The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Slowest, draggiest, boringest

34theletterbetweenB&D

• RMweb Premium

Going to watch an ice hockey game is a great night out, for anybody who has never been to a game and who lives near a rink which hosts a team I'd recommend having a go. I'm quite lucky in that MK has a great ice rink and hosts some pretty entertaining games when MK Lightning play at home.

• Like 1

Going to watch an ice hockey game is a great night out, for anybody who has never been to a game and who lives near a rink which hosts a team I'd recommend having a go. I'm quite lucky in that MK has a great ice rink and hosts some pretty entertaining games when MK Lightning play at home.

Went for the first time last year, with (among others) my nephew who used to play in Streatham as a teenager. I asked him to explain the rules, and he said "get the puck in the net, and fighting is frowned upon. That's it!"

It wasn't bad at all - good atmosphere among the spectators. Wrap up warm though.

There are other rules about crossing those lines and how many players need to touch the puck as it happens, though quite what those rules are I don't know. You don't need to to enjoy the experience.

I've seen a few games in the UK, and it's pretty fun. Saw an NHL game in Canada too, and that had a great atmosphere, but was much harder to follow with the action being much faster and further away.

• Like 1

I have never, ever watched the Olympics - with or without snow - and never will. It's very strange but every time the "O" word is mentioned I suddenly find I absolutely must finished a model that has been sitting in a cupboard for ages.

I do sometimes hear snatches of some buffoon shouting and screaming during a radio news prog'. I can't understand a word, except that sometimes I catch the word "medal" - this provokes a retune to R3 and another model that needs painting is found.

Keep up the good work you sports-persons - you do wonders for my modelling mojo....

Chaz

• Like 2

I’m not at all into watching sport on the telly, so I’m in no position to offer advice, but my thinking would be: if it’s boring, don’t watch it, but do be grateful that you’ve got enough free time and peace to watch it you want.

• Like 2

Rhona Howie please (Us Howies have little enough fame) - BTW did you know that Lawn Bowls is the sport that you are statistically most likely to die taking part in? 

Jim (Howie)

An 80 year old getting a sudden glimpse of Granny stocking tops might just about do it...

Edited by allan downes

• RMweb Premium

As a non sports fan, I would like to observe that curling is the game with the least visible involvement of the officials. The only time I've seen them is when 2 stones were at such an even distance that they had to get out the giant compass/calipers to hope there was a sixteenth of an inch difference.

I didn't see it, but how do they work "mixed doubles" curling?

Whilst not an Olympic sport YET, I'll offer this nugget as a BORINGEST front runner...

Several years ago now, we were back in the UK vacationing with US friends.

In the car the Mrs, well versed by then from previous trips on the oddities of BBC programs/programming, especially BBC4 radio, tuned in;

imagine everyone's surprise to find a BIRD "WATCHING" show... ON THE RADIO, 30 minutes you'll NEVER get back! :O  :jester:

EDIT/NOTE: We were COMPELLED to listen to the entire 30 minutes simply to find out if anything actually made sense for such a program. Our friends at FIRST thought it was a joke a la Monty Python, turned out to be MUCH MORE amusing when it was realized it was SERIOUS :)

Reminds me of a radio segment I stumbled across some years ago (I have absolutely no CLUE the context) of a heavily-accented American farmer discussing his favorite breeds of chicken, and that the Chantecler Chicken was a standout to him. He insisted on saying Chantecler Chicken every time he referred to the bird and his accent made the whole thing rather amusing.