The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

TV presenters you either love or hate

allan downes

Unfortunately some of the older TV sitcoms are totally unsuitable for modern broadcasting, e.g. Till Death us do Part, Love thy Neighbour and Mind your Language.  Oh yes and my mother and fathers favourite variety programme- The Black and White Minstrel Show

Jim

Over here, PBS is where old British shows come to die.  They are repeated over and over again with very little new input.  Probably because they can't afford it!  The aforementioned Till Death us do Part along with Keeping Up Appearances, As Time goes By, Chef and Open all Hours are current offerings as well as Grantchester, Midsomer Murders and The Coroner, for the serious viewer.  In the end, you get to know every line, if you watch then enough!  If you've ever seen FoxTV and its moronic offerings, you can perhaps understand why anyone would want to watch these old shows.

Brian.

Brian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Alan Titmarsh arrived outside my house just before 9am and was still filming in the garden across the road after 5pm, so all credit for putting in a full shift in rather damp conditions.

He seemed to be very involved and wearing wellies got stuck in. Not like some who just do their bit to camera and clear off to the canteen truck.

There was no canteen truck in this case but an endless supply of coffee kept flowing from the kitchen.

SWMBO wandered across the road and had a word. She was actually more interested in seeing if there was any thing worth salvaging from the skip. Ossie habits die hard.

Quite impressive to see the team in action and I look forward to seeing the finished programme.

Bernard

Unfortunately some of the older TV sitcoms are totally unsuitable for modern broadcasting, e.g. Till Death us do Part, Love thy Neighbour and Mind your Language.  Oh yes and my mother and fathers favourite variety programme- The Black and White Minstrel Show

Jim

Don't forget 'It Ain't Half Hot, Mum'

They have run some episodes of Til Death and It ain't 'alf hot fairly recently, though not regularly...

We were discussing Love thy Neighbour recently and agreed that it wasn't as offensive as people make out... The basic premise was the two blokes forever exchanging insults (including "offensive" language from both of them, not just the white guy) whilst the two wives got on like a house on fire... Perhaps there's more to it than first meets the eye but people have got so PC they can't see beyond the language...

Edited by Hobby

I haven't seen much of these programs, but I did catch a bit of "on the buses" (a film version I think), and found it offensively sexist and about as funny as an 8 month long fraud trial.

Maybe it makes me some kind of PC snowflake, or maybe I missed the joke, but I didn't enjoy it...

Edited by Zomboid

They have run some episodes of Til Death and It ain't 'alf hot fairly recently, though not regularly...

We were discussing Love thy Neighbour recently and agreed that it wasn't as offensive as people make out... The basic premise was the two blokes forever exchanging insults (including "offensive" language from both of them, not just the white guy) whilst the two wives got on like a house on fire... Perhaps there's more to it than first meets the eye but people have got so PC they can't see beyond the language...

'Til death is widely misunderstood as well, isn't it? Given the the British are so good at irony and stuff, it's a total surprise.

I haven't seen much of these programs, but I did catch a bit of "on the buses" (a film version I think), and found it offensively sexist and about as funny as an 8 month long fraud trial.

Maybe it makes me some kind of PC snowflake, or maybe I missed the joke, but I didn't enjoy it...

The best thing about "On The Buses" was when the series came to an end.

The film farce wrapped it up perfectly as the biggest. most unfunniest and most boring crap of the year with Reg Varney and Stephen Lewis contributing greatly to  the award.

The best thing about "On The Buses" was when the series came to an end.

The film farce wrapped it up perfectly as the biggest. most unfunniest and most boring crap of the year with Reg Varney and Stephen Lewis contributing greatly to  the award.

Whenever I see it on Freeview, it's skipped fastly! The same with 'Birds of a Feather', where the joke wore off very quickly

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

One of the best decisions of the team behind Fawltey Towers was to call it a day after two series. They made those two series of comic brilliance, crafted to perfection and quit while they were ahead. Too many of these shows go on too long and end up being very tired, often ending up as a parody of earlier series.

