Great Southern Railway (Fictitious) - Looking North

Glad you're happy! I'm thinking I might need to open up to general purpose commissions (including buildings!) on the website. I'll certainly be looking at this method for creating my own buildings.

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 4

On the strength of what you have achieved with this building, you should definitely go for it!! At some point in the future I will be needing some buildings too! ;)

- Alex

That's very kind of you, Alex. As I said to Gary, I'm happy to take on commissions for buildings! Anyway, time to go and do some cutting for my other current commission, a gauge 1 coach... Then I've got an order for some Stroudleys... This is getting surprisingly popular surprisingly quickly!

• Like 1

On the strength of what you have achieved with this building, you should definitely go for it!! At some point in the future I will be needing some buildings too! ;)

- Alex

I may also need some buildings at some point (Hint Hint)

• Like 1

Not surprising at all for those of us seeing your work, it's awesome! I wish I had a LBSCR layout so I could make use of your coaches, and I know one person will never let me forget I said that.... :D

- Alex

You might like my other current commission then... in Gauge 1!

post-793-0-06197700-1532893765_thumb.png

A Midland 54' clerestory coach, being mainly made up in 3mm ply with 1.5mm interior walls and some 0.5mm card beading...

• Like 5

attachicon.gifIMG_20180729_200345295.jpg

Better now, Jim? :onthequiet:

To be pedantic, there shouldn't be a join showing along the top of the ridge.  Ridge tiles would be 'L' shaped in cross section.  Leading would have a round section strip of wood along the top of the ridge underneath the lead, creating a raised piece, and the lead would be in long strips with retaining straps every so often.  https://c8.alamy.com/comp/C5557Y/lead-ridging-on-a-traditinal-roof-C5557Y.jpg  Look at some of the roofs around you.  Whether it would have tiles or lead would depend to some extent on the local tradition or on the style of the company.

Jim 

Edited by Caley Jim

To be pedantic, there shouldn't be a join showing along the top of the ridge. Ridge tiles would be 'L' shaped in cross section. Leading would have a round section strip of wood along the top of the ridge underneath the lead, creating a raised piece, and the lead would be in long strips with retaining straps every so often. https://c8.alamy.com/comp/C5557Y/lead-ridging-on-a-traditinal-roof-C5557Y.jpg Look at some of the roofs around you. Whether it would have tiles or lead would depend to some extent on the local tradition or on the style of the company.

Jim

That's very true, but unfortunately I'm having to work within the limitations of the laser cutter (namely flat sheet material only, and can only engrave one side) - I tried cutting the individual edges and just engraving a fold line (to go on the bottom) but folding it was a nightmare and it fell apart. I thought this was a reasonable compromise! I'm sure Gary can glue some plastic rod in the groove if it bothers him! :P

Unfortunately in Edinburgh, most of the rooves are four stories up or higher as most of the buildings in the city are terraced tenements. This makes closer inspection quite tricky...

You have half length slates at the end. They should be one-and-a-half length.

But otherwise that’s very nice.

Worth knowing, thanks. CAD has been duly updated!

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 1

I must flee from the Men in Umber... I was weak, a fool!

post-793-0-08141300-1532983821_thumb.jpg

But what a beautiful lady she is! Such graceful curves, and the detailing! Inside motion between the frames (which are lined behind the wheels), hinges on the inside of the cab spectacles (picked out in brass), even the nuts holding the tyre onto the wheel centre casting are modelled... I've not fitted any of the detailing parts yet, but will be taking the loco down to the club tomorrow for a test run...

• Like 7

That's very true, but unfortunately I'm having to work within the limitations of the laser cutter (namely flat sheet material only, and can only engrave one side) - I tried cutting the individual edges and just engraving a fold line (to go on the bottom) but folding it was a nightmare and it fell apart. I thought this was a reasonable compromise! I'm sure Gary can glue some plastic rod in the groove if it bothers him! :P

Can't you just cut the double width strip with the laser cutter, then score the back of it down the centre with the back of a craft knife, then fold it?  Does 

Unfortunately in Edinburgh, most of the rooves are four stories up or higher as most of the buildings in the city are terraced tenements. This makes closer inspection quite tricky...

Understood, but I'm sure you can see some outbuildings and there are smaller buildings in the suburbs.  There are also plenty photos on the net.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Wow!  There's no denying that Stirling's single driver engines are things of beauty.  Even NER and NBR aligned as I am I have a Stirling single in my digital trainset box.

• Like 3

I couldn't cut the tiles for the ridge tiles - I tried several variations but found that for strength I had to rely on engraved lines between the tiles for the ridge tiles as there was otherwise very little strength if I didn't want a ridge of unmarked card holding everything together. I wasn't prepared to have individual ridge tiles for this piece - I could make them available if desired so the builder could have the engraved line on the inside of the fold.

As for the half slates vs. 1.5 width slates, at first I thought this had been a classic case of "model what you see, not what you know!" but there are rooves on my walk to work which look slated but have half slates at the end of rows. Whether they're actual slate or some ersatz variety I don't know, but it shows the dangers of relying on the world now to show how things were in the past...

Well!

It's been one hell of a rollercoaster over the past few weeks. I handed in my notice (by post, from London) at my current job last week - those of you who know me personally will know that I'd been increasingly unhappy at my current workplace, and it had got to the point of affecting my mental and physical health for several months. A holiday brought me the clarity (and respite from constant fatigue) I needed to finally bite the bullet and resign. I've managed to get myself a part-time job which should just about pay for the essentials (food, rent, bills etc) and am looking for something else to top up the kitty. I'll have a lot more free time, so I've decided (seeing as I'm already going to be self-employed) I might as well make a go at getting more of these laser-cut kits on the market. Progress should on existing projects should, hopefully, therefore, be a little quicker than it has been over the last few months.

