Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

It doesn't look "out of place", unlike the BR 1964 Modernisation platform sign...

And at least the bloke isn't wearing the BR kepi of a similar date!

Some BR Muddlenisation items like the platform signs are still awaiting removal and replacement.

When I was much younger than I am now I can remember reading an article in an older edition of RM about the introduction of the BR silly hats uniform.  I thought it looked daft then and i still think it looked daft now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I find animated people and animals in Trainz a bit spooky, but some people seem to like them.  This pair of young ladies will be shortly placed into a time machine for a journey back to the future, but I thought you might be amused to see them.  The blonde girl in the green jacket who is being constantly distracted from reading her book is an older figure with a basic animation sequence, - and her wriggly friend who can't sit still has a more complex animated routine.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

The poor girl on the right looks as if she's desperate for the loo, but having seen the state of the "ladies" on the station platform, is hoping that the ones in the train will be better...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The poor girl on the right looks as if she's desperate for the loo, but having seen the state of the "ladies" on the station platform, is hoping that the ones in the train will be better...

Yes her animation is somewhat on the unfortunate side and with the evident skill of her creator I'm sure they could have devised a better one than that.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

...is hoping that the ones in the train will be better...

Tell me things are at rock bottom without telling me things are at rock bottom.

Uncanny valley territory when studied, but I think quite effective as 'dynamic scenery' from the cab...?

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Schooner said:

Uncanny valley territory when studied, but I think quite effective as 'dynamic scenery' from the cab...?

I can remember the first time I tested out the Cornish Truro to Penzance layout in TANE and suddenly there before me was an entire field of animated cattle.  Realism is one thing, but my trainset suddenly coming alive was quite another!

As it happened they were all illegal time travelling cattle and I changed them for some proper non-animated 1920s shorthorn cattle.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

My 3 rail 'O' Gauge version of 'Minories' in TRS22.  The track layout is the same as the more finescale effort I'm working on so I'm wondering why I got myself so upset over the signalling when the 'O' Gauge version is simplicity itself.

My 'O' Gauge version follows the same proportions as the original C.J.F trackplan, but I did give myself a wider baseboard to accommodate the pointwork's geometry.  The 'serious' finescale effort is longer, but constrained to the original's narrow width.  I think I'm struggling with the new version because it is meant to be a finescale model whereas with the earlier version I built I was in coarse scale 'O' Gauge mode so I felt more free to do as I pleased. 

This is meant to be fun so why am I beating myself up over it (sigh).

vFu3X8J.jpg

uYWqsdO.jpg

Edited by Annie
More words needed.
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Annie said:

My 3 rail 'O' Gauge version of 'Minories' in TRS22.  The track layout is the same as the more finescale effort I'm working on so I'm wondering why I got myself so upset over the signalling when the 'O' Gauge version is simplicity itself.

My 'O' Gauge version follows the same proportions as the original C.J.F trackplan, but I did give myself a wider baseboard to accommodate the pointwork's geometry.  The 'serious' finescale effort is longer, but constrained to the original's narrow width.  I think I'm struggling with the new version because it is meant to be a finescale model whereas with the earlier version I built I was in coarse scale 'O' Gauge mode so I felt more free to do as I pleased. 

This is meant to be fun so why am I beating myself up over it (sigh).

vFu3X8J.jpg

uYWqsdO.jpg

Annie,

Having looked at both sets of pictures a few times - and the original CJF design - I think I now understand your problem with the signalling. The two track layouts are not the same - the 3-rail "O" gauge layout is missing a vital cross-over that allows incoming trains to access the far terminal road (at the wall side of the station / layout). The station can work with this layout, but a lot more shunting is required to move the stock from arriving trains to the far "Departure" platform.

One of the good features of Minories as originally designed by CJF - and laid out in your newer 2-rail version - is that all three platform roads can accept incoming arrivals which can then become ready to depart with the application of a turn-over locomotive from the loco spur.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Chris H

P.S. - I am definitely a 3-rail, coarse scale "O" gauge fan nowadays.

CH

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Metropolitan H said:

Annie,

Having looked at both sets of pictures a few times - and the original CJF design - I think I now understand your problem with the signalling. The two track layouts are not the same - the 3-rail "O" gauge layout is missing a vital cross-over that allows incoming trains to access the far terminal road (at the wall side of the station / layout). The station can work with this layout, but a lot more shunting is required to move the stock from arriving trains to the far "Departure" platform.