• Like 1

I'v always believed that once the leading actors leave a series due to either ill health or retirement, that is when they should put the cow out to pasture and stop milking it bone dry by injecting " New for Old" and just call it a day.

One of my personal favourites was Midsomer Murders with the irreplaceable John Nettles.

But now we have - well at least to me anyway - a totally unwatchable pair trying to take off from where the originals bowed out with dignity - STOP messin' with my TV !

Next thing you'll know, they'll be replacing Doc Martin with him !

2dfce8e24ef57747cd4876a6ffc03b89.jpg

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't have any time for these rehashes of Porridge and Open All Hours, without the chemistry that Ronnie Barker had with the likes of Fulton McKay and the rest of the cast the remakes are absolute rubbish.

Jim

Whilst I agree with the general premise that a lot of sitcoms went on far too long, and most "re-boots" are a vain attempt to recreate so-called classics but fail miserably, I will make one exception with Still Open All Hours. The fact David Jason is one of the producers and the original writers are involved has to my view kept the feel and "ethos" of the original and is a respectful, and worthy follow on from the original. It is however a single shining example in a sea of failed follow on series. David Croft and Jimmy Perry could be some of the worst offenders with their same tired repertory cast turning up in similar scenarios, albeit different settings, in everything from holiday camps to railway stations, which is a shame seeing as they gave us Dad's Army.

• Like 1

Did I hear "Dad's Army" vaguely  mentioned ?

Well not vaguely enough for me. An absolute load of tripe churned out by some very good actors but, please, don't include Clive Dun amongs't them with his sickening rendition of "Grandad "

0.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I like Hi Di Hi!! I didn't think it was a follow on to any other sitcom, though?

Dr Beeching I agree with you on, though, and the follow on to Are You Being Served...

No, Hi di Hi was reasonably fresh and original to begin with but spawned "You Rang m'Lord" and the woeful "Oh Dr Beeching" using pretty much the same actors, and to be brutal, pretty much the same plots and jokes. Hi di Hi was good at the start but like a lot of BBC Sitcoms did overstay it's welcome.

There's something about the BBC flogging dead horses like Last of the Summer Wine and Are You Being Served to the point they become absurd and tired that I find puzzling.

Did I hear "Dad's Army" vaguely  mentioned ?

Well not vaguely enough for me. An absolute load of tripe churned out by some very good actors but, please, don't include Clive Dun amongs't them with his sickening rendition of "Grandad "

0.jpg

In this case "MFP" stands for "music for puking"

Jim

There's something about the BBC flogging dead horses like Last of the Summer Wine and Are You Being Served to the point they become absurd and tired that I find puzzling.

Including Only Fools... They didn't 'alf flog that horse to death...

• RMweb Gold

In this case "MFP" stands for "music for puking"

Jim

Ahh, MFP. They used to have an eclectic selection of music including a chart-hits compilation sung by soundy-likey singers who today keep themselves in Bensons by becoming tribute acts. Soundy-likey was a matter of opinion.

However, there was worse than MFP. Hallmark. Much beloved of market traders, their output consisted of soundy-likey recordings of the soundy-likey MFP session singers, with a result they didn't soundy-likey much at all. I was amazed to find a Hallmark CD of orchestral arrangements of Beatles favourites some years back with some outfit called the "Welsh National Orchestra". I can only assume they recorded the tracks with the conductor in one studio and the orchestra in another as the timing and performances were dismal. The drummer sounded like he was an unemployed panel beater from Port Talbot and as for the horns section, well I think the Mumbles lifeboat was missing a set.

It was so bad, and well down to Hallmark's previous "quality" it was brilliant.

• RMweb Premium

A comedy show that has gone on for far too long is the Simpsons. I used to love that show and still consider the series produced in the 1990's to be amongst the best TV comedy ever made (animated or otherwise) but it became very tired, formulaic and went from a parody of life to self parody.

• Like 1

A comedy show that has gone on for far too long is the Simpsons. I used to love that show and still consider the series produced in the 1990's to be amongst the best TV comedy ever made (animated or otherwise) but it became very tired, formulaic and went from a parody of life to self parody.

This is an American corporate way of looking at the world never mind the quality look at the ratings!