Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

I like the idea of lime private owners, but it's a odd look with the tarpaulins. (i.e. not 'boxed in', like later wagons)

As far as I can tell, when lime was conveyed in ordinary Midland open wagons, they were sheeted. i think, but am not quite sure, that they were double-sheeted with a dedicated lime sheet underneath. But the lime was certainly conveyed loose in the wagon, not bagged.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 31/03/2024 at 06:42, Mikkel said:

Curvy bay with platforms both sides. Groovy.

Indeed! Big fan of that distinctive GWR TT formation too, which seems to crop up at a lot of the more modellable stations :)

On 29/03/2024 at 17:05, Northroader said:

the Brixham branch train

Much missed!

Schooner

(...who spent half his 20s working out of that place before he had a car. The bus from Paignton just doesn't have quite the same vibe. Should've found a boat in Dartmouth!)

Saltern_Cove_-_7820_up_service.JPG

• Like 4

On 31/03/2024 at 12:08, Annie said:

BbEbkKX.jpg

Private wagons with private tarps? Too short for Company wagon sheets, no? Its nice that there's enough contrast in the pic to get a good idea of how they were roped too, useful stuff :)

I see they've also adopted the McKinley approach of having wagons either as specials or in groups of 3. Most sensible.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Schooner said:

Private wagons with private tarps? Too short for Company wagon sheets, no? Its nice that there's enough contrast in the pic to get a good idea of how they were roped too, useful stuff :)

The more I look at the closest wagon of the trio the more I'm convinced that the load has been put up  in sacks.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Yesterday was my birthday, - it was one of those decade ones that can be a wee bit scary.  I almost missed it because this narcolepsy thing I live with snatched me away to the Dreamworld and wouldn't let me go.

When I got back though I made a cup of tea and decided to run trains about in the snow in 'Tristyn in Winter' to cheer me up a bit.  The 56xx's I have on Tristyn are always good reliable fun so I headed off on the scheduled trip working to Valleyfields and Branwyn.

HJpMdE6.jpg

(That's not Rathtyen you can see in the fog)

qdEWGzC.jpg

I only got as far as the big town at Rathtyen though because seeing it again annoyed me something shocking.  Apart from the random scatter of plonk down terrace houses it also had Soviet era Polish apartment blocks for heaven's sake.  The list of 'Not likely to have been seen in South Wales in the 1930's' was getting very long so I went and deleted a huge amount of it.  Levelled the ground, - and why the heck layout creators for Trainz don't do this I will never know, - and started to lay down some streets of decent looking and well modelled terrace houses that had proper back yards and everything.

As you can see Rathtyen is getting a proper goods shed at last as well since it was lacking even an improper goods shed.  I've tidied up some of the other smaller towns on Tristyn, but it always annoyed me that the biggest town on Tristyn looked a right old haphazard mess.  Steve Flanders has just released some new industrial buildings so I'll be getting rid of a few more unlikely Soviet buildings and replacing them with proper British ones.

I know I've got other pre-grouping and 19th century projects I should be doing, but for the present time Tristyn is my happy cheer up place so I think I'll keep on working on it for now.

K5ZenSC.jpg

A general view over Rathtyen before I got stuck in.

F9hulg3.jpg

Edited by Annie
More words needed.
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes, congratulations on the round number, we are lucky to reach them.

And Great Western in the snow. Not a bad way to spend a birthday!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Happy Birthday, Annie.  If we're talking Monday past (not quite sure how the time differences work) then we share that in common.  Mine, however, was not one with a big '0'.  As my son-in-law put it, the bingo call would be 'Sunset Strip'!*

Jim

*the youngsters on here won't have a clue about that - Google it!

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Happy Birthday!

Thanks very much Stephen.

1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

Yes, congratulations on the round number, we are lucky to reach them.

And Great Western in the snow. Not a bad way to spend a birthday!

Thanks Mikkel. Yes the round numbers are special and I'm pleased to get to this one.  Have to see how I get on with reaching the next one in the series.

Always fun to play around with my GWR engines in the snow.

40 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

Happy Birthday, Annie.  If we're talking Monday past (not quite sure how the time differences work) then we share that in common.  Mine, however, was not one with a big '0'.  As my son-in-law put it, the bingo call would be 'Sunset Strip'!*

Jim

Thanks Jim.  I know the time difference thing is a bit strange.  For me it's Wednesday the 3rd today and my birthday was yesterday on Tuesday. 

But anyway whatever day it is, - Happy Birthday and all the best from me.

41 minutes ago, magmouse said:

And happy birthday from me too! I assume it’s tomorrow for you by now, though. 

