Short circuit

russ p

• RMweb Gold

Powered the station area of my layout up tonight only to find the short circuit light come on

I disconnected the controller and put a decent quality multimeter across the rails which confirmed it

There is no stock on it , I found a rouge electro frog point which I replaced but its still there

I've checked and double checked the wiring to no avail

I think im going to have to divide it up into sub power districts

Has anyone had any problems with Peco insulfrog points causing shorts

Cheers

Russ

Double post sorry ,admin can you remove it please

Insulfrogs really shouldn't cause shorts, and if your wiring is unchanged I doubt it's spontaneously grown a short. I'd be looking elsewhere for a problem.

Look for errant screwdrivers, loose track etc that may be shorting the rails since I'm an idiot and don't notice these things sometimes, so I figure other people might do it too.

• RMweb Gold

I've colour coded the wiring and can't find either a wire on the wrong rail or a red to the black or the other way round under the board

Think I'll have start removing fishplates and cutting the transverse cables to the bus

• RMweb Gold

Sleep on it and tomorrow you may find it straight away.

I did that once when an unexplained short occurred one hot afternoon in the loft. The following day, when it was much cooler, the short had gone away.  Turned out it was an insulating gap I had cut in the rails that had closed up in the heat. Made a note to myself to always use proper IRJs in the future. 

• Like 1

If you are going to remove fishplates & cut droppers try to divide the layout in half by removing fishplates & cutting the bus.

This should divide the layout into 2 power districts, test each To find which half the short is in( unless you are unlucky & have 2 shorts)

Have a visual look for the short , if you can't find it then split that half into 2 & check each of them

Repeat until the fault is found

When the fault is found & fixed it would be advisable to reconnect in sections & check for faults as you go

John

Sorry, I know this is like "shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted" but, having helped friends to sort out wiring issues on their DCC layouts, I have learned the hard way to test with a multimeter as each piece of wiring is added, rather than after a whole board or and entire layout has been wired.

With one problem, it took almost an entire day of unsoldering joints to trace a short . . . and almost inevitably it was in one of the last pieces of track to be isolated where the fault was finally found.

John

Assuming that you have the normal arrangement of droppers attached to two bus wires then what I would do is split the bus wires to isolate the problem before you start cutting droppers and removing railjoiners. 

Get some choc drop terminal blocks (rated at 10A or more) and starting a few feet from the point furthest from the command station split the bus wires.  Check if the short is still there.  If it isn't then the fault is in the section beyond the cut.  If it is still there then use a two "chunk" choc drop connector to rejoin the cut and move a few feet closer to the command station and repeat.    Eventually you will find the section where the short is and can do a detailed examination of the droppers and rail breaks in that section.  Having the choc drop connectors means you can isolate sections in future if you need to.

Edited by DY444

Depending on the sensitivity and speed/stability of your meter.... You may be able to get close to the short by using the ohms range rather than the continuity/beep setting .... By looking for the lowest  R value found ... This does require your probes to make good, reliable, contact with the rail head... But may reduce the number of fishplates or connection you need to break.

Edited by Phil S
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm using the continuity setting on the meter

It's actually got worse I've divided the layout and I've got shorts on both halfs !!

I've checked the unwired section of the layout and that's fine

Can't find any wiring errors anywhere must be defective points

Any one got clockwork motors for sale

If you're 100% certain that you've checked that all your droppers are connected to the correct bus wire and that there isn't an electrofrog point in there somewhere which you haven't taken account of then I'm stumped.  As it seems to be a widespread fault then the only further thing I can offer is that tends to shift the odds slightly towards it being a systemic issue, ie you've introduced the same wiring error in more than one place.

• RMweb Gold

That's what I'm thinking but can I hell as find it, I've colour coded the wires red for right rail blach for left and can see and deviation from it

I all so removed the scissors crossing and checked that which is fine

All the points have the plastic insulation on the frog

I wonder if one of the new ones has a fault in the V causing a short

Basically I think I'm going to have to remove every point

Odd thing is the other side of the layout is fine and that has points from the same batch

Concentrate on one of the faulty sections until you find the cause. Repeatedly halving the circuit is the fastest way to locate the fault.

Once you've found the cause in one section there's a good chance that the same problem exists in other sections.

PS there have been a few faulty points reported lately so it may be quicker concentrate on the points.

Hi there.

Firstly I would double check that there is no short between the railA and railB terminals on your command station with said wires disconnected.

Second I would check anything that is connected to the track circuit. I assume the points are DCC operated? If so check the motors and the latching.

Lastly I would check the point blades to ensure that they all move far enough to disengage the little metal shelves on each side. It is not impossible for the point blades not to move far enough particularly if the over centre springs are still installed.