_thumb.jpg

The Sydney tramway museum is also a nice place to visit, completely with 'vintage' tram rides.  And if you go up to Katoomba you can take a nice circular 'bus tour (or you could and hopefully still can) which stops at some excellent viewpoints for the Blue Mountains and also - if it's still there(?) at the Toy & Railway Museum at Leuralla.  If you fancy another scenic train ride the trip from Sydney to Newcastle is quite interesting with a spectacular crossing of the Hawkesbury River.

From a non- railway viewpoint I would seriously recommend a ferry trip across Port Jackson (Sydney Harbour), the best commuter route in the world - the best views are probably on the Mosman or Manly routes although the route to the Zoo is almost as good and watching the working (of the ferries) at Circular Quay can be fascinating - rather like train turnrounds at a busy London station although the adjacent area is a bit of a tourist trap.  And you need to have your wits about you is using the train to/from stations on the City Circle as they work on 18 second dwell times except at Town Hall where they increased some of the dwells to 36 seconds to improve reliability during the peak when I was out there.  The trains are pretty good by I do not recommend the top deck on Tangara units on a hot day - if there are still any in traffic(?)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

From a non- railway viewpoint I would seriously recommend a ferry trip across Port Jackson (Sydney Harbour), the best commuter route in the world - the best views are probably on the Mosman or Manly routes although the route to the Zoo is almost as good and watching the working (of the ferries) at Circular Quay can be fascinating - 

Couple of Aussies at work have recommended the Manly Ferry.

• Like 2

Couple of Aussies at work have recommended the Manly Ferry

When I worked in the city in the 80's and '90's a Manly Ferry trip  was a must-do lunchtime activity when winter east coast low weather systems hit:

• Like 3

Regrettably not.  But it might be worthwhile checking out the various Sydney travel cards depending on what you are planning to do as they are valid on trains, 'buses and ferries and cover different areas denoted by colour (well that was how it used to be). 

Now all travelpasses have been replaced with an 'opal card'.

Which you can't buy at most  train stations or from buses..

• RMweb Premium

Now all travelpasses have been replaced with an 'opal card'.

Which you can't buy at most  train stations or from buses..

So where do you buy them?

Anyway, my race ticket was on my doormat when I got home.

post-15-0-63301000-1521140982_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Opal cards are available from a large number of newsagents and other outlets

https://www.opal.com.au/en/get-an-opal-card/find-an-opal-card-retailer/

The cards are free but you must load them with $10Aus for travel. They are a doddle to use. We went to Tarronga Zoo recently.  A bus, two trains and a ferry each way ..no problem! Tap on tap off.

Baz

• Like 1

Opal cards are available from a large number of newsagents and other outlets

https://www.opal.com.au/en/get-an-opal-card/find-an-opal-card-retailer/

The cards are free but you must load them with $10Aus for travel. They are a doddle to use. We went to Tarronga Zoo recently.  A bus, two trains and a ferry each way ..no problem! Tap on tap off.

Baz

As a very rare user of public transport I always lose the previo\usly bought Opal card in the months between.

I always discover this after I've  run to the station with minutes to spare before the train that only runs every hour to find that I have to trudge back into town to the local newsagent to buy a ticket...

Edited by monkeysarefun

So where do you buy them?

Anyway, my race ticket was on my doormat when I got home.

attachicon.gifB1000.jpg

Be aware of the very restrictive alcohol limits in place:

adult race-goers will be limited to bringing one case (24 cans) of full-strength beer or one block (36 cans) of light or mid-strength beer each day.

Restrictions also apply to one case (24 cans) of pre-mixed drinks a day or one cask of wine up to four litres

post-22541-0-42855100-1521155251_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Regrettably not.  But it might be worthwhile checking out the various Sydney travel cards depending on what you are planning to do as they are valid on trains, 'buses and ferries and cover different areas denoted by colour (well that was how it used to be).  There was a 'vintage' shuttle 'bus from Liverpool station to the show when I went - the ride is an interesting introduction to Sydney suburbia as is the train ride out from the centre.  Here's the 'bus waiting to do a retiurn trip from the Gough Whitlam Leisure Centre

attachicon.gif051_DS~1.jpg

And here's the station - what else could some of these fellahs be n but returnees from a model railway show?

attachicon.gif055_DS~1.jpg

The Sydney tramway museum is also a nice place to visit, completely with 'vintage' tram rides.  And if you go up to Katoomba you can take a nice circular 'bus tour (or you could and hopefully still can) which stops at some excellent viewpoints for the Blue Mountains and also - if it's still there(?) at the Toy & Railway Museum at Leuralla.  If you fancy another scenic train ride the trip from Sydney to Newcastle is quite interesting with a spectacular crossing of the Hawkesbury River.

