The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Snow with you?

Phil Bullock

Oh No! Not agin,

We have to go to a family funeral across in Morecambe tomorrow aft. - and afterwards at the sparkling Art Deco Midland Hotel on the front . 

Was hoping to traverse my favourite Hexham-Alston-Penrith road over Hartside in the late morning.

It was a bright sunny day today!.

dh

• RMweb Gold

L4RRY wasn't available (or too expensive)?

I seem to recall the single digit plates were very expensive even by the turn of the Century.

I sort of gave up splashing out on a CX-related plate when I saw how much was being asked for them.

COL1N was also too expensive!

As the old joke goes, I've changed my name by deed poll to...[insert current car registration number].

C6T.

Think it may be difficult to get my hands on 1CES. The Mr Whippy Mafia have gone to war over less.

I once bought a car bearing the plate KEV8N. This was the late 70s, when plate transfer was less easy, the market was less-developed, and the car was a Lancia Beta saloon, which rusted away as you watched - an MOT failure at 5 years old. I accepted the generous px offer from a Lancia dealer in exchange for a newer one (which also rusted, but slightly more slowly). As for changing your name, when my father died we went to register his death, and found a birth certificate for a different name, which he had legally changed in 1938. No way of finding out why.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The Beast from the East is back - 2- 3" in Churchdown this morning

post-7138-0-30030900-1521373349_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-22257300-1521373377_thumb.jpg

Mr Blackbird was scoffing peanuts like no tomorrow - never seen one do that before!

Phil

• Like 4

at least an inch here and up to 6 inch in the drifts in some places

its interesting to me looking at how the snow is affected by the wind

drifts across the pavement either side of this box but blocked the bit of pavement next to it and the snow has been cut away by the wind to the left of the box.

40168397974_5e44b849af_k.jpg18-3-2018 snow (3) by Sam, on Flickr

a snow cliff across the top of an embankment

39982717855_629dffbf66_k.jpg18-3-2018 snow (6) sandal castle by Sam, on Flickr

a ridge running parallel to a wall

39982706005_bbfd328f16_k.jpg18-3-2018 snow (2) by Sam, on Flickr

the snow here has been strong enough to stick to vertical surfaces like road signs and put lines up poles

40835053422_1904afa9b1_k.jpg18-3-2018 snow (1) by Sam, on Flickr

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 10