Ex-Midland Compounds on Local Trains 1927ish?

Guest Skarloey Railway 1865

As per the title, would former MR Compounds have been seen on 3-4 coach local/stopper trains around 1927 with the introduction of the new LMS passenger designs?

I have looked through some of my LMS books but cant really find an answer.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Possibly not quite that early; in 1927 they were still front line power over much of the system. The Scots were about to arrive and the Baby Scots a few years after, soon followed by the Stanier classes. But the only new type in early 1927 was the Horwich Crab, and they were not ideal express locos, although used very much as such.

• RMweb Gold

I think it would depend on the area. On the Midland they were main power ontil the coming of the Stanier classes. On the Northwertern side they ran all sorts  but were often seen double heading with other types. There is a picture of two Compounds double heading a Class B service at Coventry in the late 1920s.

I had a slight feeling that maybe it was a bit too early to have one relegated to secondary services, so thanks for confirming. :)

Alex

• RMweb Gold

Looking at some pictures around my old area there were Compounds on Birmingham - Bristol expresses up to at least 1937.

I can remember seeing them once or twice on the Gloucester stoppers in the 1950s but these regularly turned up with Midland 2P 4-4-0s or 4F 0-6-0s as well.