Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MikeOxon said:

Looking at my own models, I prefer a darker appearance for frames, especially under sky light. Of course, if I spot-lit these, they would look brighter but, to my eyes, less natural.

1157668197_StellaQueen_N-Leigh.jpg.7b6ff9326ae17e249b8fd9aadace3afa.jpg

Mike

Nice to see some of your models again Mike.  I am going to have another look at the colour of the frames.  I was going to do some further work this morning only I ran out of spoons and had to sleep instead.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

All this difficulty over what exactly GWR Indian Red is or was almost persuaded me to make a change to a different railway company.  I started to do some further work on 'Prince Christian' this morning, but ended up crashing out asleep instead.  Armed with all the information we've been able to gather together Steve Flanders is presently doing the finishing touches to the Barnums and they will be officially released on 1st March or the Crow's Wedding day as it is known in Ireland.

If my brain wakes up properly and decides to be useful tomorrow I'll see if I can complete retexturing 'Prince Christian's frames, but as I mentioned before the tender is the real puzzle piece to try to get right.

GZmX04Z.jpg

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Schooner said:

Easier to get behind a Delightful Holiday in the Open Air than the GWR's spurious claims of Falmouth's Delightful Winter Climate...

What did they call it? - the Cornish Riviera, - something like that.

ovtJig8.jpg

Edited by Annie
added a picture
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Annie said:

ovtJig8.jpg

Ah yes, that sounds more like something that'll get past the Merchandise Marks Act. "Mild" allowing for perpetual mizzle with intermittent horizontal sleet Cornish Sunshine, shared liberally between the top of Bodmin Moor and the Carrick Roads!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Annie said:

ovtJig8.jpg

Caption translation: "The actual scene was photographed in mid June 1924, and the artist painted from the photo whilst freezing in the garden in February 1925"...

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Annie said:

GZmX04Z.jpg

Lovely. Lady No. 1432 Panopea and Alfred No. 1970 Good Hope. Need a bit of summer sun to bring out the blackberry in the black though! The Lady has done well to keep her tender free of coal rails as late as 1903...

Panopea was in the final batch of Ladies, built in July 1865. Apart from Edith, Eleanor, and Alfred Paget, they were named after minor classical goddesses. Panopea was a Nereid, one of the numerous daughters of the Old Man of the Sea and his wife Doris. Another of this batch was Eunomia, a Law'n'Order goddess. 

Good Hope was one of the twenty Alfreds built in 1903, given a typically eclectic set of names but in alphabetical order. You might think you were onto a theme with Boadicea and Caesar but then comes Charles H. Mason...

What size tender has Good Hope got? It ought, I think, be 2,000 gal but looks a bit 1,800 gal-ish from here.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

What size tender has Good Hope got? It ought, I think, be 2,000 gal but looks a bit 1,800 gal-ish from here.

According to Ed Heaps's description notes it's a Webb 2.500 gal tender.

It's this pair of locomotives that have had me on the brink of starting an LNWR project several times now.

Thanks very much for the additional notes on Panopea and Good Hope, - all very useful.

5 hours ago, MikeOxon said:

But what shade of Black is 'blackberry black'? 😕

It's a shade of black that's so limitless and deep that if you were careless and fell into it you'd never be seen again.

Edited by Annie
More words needed.
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Not quite as lovely as Panopea and Good Hope, but I'm still feeling very pleased because I fitted the missing vacuum pipes for the LMS motor train control system to the 5ft 6in tanks on the Denbigh & Mold branch.

4oAcqvH.jpg

The original maker for these engines had faithfully reproduced the control gubbins on the side of the smokebox, - only they left off the all important vacuum pipe needed to connect it to the motor train set.

LyiVUC2.jpg

And this is the bunker view.  I was lucky to find a photo that showed the position of the two vacuum pipes or else I would have positioned the new one on the left hand side of the coupling which would have been an awful mistake.  Not completely perfect as it was a case of working with what I could find.

Zz447Nm.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
On 26/02/2023 at 06:50, Annie said:

Evening Railway Company Cheer Up Poster:  Not often that I'm able to find a Cambrian Railways one.

2QSFhLa.jpg

Those were the days. High Altitude Golf. 

Of course, all the gentleman need do is leave his clubs behind and he is perfectly equipped for an attempt on Everest.

18 hours ago, Annie said:

ovtJig8.jpg

I suspect the reality was never quite so glamorous as the advertisements implied...

image.png.89906ca30e679fa506adf97efde2c281.png

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

14 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

It's a while since I did these models but I'm pretty sure the compound has a 2 500 gal tender. The single has a smaller tender with a lower platform height. I also did what I think was a 2 000 gal version (same wheelbase as the single tender but same platform height as the compound) which was never released as I hadn't done a loco to go with it (yet!). They were all based on a set of drawings from an old issue of RM.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, eheaps said:

It's a while since I did these models but I'm pretty sure the compound has a 2 500 gal tender. The single has a smaller tender with a lower platform height. I also did what I think was a 2 000 gal version (same wheelbase as the single tender but same platform height as the compound) which was never released as I hadn't done a loco to go with it (yet!). They were all based on a set of drawings from an old issue of RM.

Looking it up in Talbot you are absolutely right; my apologies. 2,000 gal tenders were introduced for the Greater Britain and John Hick 2-2-2-2s, also the Class A 0-8-0s, but the 4-cylinder compounds of the Jubilee and Alfred the Great classes had 2,500 gal tenders. The weight diagram of the Alfred in Talbot in fact shows a Whale 3,000 gal tender but there are plenty of photos with the Webb 2,500 gal tender.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 26/02/2023 at 06:50, Annie said:

2QSFhLa.jpg

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Those were the days. High Altitude Golf. 

Of course, all the gentleman need do is leave his clubs behind and he is perfectly equipped for an attempt on Everest.

I think he's supposed to be scanning the map to spot the golf courses.

Of course, the sites of interest are not "links" as the poster artist thinks, Golf Links are coastal courses, built around sand dunes. Wouldn't find links up a river valley!

As for golf clubs up Everest, why not?  Alan Shepard played golf on the moon!

The least said about Fatty Owls the better, especially when there's a remake in the pipeline....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Trick question: why is the vacuum-controlled regulator gear on the RHS of ex-LNWR engines, on the LHS of ex-Midland engines, and on both sides of an Ivatt 3MT?

The dying embers of the Crewe/Derby rivalry?  🤪

or

Which Ivatt are we talking about...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Trick question: why is the vacuum-controlled regulator gear on the RHS of ex-LNWR engines, on the LHS of ex-Midland engines, and on both sides of an Ivatt 3MT?

One of the unknown mysteries of the universe perhaps.  It does seem very strange.

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Not in the least. How does steam get from the boiler to the cylinders?

Via the regulator, - but I have to admit I'm very much perplexed over this regulator gear question.

nfHYica.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon I.o.W. Cheer Up Painting:  I ended up getting all brain fogged and crashing down asleep for the entire morning.  My brain is is more or less marginally working now and I've decided that I don't care what, why and how the LNWR and the Midland did wot they did with their silly motor train vacuum regulator pipes so long as I put them in the right place when I'm finishing off a motor train fitted model locomotive.

Wootton (Edwardian replica) station on the Isle of Wight, a painting by MT Cousins (can't read the signature all that well so I think that's right).  Anyway I like it a lot and it cheers me up because I like this kind of small country station and perhaps I should see if could make one something like it in SketchUp 8.

lvgnRoN.jpg

A snap of the real thing (courtesy of the Tripadvisor website).

Kt93aT3.jpg

Edited by Annie
Um.........
  • Like 11