Nick

Thanks Nick, - much appreciated.

13 minutes ago, Tom Burnham said:

Happy birthday!

Thank you Tom.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Annie said:

Thanks Jim.  I know the time difference thing is a bit strange.  For me it's Wednesday the 3rd today and my birthday was yesterday on Tuesday. 

But anyway whatever day it is, - Happy Birthday and all the best from me.

Ah!  In that case you're a day after me. Mine was Monday.  It's late Tuesday here at the moment (23:17h)

Thanks for the good wishes all the same.  Let's hope we both hae mony o' them!!

Jim

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

Thanks for the good wishes all the same.  Let's hope we both hae mony o' them!!

Jim

I'll certainly raise a glass to that Jim.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Northroader said:

The clocks went on and I go to bed early, and only just caught up (excuses, excuses) but happy birthday belated wishes.

Thank you kindly Mr Northroader.

• RMweb Premium

B&ER Broad Gauge Cheer Up Photo:  One of Mr Pearson's amazing 9ft single driver well tanks.  I've caught COVID again so some heavy duty cheering up was needed.

1KeAowG.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning Broad Gauge Cheer Up Picture: An unidentified "Rover" hauling a set of wide bodied Clerestories, headed by a 40'PLV with wide duckets.  Photo courtesy of the Broad Gauge Society.

jYdlZ5y.jpg

Day 5 of having the plague for the second time and I'm starting to feel like I'm coming out of it.  The first 24 hours was rough, but after that it wasn't so bad.  I haven't been doing much as I've been spending most of my time asleep.  My energy reserves aren't the best and I get tired easily, but at least I'm beginning  to feel interested in doing things again.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

Sorry to hear about your second experience of Covid but it sounds as though you are on the mend. 

That's a splendid BG photo you've found, although it does show how 'old fashioned' the engine was looking in the last days of the BG - a final glimpse of polished brass and large single drivers before the rot set in 😀

Mike

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MikeOxon said:

Sorry to hear about your second experience of Covid but it sounds as though you are on the mend. 

Definitely doing better the second time around Mike.  I just hope I'm not stuck with having not much energy for as long as it was before.

1 hour ago, MikeOxon said:

That's a splendid BG photo you've found, although it does show how 'old fashioned' the engine was looking in the last days of the BG - a final glimpse of polished brass and large single drivers before the rot set in 😀

The rot setting in is definitely the right words for it.  Just imagine if the Broad Gauge engines had been properly developed and weren't left to soldier on as old fashioned placeholders until the day of execution.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

And back to Rathtyen on 'Tristyn in Winter'.  I woke up feeling much better today so I decided to see what I could get done at Rathtyen.  Rathtyen is the largest town on Tristyn and in many ways it was the worst mess.  It didn't even have a goods shed. 😲

Completing everything that's needing doing with rebuilding the town is going to take a while so I thought getting the railway infrastructure sorted so at least the trains can run would be a good thing to do.  Where the new goods shed is now was an area filled with mostly old scrap, rubbish and discarded sleepers.  Possibly fine for the late BR error, but not for the GWR.  Arranging a workable solution for accessing the goods shed and shunting the goods yard tested my slowed down brain a wee bit, but I think I've got something workable.  The test of course will be sending a trip working to Rathtyen and seeing how successfully I can manage to work the yard.

SZcdeuJ.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Annie said:

And back to Rathtyen on 'Tristyn in Winter'.  I woke up feeling much better today so I decided to see what I could get done at Rathtyen.  Rathtyen is the largest town on Tristyn and in many ways it was the worst mess.  It didn't even have a goods shed. 😲

Completing everything that's needing doing with rebuilding the town is going to take a while so I thought getting the railway infrastructure sorted so at least the trains can run would be a good thing to do.  Where the new goods shed is now was an area filled with mostly old scrap, rubbish and discarded sleepers.  Possibly fine for the late BR error, but not for the GWR.  Arranging a workable solution for accessing the goods shed and shunting the goods yard tested my slowed down brain a wee bit, but I think I've got something workable.  The test of course will be sending a trip working to Rathtyen and seeing how successfully I can manage to work the yard.

Freudian slip? Or a spell checker with a sense of humour?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, GWR57xx said:

Freudian slip? 

A garment that reveals more than it conceals.

(A Freudian comment in itself.)

3 minutes ago, GWR57xx said:

Or a spell checker with a sense of humour?

A poster with a sense of humour. If you read back you will see that this is Annie's standard terminology for the post-nationalisation period.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1