From a non- railway viewpoint I would seriously recommend a ferry trip across Port Jackson (Sydney Harbour), the best commuter route in the world - the best views are probably on the Mosman or Manly routes although the route to the Zoo is almost as good and watching the working (of the ferries) at Circular Quay can be fascinating - rather like train turnrounds at a busy London station although the adjacent area is a bit of a tourist trap.  And you need to have your wits about you is using the train to/from stations on the City Circle as they work on 18 second dwell times except at Town Hall where they increased some of the dwells to 36 seconds to improve reliability during the peak when I was out there.  The trains are pretty good by I do not recommend the top deck on Tangara units on a hot day - if there are still any in traffic(?)

I'd strongly recommend the tramway museum. Access from Loftus station on the Illawarra line. And I'd second a ferry trip. I believe there are now river ferries too up to Parramatta , though I don't know whether the scenery is worth it. As far as other lines are concerned, I'm probably biased as a former North Shore line commuter, but Central -North Sydney - continue as far as Chatswood strikes me as worth it, and a round trip could be made by continuing to Hornsby and coming back down the Main Northern to Central

For longer trips your only real options are across the Blue Mountains by train, or up the Main Northern to the Central Coast and possibly on to Newcastle. Both would be out and back

I believe there's some kind of rail museum at Valley Heights in the Blue Mountains?

(It's a bit scary when the "vintage bus" is the vehicle you used to see every day on the streets in what was the up to date livery....)

• RMweb Premium

Be aware of the very restrictive alcohol limits in place:

adult race-goers will be limited to bringing one case (24 cans) of full-strength beer or one block (36 cans) of light or mid-strength beer each day.

Restrictions also apply to one case (24 cans) of pre-mixed drinks a day or one cask of wine up to four litres

attachicon.gifbathurst.jpg

Ha,ha. I've heard of these.

• RMweb Gold

I'd strongly recommend the tramway museum. Access from Loftus station on the Illawarra line. And I'd second a ferry trip. I believe there are now river ferries too up to Parramatta , though I don't know whether the scenery is worth it. As far as other lines are concerned, I'm probably biased as a former North Shore line commuter, but Central -North Sydney - continue as far as Chatswood strikes me as worth it, and a round trip could be made by continuing to Hornsby and coming back down the Main Northern to Central

For longer trips your only real options are across the Blue Mountains by train, or up the Main Northern to the Central Coast and possibly on to Newcastle. Both would be out and back

I believe there's some kind of rail museum at Valley Heights in the Blue Mountains?

(It's a bit scary when the "vintage bus" is the vehicle you used to see every day on the streets in what was the up to date livery....)

I didn't really rate the river trip up to Paramatta - the first bit through the upper part of Sydney Harbour is very interesting but as you get up river it became pretty boring and nothing special apart from being a boat trip.  It's nothing like as good as the longer routes across Port Jackson ( I commuted on the ferry from Mosman to Circular Quay everyday) but I suppose that depends to some extent on what interests you, and I happen to like ships.

The railway museum at Valley Heights is visible from the line up into the Blue Mountains - what I could see of it from a passing train didn't encourage me to visit (but we are talking over 10 years ago and it will no doubt have come on a lot since then).   The rail route into the Blue Mountains is excellent although I can't recommend finishing up in Lithgow on a Saturday afternoon but Katoomba is quite nice plus it has various 'bus routes to viewpoints etc.  I had a 'Town like Alice' moment in Katoomba in a café when a local asked me whereabouts in England I came from so I answered Reading and was asked if it was near Guildford, when I told him it was about 30 miles he proceeded to ask me if I knew so & so 'who lives in Guildford' 

• Like 3

I didn't really rate the river trip up to Paramatta - the first bit through the upper part of Sydney Harbour is very interesting but as you get up river it became pretty boring and nothing special apart from being a boat trip.  It's nothing like as good as the longer routes across Port Jackson ( I commuted on the ferry from Mosman to Circular Quay everyday) but I suppose that depends to some extent on what interests you, and I happen to like ships.

Its got even worse in the last few years, row upon row of endless faceless apartment blocks crowd down to the river shore, a product of our enlightened leaders and Chinese property developers  trying to convince us that cramming an extra 3 million people into Sydney over the next couple of years will make the place better.

https://www.domain.com.au/news/8000-apartments-to-be-built-along-parramatta-river-corridor-20151119-gl07u6/

Edited by monkeysarefun