The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

TV presenters you either love or hate

allan downes

• RMweb Premium

Now you're talking. He's the very best thing to come out of the US!

attachicon.gifRich Hall...jpg

Not forgetting Henning Wehn...the best thing to come out of Germany!

attachicon.gifhenning-wehn-the-germans.jpg

Henning When is indeed a class act! Rich Hall's series of radio shows on the last Presidential election were the best comment on that whole sorry saga I saw or heard, they were brilliant. He did a brilliant TV documentary on the US presidency which is available on youtube and well worth watching:

Qualified doctor. But why let the facts get in the way of a good rant, eh.

If he is a qualified doctor he should  be putting his training to much better use.

I have gone off him a lot more learning that.

Also it was not a rant,  it was a statement  of how I felt.!

Keith.

• RMweb Premium

I think TV has lost much of the influence and popularity it once had. For a period it brought the country together, informed and educated and provided a shared cultural experience. Saturday evening peak time entertainment shows became a part of our identity and TV factual programing was the point of reference for how many viewed the world. Since TV has fragmented into 100's of channels that shared experience has been shattered, people are now much more sceptical of traditional media whilst perhaps being alarmingly trusting of social media (as is often the case, veering from one extreme to another) and the key channels for peddling influence and forming opinion are no longer to be found on TV (if it is any comfort to TV people, the relative decline in influence of news papers has if anything been greater). I must admit I'd not really be that bothered to go without TV and don't watch that much of it, and when I do watch "TV" it tends to be on-line content from the likes of Amazon and Netflix.

I think TV has lost much of the influence and popularity it once had. For a period it brought the country together, informed and educated and provided a shared cultural experience. Saturday evening peak time entertainment shows became a part of our identity and TV factual programing was the point of reference for how many viewed the world. Since TV has fragmented into 100's of channels that shared experience has been shattered, people are now much more sceptical of traditional media whilst perhaps being alarmingly trusting of social media (as is often the case, veering from one extreme to another) and the key channels for peddling influence and forming opinion are no longer to be found on TV (if it is any comfort to TV people, the relative decline in influence of news papers has if anything been greater). I must admit I'd not really be that bothered to go without TV and don't watch that much of it, and when I do watch "TV" it tends to be on-line content from the likes of Amazon and Netflix.

I think the same can be said of the music scene in general, not so long ago there was a large number of bands and solo artists who had a very big influence on those around them and those who came after them. Some of them had longevity too and still sell bucket loads of albums long after their time, alive or dead. Today it seems to me that anyone who makes it big has a small sphere of influence on social media then pretty much disappears, never to be heard of again until they pop up on 'reality' TV show.

Has anyone yet mentioned Rachel Parris from the Mash Report? She can deliver the most devastating lines with a completely innocent, bimbo smile.

Health warning - If you think Donald Trump or Brexit are great (or if you are Piers Morgan), the Mash Report may not be very good for your blood pressure. 

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 2

If you could only see US TV network schedules, you wouldn't feel so bad!

Brian.

Christmas Season - or the Syrup Season as I like to call it - where the worst and most predictable  plots are churned in with the Christmas Pud mix then unloaded wholesale onto unsuspecting UK TV Audiences.

Same old tripe, just different, sickly faces.

She/he divorced. Aren't they always ?

Couple of dreary kids chucked in for extra syrup value.

Enter stage left, 6ft plus of perfect hair, teeth, jaw and waistline.

After an hour or so of this, he ends up with her, kids end up with both and all gather somewhere up to their neck in snow outside swaying gently hand in hand to and fro singing....Wait for it ! Silent night. what bloody else ! 

Christmas Season - or the Syrup Season as I like to call it - where the worst and most predictable  plots are churned in with the Christmas Pud mix then unloaded wholesale onto unsuspecting UK TV Audiences.

Same old tripe, just different, sickly faces. (Must included a minority)

She/he divorced. Aren't they always ?  ( Long blonde hair, blouse undone to show b**bs, smartphone, shorts and high heels)

Couple of dreary kids chucked in for extra syrup value. (Usual bratty kind)

Enter stage left, 6ft plus of perfect hair, teeth, jaw and waistline.  (Lanky hair, bearded, shirt undone to show cheap necklace, smart watch, jeans and trainers)

After an hour or so of this, he ends up with her, kids end up with both and all gather somewhere up to their neck in snow outside swaying gently hand in hand to and fro singing....Wait for it ! Silent night. what bloody else !   (Divorced six months later)

As seen on TV!

Brian.

Christmas Season - or the Syrup Season as I like to call it - where the worst and most predictable plots are churned in with the Christmas Pud mix then unloaded wholesale onto unsuspecting UK TV Audiences.

Same old tripe, just different, sickly faces.

She/he divorced. Aren't they always ?

Couple of dreary kids chucked in for extra syrup value.

Enter stage left, 6ft plus of perfect hair, teeth, jaw and waistline.

After an hour or so of this, he ends up with her, kids end up with both and all gather somewhere up to their neck in snow outside swaying gently hand in hand to and fro singing....Wait for it ! Silent night. what bloody else !

There's a whole channel devoted to this garbage, starts around October I think. Wife watches it from day 1! Arrgghhhh!

• RMweb Gold

Some relatives went to see Ken Dodd in Wolverhampton a few years back and the show went so over time the management had to interrupt to warn people the car park was about to be locked! I've heard that once he gets into his stride there's no stopping him, you are in for the duration.

