Export Locos on mainline tests in the UK

m0rris

Good morning all,

I was wondering whether RMwebbers would have any information about the mainline testing of locos built for export before they left Blighty for good. I came across a photo*, of a NSU class for the Commonwealth Railways at Banbury and I've not been able to find much more about it beyond what is on the Derby Sulzers site. I have heard of the Cuban class 47s being tested on the mainline as well but was this a common practice?

On todays railway, it is understandable that new types are generally tested on the GCR or sent over Velim to test them out but it seems fascinating that it was possible to see Australian etc locos on the mainline here. If there are any more photos of these out there it would be fascinating to see them.

*https://www.derbysulzers.com/nsu51testcukbwsmall.jpg and https://www.derbysulzers.com/australiabrcw.html

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have a photo in a book of two diesel shunters for export on a passenger train at Glasgow Central in the late 1950's/early 60's. They must have been from NBL, possibly for Sri Lanka. Not relocated the book yet.

Dava

I would imagine that, even in the halcyon days of British locomotive building, it would be rare to see export designs being tested on the mainline because of loading-gauge problems. Even transporting them to the ports was done by road because of this.

Not to mention that most Commonwealth countries aren't even on the same track gauge.

Not to mention that most Commonwealth countries aren't even on the same track gauge.

Interestingly though, the NSU class were built for Australian Narrow Gauge - 1,067mm, so another set of bogies must have been procured from somewhere for one to run to Banbury and back!

Edited by m0rris