Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Schooner said:

Just broad gauge...?

ANT - 0-6-0ST - built 1877 by Manning Wardle & Co., Works No.663, for TJ Waller, Gisburn, as RIBBLESDALE - sold to Kirk & Randall, Tilbury - then to PLA - seen here in 1893 in the India Docks.

Ant.  She had a sister named Bee...

Apropos of nothing, I couldn't not share this

202-16.9-001-1024x730.jpg

So many details to take in! The 'temporary' wooden structure was replaced in the 1890s, after about 50 years' service.

Ooooo nice, - and that's both for the E.B. Wilson 0-6-0 and that lovely 19th century GWR timber station.

Fortunately the NLS has a proper OS map of Teignmouth from the age of enlightenment and it's a  posh 5 bob one too.

pBQBLuB.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Schooner said:

Just broad gauge...?

ANT - 0-6-0ST - built 1877 by Manning Wardle & Co., Works No.663, for TJ Waller, Gisburn, as RIBBLESDALE - sold to Kirk & Randall, Tilbury - then to PLA - seen here in 1893 in the India Docks.

Ant.  She had a sister named Bee...

Apropos of nothing, I couldn't not share this

202-16.9-001-1024x730.jpg

So many details to take in! The 'temporary' wooden structure was replaced in the 1890s, after about 50 years' service.

Ant looks very striking!  Are you sure that they're not very early "wasp stripes"? 🤪

And the large bloke on the footplate looks very truculent...

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

And the large bloke on the footplate looks very truculent...

Indeed - emphasised somehow by the fashion of buttoning the jacket only at the top. I assume this is a practical method to stop the sides of the jacket flapping about while allowing free movement at the waist. Possibly also the jacket dates from a time when the gentleman was a bit less, er, 'truculent'.

Nick.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

NLR drawings were recently mentioned. The NRM have scanned part of their Bow collection and they are available in wonderfully high resolution here: https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/documents/aa110002833/bow-works-locomotive-drawings

Similar pages are available for other works. The Derby and Stratford ones seem quite extensive from my exploring so far...

There are also lots of paintings (reproduced at lower res) from which this must count as a cheer up picture...

pic_1975_8504.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, eheaps said:

There are also lots of paintings (reproduced at lower res) from which this must count as a cheer up picture...

A definite Cheer Up picture Ed. 

The on-line resources they are making available in the way of drawings is downright amazing.  I found a  beautiful 19th century  brake van drawing amongst the Swindon collection just as one example.  Quite a few of the Stratford drawings are in a terrible state which is sad to see.  You could easily spend an entire day searching through the drawings and still not get through them all.

It was certainly good to see those Bow Works drawings including two bogie carriage drawings.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, eheaps said:

Similar pages are available for other works. The Derby and Stratford ones seem quite extensive from my exploring so far...

I'm afraid this one appealed to my inner schoolboy:

medium_2000_7702_00_486.jpg

I suppose high-res versions are available on request?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I have no idea at all what you are talking about.

Some of the Swindon drawings seem to be designated as being large already.  The coloured drawing and superb draughting make it easy to pick out the 19th century drawings.

DlEbXKG.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Annie said:

I have no idea at all what you are talking about.

I should hope not.

9 hours ago, Annie said:

Some of the Swindon drawings seem to be designated as being large already.  The coloured drawing and superb draughting make it easy to pick out the 19th century drawings.

DlEbXKG.jpg

But on inspection it turns out that large does not mean high-res. It's not possible to read clearly the writing on the right, which might include a date. Is that J. Holden's signature?

But it's a very thought-provoking brake van. It is similar to the Spalding & Bourne brake van built by Metropolitan in 1865, illustrated in Midland Wagons, which is in turn probably the same as Midland brake vans of the period, the fully-enclosed type probably coming in the following year:

image.png.8ed4f7828b2658555c3edc9b76105cb6.png

[HMRS ACJ418]

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Oh yes.

The experimental "Cerne Abbas" blastpipe...

I'm surprised that got through the drawing office inspection regime!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

But on inspection it turns out that large does not mean high-res. It's not possible to read clearly the writing on the right, which might include a date. Is that J. Holden's signature?

