Diddy Yard, OO Gauge in 30cm x 25cm

Guest ShildonShunter

Great idea Jerry not having both layout joined permanently just click the track together and your away able to run from one layout to another. Great start on the extension looking forward to seeing more.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Luke.

Thanks for your reply, the layout can easily be split as they are not joined in any way, this was the idea all along and it will have a fiddle yard that fits both configurations.

Jerry.

If you can find a third box place it between the other two boxes with just plain track between them and use that as a fiddle yard for both of the layouts at the same time.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Luke.

Thanks for your reply, the layout can easily be split as they are not joined in any way, this was the idea all along and it will have a fiddle yard that fits both configurations.

Jerry.

If you can find a third box place it between the other two boxes with just plain track between them and use that as a fiddle yard for both of the layouts at the same time.

Or place the third box the other way up and install a traverser with 3 tracks?

Edited by PhilJ W

Hi Everyone, and thank you all for your replies.

The fiddle yard will just be two parallel tracks capable of holding a 08 Or 04 and two wagons.

I'm just deciding on how it will look at the moment, the halt station will be staying, just deciding what to do with the other area.

I may build another layout based on this idea but that's for the future.

More soon.

Jerry.

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

I like Christian's idea of regulalrly producing a new extension!

Thanks ModellingMatt.

I'm going to start work on the extension today, I'm going with the halt station and see what happens with the rest of it.

I'm thinking railcar and short 4 wheel coach + loco for passengers plus short freight to the yard.

More soon.

Jerry.

Edited by Jerry1975
  • Like 2

Guest Bishoptrains

Hi Jerry love the layout its been great following your progress excellent detailing and modelling looking forward to seeing your extension part of the layout.

Hi Everyone.

Thanks for all of your replies and kind comments etc.

I have done a bit of work to the layout and will post a photo soon, just waiting for glue to dry.

With the weather forecast not good for the next few days I'm going to be modelling so a lot of progress should be on the cards.

So far I have ballasted and painted the track.

More soon.

Jerry.

• Like 2

Hi Everyone.

Thanks to everyone who has replied, left comments etc, very kind.

No work has been done on this lately, this is due to me being undeceive about what to do about the extension.

I'm actually thinking of leaving it as just one scenic board and using the other as the fiddle yard, partly due to the fact I can't find another anywhere and I don't really want to build one myself.

I'm going on a weekend break ( weather permitting, but should be ok ) tomorrow so will ponder over it.

Jerry.

• Like 1

Really like this, Jerry - well done indeed! Very, very inspirational to those of us who love micros - thank you.  I'd scoped out something similar in a box-file, as an Inglenook 3-2-2. Do hope you have a nice break away and are on the mend, health-wise

For d&h, 'twas me who built the 2-in-1 layout featured in RM many years ago: a mini-modern era warehouse scene one one end  (using a Lima 08 and a couple of lwb vans) and a light railway branch terminus on the other end (Dapol Terrier and a Ratio  4-wheeler coach). I think the whole thing was about a metre long with a scenic divide in the centre. The  concept was not original - I nicked it off Dave Carson from an article he had in Scale Model Trains in the 1980s, I think. Very limited in operation though!

All the best guys .

Julian (Andrews)

• Like 3

Thanks Julian for your kind words.

I really liked your feature in railway modeller, chapel street I thought was particularly inspiring and MicrO was a great little layout.

I'm trying to build layouts out of bits I have left over from others at the moment, and trying to push the barriers as to what can you do in such small places.

I noticed I have some spare foamboard leftover ( dangerous to have anything like shelves, foamboard, anything really I can use as a baseboard ) so after my break another small layout may be built.

Jerry.

• Like 4

Hi Everyone.

I am back from my much needed break away.

I have decided to leave the layout as is and use the crate as a fiddle yard, this is partly due to the fact I can't find anymore and I don't want to build one.

I need to build a backscene and hide the fiddle yard from view then just finish off and it's done.

A new is in the planning stage at the moment but that's for later.

Jerry.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Diddy yard has now passed to a new owner, I hope they enjoy it.

I really enjoyed building it and thanks to everyone who commented, gave advice etc.

A new layout is being planned, this time I'm going across the pond.

Jerry.

• Like 1

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi Jerry I'm looking forward to the Diddy yard arriving and looking forward to following your next modelling adventure.:)

• Like 1

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi Jerry thanks for such a wonderful layout I'm already thinking about what I can achieve on the other board so it marries up with Diddy Yard.:)