Today was my last day at my current position, and I'm looking forward to a nice trip down to the Isle of Wight to meet up with a few RMWebbers and ride some nice pre-grouping trains. Not particularly looking forward to the overnight bus journey, but it'll be worth it, and there will be photos!

On the plus side, I have a slow but steady stream of commission work coming in for the laser cutter as well as orders for the few kits I've produced so far. Now that I have a little more time to devote to this, I'm hoping I can set up an eBay store and widen my market a little!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I must flee from the Men in Umber... I was weak, a fool!

I think not - you are merely erring towards the one true faith. :)

Resigning even from a job that you don't like is a difficult thing to do, especially if you then are going to do something different.

I hope that your commission work builds up for you and you can make a good go of it.

cheers

Jason

• Like 1

Thanks Jason. Unfortunately things at the current job had gone beyond "don't like" and strayed into the "the boss is actively harming me" territory. I won't go into any more detail than that, nor provide details of where I was working (as I don't want to go even close to anything that could be libellous) but I had reached the point where I was unwilling to continue working there any longer, and even throwing myself at the mercy of the DWP and Job Centre was preferable, and I've had to deal with them before...

Anyway, at least some of my health concerns already seems to be fading away (the constant exhaustion and inability to focus, combined with short-term-memory loss) which is strongly indicative that they were caused by workplace stress. I seem to have a fair amount more energy now, and am feeling much more driven to do things again!

Edited by Skinnylinny

Well, it's been another busy week (and looks like I'll be at the 'lab lasering away into the wee small hours tonight!) with job interviews, part-time work, and going through various paperwork. The prototype model of that brick hut above visited Oak Hill last weekend when I went to the Isle of Wight, meeting up with Gary (BlueLightning) and Alex (AVS1998), as well as getting to meet Matt (of the excellent Bluebell Model Railway). A wonderful day with lots of lovely pre-grouping locos and stock (albeit in grouping an BR liveries), including my first ride in a four-wheeled carriage and my first ride behind a Terrier. One thing that certainly hit home is that while Terriers are small as far as engines go, when you're stood at rail level next to one, they're huge!

While I'm waiting for the laser to do its stuff, I thought I'd upload a few photos from the weekend.

post-793-0-55658200-1533936435_thumb.jpg

post-793-0-33976700-1533936469_thumb.jpg

post-793-0-77122100-1533937030_thumb.jpg

post-793-0-23438000-1533936781_thumb.jpg

post-793-0-56637500-1533937142_thumb.jpg

And the visit to Oak Hill:

post-793-0-15728900-1533937079_thumb.jpg

It fits!

• Like 12

• Trade Member

Cor.... Look at that wonderful layout in the last picture!!!! Just needs a Terrier sitting in the station! :jester:

Can't wait to have my one built and in place permanently!

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 3

It is a lovely layout, and following some work to the electrics it now runs as well as it looks! I'm very much looking forward to seeing more of Oak Hill!

As for this weekend, it's mostly been a quiet weekend in with my partner, although a few hours here and there have produced some CAD files of an LBSCR 8 ton van, mostly to test more tab-and-slot construction.

post-793-0-89420700-1534193927_thumb.jpg

Sadly the only thing the laser seems not to be able to do is rivets, but other than the fact that the card I've used for the strapping is too thick and didn't fold cleanly on the corners (I have some thinner card on the way in the post) I think this has turned out rather nicely. A few of the smaller detail parts have yet to be added (including bearings and axleboxes!), but now that I know the main body fits together I can focus on turning this one into a kit with instructions too. I might experiment with a new style of instructions, seeing if I can get exploded diagrams to work...

post-793-0-57432000-1534193851_thumb.jpg

post-793-0-42719200-1534204905_thumb.jpg

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 5

• Trade Member

It is a lovely layout, and following some work to the electrics it now runs as well as it looks! I'm very much looking forward to seeing more of Oak Hill!

If you go about saying things like that people will want me to upload running videos to my thread!!!! :jester: :jester:

but thanks for the compliment!

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As for this weekend, it's mostly been a quiet weekend in with my partner, although a few hours here and there have produced some CAD files of an LBSCR 8 ton van, mostly to test more tab-and-slot construction.

attachicon.gif8 Ton Van Proto.jpg

Sadly the only thing the laser seems not to be able to do is rivets, but other than the fact that the card I've used for the strapping is too thick and didn't fold cleanly on the corners (I have some thinner card on the way in the post) I think this has turned out rather nicely. A few of the smaller detail parts have yet to be added (including bearings and axleboxes!), but now that I know the main body fits together I can focus on turning this one into a kit with instructions too. I might experiment with a new style of instructions, seeing if I can get exploded diagrams to work...

attachicon.gif8 Ton Van.jpg

attachicon.gif39127089_226635908035799_365437292380160000_n.jpg

This is superb.

Very useful, and I would subscribe to a minimum of 2 so as to have at least one in both pre- and post 1895 livery.

I am impressed that the W Irons are cut out and at the fineness of the brake gear.  

The planking looks spot-on to me. 

I would add one criticism and one request:

- The metal angle plates look too wide - this is noticeably so on the sides and even more pronounced on the ends.  It may be a trick of perspective, of course, but please take it back to the drawing and tell me if I'm right or wrong.

- Could you include a Scotch Brake please?

• Like 1

Edwardian,

I'll definitely be producing a Scotch Brake (single-shoe, long lever) as an alternative, which means an alternative solebar (minus the large V hanger and with a smaller one attached) will be provided. As for the angle plates, I've sent you a PM!

Linny

• Like 1