Impetus Ruston Hornsby 0-6-0DE Shunter PWM652

John Isherwood

• RMweb Premium

As I have intimated in other threads, I have spent the last few weeks - more off than on - building a 4mm scale Impetus etched brass Ruston Hornsby 0-6-0DE Shunter, as BR PWM652.

post-2274-0-65572400-1518970506_thumb.jpg

post-2274-0-19740300-1518970516_thumb.jpg

The kit was built largely as intended, with a Mitsumi motor driving a High Level gearbox and fitted with a flywheel.

As I wanted to build the model as three separate units - chassis, footplate and body - I strengthened the latter by soldering in a cab floor and a base to the radiator. The three components screw together, and the cab roof is removable, being clipped in place.

There were no basic errors in the etches, other than misplaced holes for the exhaust and the cab roof mounted horns. The finished model looks and performs like the real thing - all that one can ask of a kit, especially one this old.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

PS. I had promised a photo 'in the brass' - but forgot!

PPS. The white brake blocks are authentic - I have an ex-works photo.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi John

I’ve got a Judith Edge PWM650 kit in the to do pile. Slightly different to the PWM651-4 batch as I’m sure you know. Where did you source the R&H badge from? I’ve spent a bit of time looking, but with no success.

Lovely build by the way.

Neil

• RMweb Premium

Hi John

I’ve got a Judith Edge PWM650 kit in the to do pile. Slightly different to the PWM651-4 batch as I’m sure you know. Where did you source the R&H badge from? I’ve spent a bit of time looking, but with no success.

Lovely build by the way.

Neil

Yes - PWM650 had a different cab, and other details, from the rest of the PWM Ruston Hornsbys.

The radiator and cab plates came in the kit - and very nicely etched they are too. Do Judith Edge not provide them with their kit for PWM650?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Ah, they may do John I’ll take a look. I’ve just had the kit out.

Edit : no there isn’t, there’s a Ruston bonnet badge and PWM650 plate but no R&H plate. I’ll need to check photos of the prototype, but I’m sure it carried them.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

• RMweb Premium

Ah, they may do John I’ll take a look. I’ve just had the kit out.

Edit : no there isn’t, there’s a Ruston bonnet badge and PWM650 plate but no R&H plate. I’ll need to check photos of the prototype, but I’m sure it carried them.

Neil

It depends on how long you've had the kit, current production should have a full set of plates. We're on holiday just now, remind me in a couple of weeks and we'll send you some.

Judith and Michael Edge

• RMweb Gold

It depends on how long you've had the kit, current production should have a full set of plates. We're on holiday just now, remind me in a couple of weeks and we'll send you some.

Judith and Michael Edge

Hi Michael

Many thanks for responding on holiday. I’ve had the kit for 4/5 years, I’ll drop you a line in a couple of weeks. Hope you enjoy your holiday and excellent customer service.

Thanks

Neil