Changing tack, there is one thing guaranteed to grind my gears when it comes to famous actors and actresses doing voice over work to keep them in Blue Nun and Bensons, and that's when they pronounce the word "Nuclear" as "Newcolour". I've just been watching a documentary voiced by someone whose name I forget but crops up in dramas from time to time and she was "newcolour"-ing her way throughout the hour. I know it's irrational but, rather like the idiot "train station" nonsense parroted by some presenters, I find it deeply annoying.

Then I go onto Facebook. Suddenly all the newcolour, train stations and similar annoyances seem pretty trivial by comparison.

• Like 3

Dom Lttlewood.

delorean-club-39.jpg

One time car dealer come overnight TV Presenter - I think.

Anyway, I didn't really mind Dom at first - then his whole approach changed as he learned to 'Sing along' and over emphasize his script. Now he's just as annoying to listen to as the worst of 'em !

Another is Nick Knowles who went from hamming it up on DIY SOS  to game shows where, for me, he was even twice annoying by trying to be something he's not and something he never will be. 

He should have stuck to his pick and shovel in the same way that Alan Titmarsh  should have stuck to his pitch fork and, believe it or not, who suddenly appeared on TV just as I was typing this ?

HER !!!!

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by allan downes

• RMweb Premium

Oh. and we mustn't forget him. Gardner become wannabe TV host, Alan Titchmarsh.

Yuk.

alan-titchmarsh-ideal-home-exhibition_35

Funnily enough he was visiting the house over the road the other day.

He is making a programme based there.

By all accounts a very nice chap and very helpful in discussing with the family about how things need to be done.

If I am at home when he comes back I shall try pop over.

I shall tell him you and a couple of others don't like him and will get him to send the lads round to sort you out. :O  :jester: 

Bernard

Dom Lttlewood.

delorean-club-39.jpg

One time car dealer come overnight TV Presenter - I think.

Anyway, I didn't really mind Dom at first - then his whole approach changed as he learned to 'Sing along' and over emphasize his script. Now he's just as annoying to listen to as the worst of 'em !

Another is Nick Knowles who went from hamming it up on DIY SOS  to game shows where, for me, he was even twice annoying by trying to be something he's not and something he never will be. 

He should have stuck to his pick and shovel in the same way that Alan Titmarsh  should have stuck to his pitch fork and, believe it or not, who suddenly appeared on TV just as I was typing this ?

HER !!!!

maxresdefault.jpg

My God that last photo makes my skin crawl - yuck

Jim

• RMweb Gold

David Dickenson.

OKish, until the excitement kicks in then reach for the on/off button.

Allan.

attachicon.gifdavid-dickinson-on-tv.jpgattachicon.gif125877865.jpg

Could we change the title of this thread?

I find it entirely wrong to use the word "hate" in this context. It is the sort of sloppy language that leads to harassment, bullying and violence.

I only know, personally, a few TV presenters. And even they are at the level of nodding acquaintance that does not justify me taking any sort of position as to love or hate (well, maybe one exception but that is more about lust!).

As regards those that I only know through the screen, the "off" button on the remote control is a perfectly serviceable option.

• Like 1

I find it entirely wrong to use the word "hate" in this context. It is the sort of sloppy language that leads to harassment, bullying and violence.

I only know, personally, a few TV presenters. And even they are at the level of nodding acquaintance that does not justify me taking any sort of position as to love or hate (well, maybe one exception but that is more about lust!).

As regards those that I only know through the screen, the "off" button on the remote control is a perfectly serviceable option.

There's varying degrees of "Hate" which, in effect, is a stronger way of expressing your feelings for something or someone without meaning anything really - So I ain't changing nuffink!  :beee:  

In other words, I hate what they do, not who they are which is mainly treating me as an imbecile and getting well and truly overpaid for it.

Agree absolutely - Is there not enough real hatred in the world already, that it has to be extended to somebody on TV we will almost certainly never meet, and who can be dismissed in an instant with the remote control ?

Anyway, I think Harry Hill is brilliant (and for anyone who disagrees, there's only one way to settle it !)

FIGHT!

I think Harry Hill is brilliant. Even more so when you go to a recording and see the bits they can't show.

You know who I really liked when I did that? Philip Schofield. He was hilarious, but what they actually showed of the segment when it was broadcast was pretty dull...

• Like 1

FIGHT!

I think Harry Hill is brilliant. Even more so when you go to a recording and see the bits they can't show.

You know who I really liked when I did that? Philip Schofield. He was hilarious, but what they actually showed of the segment when it was broadcast was pretty dull...

I find Harry Hill about 'as funny as a baby with cancer', as Spike Milligan once described some modern 'comedy'. Edited by Baby Deltic

My problem with most "comedians" is they feel they have to use lots of swear words to make things funny, hence I can't be bothered with the vast majority of them... Having said that it's not just in comedy that applies, it seems that most modern drama and films have been struck by the same disease... 

Edited by Hobby

• RMweb Premium

The ROH has recently put on a new production of Carmen.

It is very "modern" and very much "in your face".

The word hate crops up several times in reviews.

Nothing sloppy about it. That seems to be the modern way the word is used.

It did appear as though the younger and more left wing members of the audience enjoyed it more than the older more to the right faction.

I take it as a sign of how modern and trendy folk are on this forum.

SWMBO and myself although being well to the wrong side of 70 both very much enjoyed it

Bernard