One of the good features of Minories as originally designed by CJF - and laid out in your newer 2-rail version - is that all three platform roads can accept incoming arrivals which can then become ready to depart with the application of a turn-over locomotive from the loco spur.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Chris H

CH

Oh my word Chris, - how on earth did I manage to make a mistake like that!  My 'O' Gauge version of Minories has been downloaded over 1600 times and no one has ever said to me, - 'Oh by the way Annie you missed out a crossover'.  As for not noticing it's absence while operating Minories I suppose I must've assumed that it was meant to be like that.  Thank you so much for pointing out my mistake, - with being sleepy like I've been a lot lately I would have continued to fail to see what was wrong.

This is the original trackplan I was working off, - only with the suggested addition of the milk platform and goods shed.  I did have the trackplan for that somewhere, but I can't find it now.

.Hr5lYft.jpg

Edited by Annie
More words needed.
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

CH

Good choice.  It would be nice if I could manage to get a small 3 rail 'O' gauge  layout together sometime soon.  Something based on either Minories or Wantage would be fun.

I offered up the pointwork for a crossover onto the trackwork at Minories and it looks like it shouldn't be too difficult fit it into position.

HpTfCjU.jpg

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

One of the good features of Minories as originally designed by CJF

The feature, no? Along with achieving same with only one reverse-curve move. It's a really good little formation which I now find myself using a lot where I'm after busy traffic without busy track (looking at you Castle Aching), and I like how easy it is to plug elements in around it without it causing too much hassle.

I know the purists take A View on Minories, icon that it is, but for me if the throat is built around the formation as seen in @Annie's latest, above, it's a Minories. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Schooner said:

I know the purists take A View on Minories, icon that it is, but for me if the throat is built around the formation as seen in @Annie's latest, above, it's a Minories. 

Doing a search on the on-line version of Railway Modeller turned up several layouts claiming Minories as their inspiration.  Same with doing a Google search with Minories with a keyword.

Gavin Thrum's Great Moor Street https://thrumlington.blogspot.com/2015/06/great-moor-street-minories.html which also featured in the April 2015 edition of RM caught my eye

The East Surrey MRC blog also takes an interesting look at Minories.  https://esngblog.com/2016/12/18/minories-1-the-original-design/

Even the Scalefour Society was not ashamed to dabble with Minories.

Long running threads on Minories can be found here on RMWeb as well, but be prepared for the activities of the terrible picture eating monster.  https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/60091-theory-of-general-minories/

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

From the completely downright amazed and greatly Cheered Up department I give you...

Ed Heaps's District Railway locomotives.  Also may be found here...

2023-03-29_195601.jpg

Edited by Annie
added a link and wrote words
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

Minories done with Marx/Lionel O-27 3 rail track.  Just an exercise done for the sake of curiosity since I've got a ton of O-27 3 rail tinplate track.  I think I might need Mr Hacksaw here and there though.

vd1rIAk.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Schooner said:

No need for DCC sound to supply flange squeal for that authentic trench-railway experience!

The old O-27 trainset track is definitely flange squealer territory with it's tight curves  😄

I will do something with my old tinplate stuff eventually, but Minories might be a bit ambitious.

4S4SuDO.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Annie said:

I will do something with my old tinplate stuff eventually, but Minories might be a bit ambitious.

If I did do something with my tinplate stuff it would more than likely be a Wantage based effort since that would fit better with the small amount of rolling stock I kept back when I sold off most of my coarse scale 'O' Gauge collection.  Mr Hacksaw would still be needed to make the trackplan come together though.

I haven't forgotten about the TMR format Wantage project I started a while ago it's just that with being sleepy and still being knocked around by the after effects of LongCOVID I've decided to stick with working on Minories for the present time since it's a rebuild and modification job on an existing layout rather than a build from scratch effort.

I seem to have lost my copy of '60 Plans for Small Railways' again, but while searching for it I found Christian Wolmar's 'Cathedrals of Steam' instead.  It was interesting to read about the real Minories station (closed 1853) and how it was operated using fixed steam powered winches and cable haulage instead of locomotives.                                               

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening LNWR Cheer Up Picture:  An interesting divided drive compound conversion on an unsuspecting Beyer-Peacock 'A' Class.

4JbHTGh.jpg

Supplementary Evening Cheer Up Picture:  A District Railways Beyer-Peacock at Mansion House with all kinds of interesting details to be seen in this old photo.

SxPC7Pk.jpg

Edited by Annie
added a picture
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Annie said:

Evening LNWR Cheer Up Picture:  An interesting divided drive conversion on an unsuspecting Beyer-Peacock 'A' Class.

Webb's first experiment (of four) with a three-cylinder compound tank engine. Possibly the only condensing compound?

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

Webb's first experiment (of four) with a three-cylinder compound tank engine. Possibly the only condensing compound?

Yes I knew that Webb had used the Beyer-Peacocks as experimental testbeds, but this is the first good photo that I've seen of one of them.

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Apparently the condensing/compound combination worked pretty well for reducing steam in the tunnels.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 4