Removing sticky residue from Hornby body?

Damn Hornby packaging (the vac-formed plastic try with soft 'pads' at pressure points) - Sticky material used to keep pads in place has made contact with tender body leaving sticky residue. Attempts to wipe off with tissue had now left paper fibres stuck to material.

Any tips on getting the stuff off?

warm water and cotton bud? mild soap?

I don't want to use any solvents (obviously)

What stupid packaging design!

WD40 on a cotton bud is worth a try. It gets sticky tape residue off of CD cases...

steve

So does Isopropyl Alcohol rubbed on with a cloth.  I have not intentionally tried it on loco bodies but, since i use it for wheel cleaning and track cleaning, I feel sure it must have come into contact with the bodies and I have not seen any ill effects.  Unlike WD40, IPA evaporates very quickly .

Harold.

Edited by HLT 0109

• RMweb Gold

Lighter fuel, definitely.

Be very wary of Isopropyl Alcohol. I don't know what it does to Hornby paint but it made a right mess of that on a Bachmann 08, from which I only wanted to remove the numbers.

John.

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Try Isopropyl Alcohol on either a spare piece of modelling plastic or the underside of a wagon body (where it won't show) and check if it leaves any marks.

I've always used it on my track and every wheel on my railway without any bother; I'm pretty sure I would have noticed if anything went wrong.

Gently does it.

• RMweb Gold

Try Isopropyl Alcohol on either a spare piece of modelling plastic or the underside of a wagon body (where it won't show) and check if it leaves any marks.

I've always used it on my track and every wheel on my railway without any bother; I'm pretty sure I would have noticed if anything went wrong.

Gently does it.

Great for cleaning and degreasing metal, but it rapidly softens paint in my experience.

It virtually stripped half the cabside of the Bachmann 08 mentioned in my earlier post with next to no rubbing. I gently applied a cotton bud moistened with it, expecting the numbers to lift off. The cotton bud turned green and a bare grey patch appeared on the loco almost instantly

Does IPA come in different strengths, perhaps? If so, the stuff in my bottle is presumably at the "rocket fuel" end of the spectrum.

I nowadays avoid getting it anywhere near anything that's painted or printed.

John  

Edited by Dunsignalling

I would personally use white spirit. It should remove the sticky residue almost instantly and provided you wipe it/dry it off fairly quickly, well before it has any ill-effects on the lining, etc. But it must be at your own risk as I cannot have any control over the application of it.

Don't use methylated spirit though (the purple stuff) as that WILL remove lining, etc., if left to linger (although it's good for removing printed-on lettering and lining without damaging the underlying paint.

I would personally use white spirit. It should remove the sticky residue almost instantly and provided you wipe it/dry it off fairly quickly, well before it has any ill-effects on the lining, etc. But it must be at your own risk as I cannot have any control over the application of it.

Don't use methylated spirit though (the purple stuff) as that WILL remove lining, etc., if left to linger (although it's good for removing printed-on lettering and lining without damaging the underlying paint.

This, IPA will attack the paint,

...Does IPA come in different strengths...

Not as such. It is either pure, solely the named chemical; or mixed with other chemicals, of which the most likely is water. A little water added to pure IPA will considerably reduce its solvent action which can be useful if it is too aggressive for a particular purpose, same applies to denatured ethanol (methylated spirit or 'meths' in the UK). That's why we don't use vodka to remove tampo printing, too much water already added to the ethanol.

I too usually use white spirit for shifting sticky goo.

Do you know if meths will take the "Huntley and Palmers" off a Peckett without damaging the blue? Have you ever tried it? What have you used it on please?

IPA and alcohol/meths are solvents for acrylic paint and should be used with caution on modern finishes. Enamel thinners should be OK, but care is still advisable. I have used a hard rubber ink eraser, but it tends to polish the matt finish to a nice gloss. It can of course give the effect of a cleaned number on a weathered locomotive.

Guest teacupteacup

Seconded, dip the very tip of a cotton bud in white spirits briefly and lightly rub over the area, this will take the residue off in no time, protecting the printing below.  Dont overload the cotton bud!!

• RMweb Gold

Seconded, dip the very tip of a cotton bud in white spirits briefly and lightly rub over the area, this will take the residue off in no time, protecting the printing below.  Dont overload the cotton bud!!

White Spirit (if it's proper White Spirit) is just a purer form of Meths and carries the same hazards to paint and print.

Anything with an alcohol base can and will attack acrylic finishes.

I've used lighter fluid (petrol) for removing greasy finger marks etc. for many years (taking the same care you suggest) and have never dislodged any markings or picked up any body-colour on a cotton bud.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

Try rolling some Blu-tack over the sticky parts. It works for removing the sticky remnants of price tags on CD cases and the like.

I was also going to suggest Blu-tack. Masking tape works in similar way. Gentle 'dabbing' in both cases, once you know it is lifting the 'sticky' away.

• Like 1