But it's a very thought-provoking brake van. It is similar to the Spalding & Bourne brake van built by Metropolitan in 1865, illustrated in Midland Wagons, which is in turn probably the same as Midland brake vans of the period, the fully-enclosed type probably coming in the following year:

Not surprisingly it's similar to a Broad Gauge design which is why it interested me.  The signature does look like J. Holden, but no matter how I tried to enhance it I couldn't get it any clearer.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Annie said:

Afternoon Cheer Up Poster: By Charles Sharland 1909.

JsoccL1.jpg

Is there a difference between 'Old fashioned country' and other types?

Jim

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

Is there a difference between 'Old fashioned country' and other types?

Jim

Just a reminder that in a few years time, the stream will be culveted and the children playing in the wild flowers would be sitting in a carpark...

Edited by Hroth
one too many letters.
  • Agree 3

12 hours ago, Annie said:

the 19th century drawings.

I think the M&WJR has found its brake van - those end brackets swung it - thank you. 

...although is "Goods Van" quite intentional - the vehicle having space for smalls in both ends and cabin. What's that top-opening floor hatch (IIUC) all about?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Schooner said:

What's that top-opening floor hatch (IIUC) all about?

I think that's the hinged lid to a storage box, that also forms a bench seat. Compare the end cross-section view. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Schooner said:

..although is "Goods Van" quite intentional - the vehicle having space for smalls in both ends and cabin. What's that top-opening floor hatch (IIUC) all about?

It is a brake van, it has vertically mounted brake wheels at each end supported by those nuce brackets you like.  I've got a Broad Gauge one that's very much of the same breed.  I don't know why the GWR decided to call it a 'Goods Van' unless they wanted to make it plain it was for use in goods trains.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Annie said:

I don't know why the GWR decided to call it a 'Goods Van' unless they wanted to make it plain it was for use in goods trains.

Perhaps there was disagreement as to whether to call it a Goods Brake Van or a Goods Break Van so Goods Van was a compromise?

At that time, what LNER-speakers and other such modern-image types call a van was called a covered goods wagon.

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

At that time, what LNER-speakers and other such modern-image types call a van was called a covered goods wagon.

Ah yes very true and thank you for clarifying that.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I took a little visit to my stalled WIP attempt at building (almost) Wantage.  I'd stopped working on it because i realised that I would either need to raise up the town by a couple of feet or so, or drop the station and yard down by the same amount.  At the time I couldn't figure out how to do it neatly without having to redo some of what I'd already done so everything ground to a halt.  I think I have it figured out now so I'll be coming back to sort that out fairly soon.

I had considered Wantage for my new tactile model railway layout, but in the end decided against it. I even had a look at the micro version on the Carendt.com website  https://www.carendt.com/micro-layout-design-gallery/standard-gauge-lines/

I came the conclusion that it wasn't really what I wanted in the way of a shunting layout and that trying to do it in a 48 inch X 12 inch space would make for some fairly cramped up trackwork.Po6mo2q.jpg 

qGbsuFP.jpg

Edited by Annie
Um.........
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Looking about for inspiration I stumbled across Awngate http://michaelsrailways.blogspot.com/p/awngate.html . Which certainly looks worthy of closer study.

And this photo of David Cox's finescale 'O' Wantage was interesting too https://www.flickr.com/photos/kentish/12105996066/in/photostream/ .

This far too small, but fascinating picture from Chasewaterstuff taken in 1900 shows the tramway laid with baulk track so I'll have to change that.

3-locos.jpg?w=1400&h=

Picture shamelessly borrowed from Didcot Railway Centre.

5-shannon-jane_a_56_20200617-184639.jpg

SmugMug has some nice pictures too.

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/RALWAYS-EXCLUDED-FROM-THE-1923-GROUPING/THE-WANTAGE-TRAMWAY/i-2GrWCcL

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Cheer Up Leaflet:  'A Trip Into Lincolnshire'. C.E. Pascoe 1898.  Courtesy of the British Library, no copyright issues known.

KW3alDk.jpg

Edited by Annie
can't spell for toffee
  • Like 5