The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Slowest, draggiest, boringest

34theletterbetweenB&D

There's a game that is more tedious than cricket, golf, darts etc.! If ever here was a game for radio this is it. To save everyone's time I'll give out the 2022 olympic results.

Men's curling

Canada gold,

Sweden uh. Oh no, LTWTL...

How many hours of this tedium was it necessary to fast forward through to find the little shown of the very exciting men's ski cross? I have given up trying to see how Svindal apparently won the men's downhill, was it even shown?

I am definitely writing to the IOC with the rules for my new summer sport 'Paintdry'.

Weirdly, I can watch the curling with fascination for a good half an hour. Something about trying to workout what the experts are going to do, a bit like watching snooker on TV.

But darts - if your mental arithmetic isn't as quick as the commentator (is it ever?), each throw is just a will-he/won't he.

Same with much of the sliding - it's all about the 1/1000th of a second on the timer, and once you've seen one competitor bounce their way down the track it's like Formula 1: you're just watching for the crashes.

But yes, more of the mad fling yourself into the air and try to land safely skiing/boarding please. Even with the commentator's well-reahearsed "you don't need to be a rocket surgeon to do the maths on that one".

Curling is also fascinating if you've ever played lawn bowls, either the flat version, or the more challenging crown variety.

Skittles, now there's fun. You can splash beer on the opposition too which is even more fun.

...But yes, more of the mad fling yourself into the air and try to land safely skiing/boarding please. Even with the commentator's well-reahearsed "you don't need to be a rocket surgeon to do the maths on that one".

I'd gladly have the commentator's optionally silent. With microphones on course you can hear as well as see what is happening, but then some dullard wants to add inane comment. That reminds me, I'll recommend Matt Chilton as commentator for 'Paintdry'; the monotonous drone will only enhance the atmos.

Whilst not an Olympic sport YET, I'll offer this nugget as a BORINGEST front runner...

Several years ago now, we were back in the UK vacationing with US friends.

In the car the Mrs, well versed by then from previous trips on the oddities of BBC programs/programming, especially BBC4 radio, tuned in;

imagine everyone's surprise to find a BIRD "WATCHING" show... ON THE RADIO, 30 minutes you'll NEVER get back! :O  :jester:

EDIT/NOTE: We were COMPELLED to listen to the entire 30 minutes simply to find out if anything actually made sense for such a program. Our friends at FIRST thought it was a joke a la Monty Python, turned out to be MUCH MORE amusing when it was realized it was SERIOUS :)

Edited by Ian Abel

I'd gladly have the commentator's optionally silent. With microphones on course you can hear as well as see what is happening, but then some dullard wants to add inane comment. 

In one international curling competition held in Canada, the sponsors wanted the competitors miked up to add to the atmosphere. The Scottish team objected, but were told "it's in the contract". They said "OK, but we're not going to change anything we say." They had the mikes taken off after their first game. 

That's as maybe, but I would wade through treacle for the whole of eternity to watch Anna Sloan and Eve Muirhead lobbing stones past the hog line  :angel:

Haven't seen any of it on TV and don't know much about it being from Oz, but after googling these two, I'm now a confirmed fan of the GB Women's Curling Team. Phwoarrrrr. :)

I'm not sure that I should comment on the attractiveness of members of the curling teams, as I am probably old enough to be their grandad; but the only way that I can watch is with the sound turned right down, as all that high pitched squealing at each other really "does my head in" (to quote Coronation Street regulars). 

• RMweb Premium

Ice hockey is great, unfortunately the boycott by the NHL has meant that the ice hockey this time has been a bit disappointing with the US and Canada putting out teams that are several levels below what they could have sent. Also the introduction of football style diving and histrionics by the German team is a poor show

Ice hockey surely has to be the most boring sport second only to Rugby  ( Whistle. Stop. Scrum. Whistle. Stop. Scrum. Whistle...) where two frantic teams dressed in what looks like Alien underwear, end up punching the living daylights out of each other. 

Level three Tiddly-Winks. Bring it on !

Brian-McGrattan.jpg

Edited by allan downes

I'm not sure that I should comment on the attractiveness of members of the curling teams, as I am probably old enough to be their grandad; but the only way that I can watch is with the sound turned right down, as all that high pitched squealing at each other really "does my head in" (to quote Coronation Street regulars). 

All soaps depend entirely on their ratings value by getting the 'actors ?' to scream at each other whether there's any need to or not. ( Rickay !!!!!!!) 

Also, though I'm not sure about this, but 'Doctors' seems to be penned by the same writers that write 'Eastenders' which comes across as 'Eastenders' with stethoscopes where instead of market traders screaming at each other at every given opportunity, you get doctors, nurses and patients screaming at each other instead with equal volume and equal veracity.

While on the subject of soaps, I now believe that Coronation Street has a rather extreme feminist agenda. 

All the men on the programme seem to be either evil, stupidly incompetent, or sexual predators; and some times all of those together. 

Whereas the women seem to be constantly portrayed as victims, who merely want to drink bottles of wine without any male interference. 

Is all of this normal behaviour in Manchester?

I remember watching Rhona Martin lead the women's GB team to gold in 2002 late into the night -and it was worth staying up for!!

Rhona Howie please (Us Howies have little enough fame) - BTW did you know that Lawn Bowls is the sport that you are statistically most likely to die taking part in? 

Jim (Howie)

Edited by luckymucklebackit