The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Snow with you?

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

My office has moved and I now have a longer commute.

Had to abandon one route Friday due to drifts.

But the new location the other road users are so much ruder than they are a few miles south.

Because I had to cheek to use a Land Rover in the snow the hate shown to me was immense, NEVER had this before.

Local Roads for Local People

I Jest Not.

Some years ago I lived in a village near Royston Vasey. It had been in Cheshire but elected to become part of High Peak rather than Greater Manchester. A man from the other side of the river who was allocated a Council house in the village was known as 'The Illegal Immigrant'. For my own part, I may have well been from another galaxy for what most of them knew of life on the outside. 

During the recent snow there were lots of comments on Facebook about foreign lorry drivers moving the closed signs and trying to go over Woodhead.  On villager asked if by foreign they meant someone not born in the village.

....During the recent snow there were lots of comments on Facebook about foreign lorry drivers moving the closed signs and trying to go over Woodhead.  On villager asked if by foreign they meant someone not born in the village.

What's all this shouting? We'll have no trouble here!

Did have a bit of snow (never get much as live right on South Coast) but long gone, unfortunately had flood inside as well as a cold water pipe decided to part company. Lots of wet carpets. Some reason now have no hot water?

Michael

Is there a water pressure gauge on the front of your boiler? If the pressure is too low, the boiler won't work.

• RMweb Gold

That reminded me of this story I read this morning, some bloke tried to remove a fallen branch dangling down from a live power line, lucky guy.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/luckiest-man-alive-cheats-death-14365157

Be warned, when I clicked on that link, after a few seconds of loading the Manchester Evening News site, it switched to one of those 'nasty red' screens, where my anti-virus software warns me that someone is trying something on! I did an immediate shut-down and re-start.

• RMweb Gold

Be warned, when I clicked on that link, after a few seconds of loading the Manchester Evening News site, it switched to one of those 'nasty red' screens, where my anti-virus software warns me that someone is trying something on! I did an immediate shut-down and re-start.

My anti-virus permits the articles from the MEN but usually puts up a message saying that some of the page content has been blocked, do I want it to be shown.

Is there a water pressure gauge on the front of your boiler? If the pressure is too low, the boiler won't work.

my boiler is ancient with no such dials and is waiting to be renewed, its been dragging for a couple of months mainly due to discovering it has asbestos beneath it which requires renewing 

attachicon.gif28684973_10213622310886036_5016541749185128692_n.jpg

The scene at Southampton (Central) this time last night, i.e. 03.00hrs. 02/03/2018. The ex- 21.39 W'loo-Weym'th, still with passengers on board, luckily (?) with lighting and heating.

Trains backed-up and held at Brockenhurst, Southampton and maybe other stations after the 17.05 W'loo-Weym'th hit the ice covered juice rail on the embankment east of Christchurch. Passengers on this train had to endure an overnight stay without lights or heating until being rescued in the daylight by a 'purloined' Cl. 220 'Voyager'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-43253130

P.S.

S'funny how the MSM still refer to 'South West Trains'.

Update :-

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/16065355.pat-on-the-back-for-helpful-train-guard-after-overnight-ordeal/?ref=mrb&lp=3

Its back this morning in Eaglesham, yesterday was a steady thaw with most of the lying snow that was not heaped in drifts melting, it started raining about 9pm last night but it was snowing steadily this morning and everything was white again.  Only at high lever as I drove into Glasgow it was still white stuff coming down but not lying.

Jim

Guest CLARENCE

A couple of days ago, the garden was under a couple of feet of snow, now it's water! Heavy rain overnight and still heavy led to a flooded garden.

post-283-0-70127600-1520332715_thumb.jpg

post-283-0-02260900-1520332775_thumb.jpg

post-283-0-98551200-1520332832_thumb.jpg

The dogs hate this, worse than snow! They don't like it wet!

Cheers, David

Edited by CLARENCE

Yep, spent the night looking after Ma in law when Pa in law was whipped into Hospital at 3am, Fiona went with him. Snow started and was 2'' deep when we left.

Might go for a lie down now, F in L okay.

Yawn,

Dave Franks.

p.s. thank goodness for winter tyres.

More or less all gone now in central Suffolk, deceptively mild also.

I did think Abellio managed the situation rather well all things considered last week, though true to form Friday morning's train was caped, the day after season ticket renewal.

Normal service is resumed then...

C6T.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting vid showing 3rd world rail problems.

Brit15

At the beginning of 1971 I was lodging by the bridge where the Met crosses the WCML and DC Lines by South Kenton. When it was icy it was like being in the middle of a tropical thunderstorm

• RMweb Gold

Not too much snow on today's bike ride as we restricted the height and avoided some places where we know that snow lingers by the walls. Detours in several places where damage to paths because of the bad weather is being repaired. There was one place on the canal near Disley where the towpath was difficult because of a drift and there was in iceberg on the water. 

Most frightening was the size of the fallen tree we found across the path we use from school with the grandchildren. It must have come down in the gales at the weekend and had fallen on the bridge over the railway just Romiley side of Marple station and obviously a lot had ended up on the track. It's a stone bridge the trunk had hit the parapet right on top of the abutment. It has what look like millstone grit cappings about 9" thick and one had split right through. It's a good job no-one was around when it came down.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• RMweb Gold

Yep, back in this part of West Yorkshire this morning too.  Hopefully should be short-lived.

post-414-0-47744100-1520502043.jpg

• Like 3