Hornby 56, time for an anniversary Large Logo 56036?

w124bob

• RMweb Premium

Yep I think you are correct. I remember it appearing on the front cover of Modern Railways , although cant believe it was 40 years ago! Only trouble is because of Hornbys outsourced manufacturing I fear it’s already too late . They can’t just drop it into production

Nice idea.

I'm no grid fan as I'm from dahn sarf.....but I remember looking at a picture of 036 in its revolutionary and newly painted large logo going through burton in Trent. This was one of the diesels nationwide books and I was about 8.

I had no idea what a class 56 was or what a burton on Trent was...

• RMweb Gold

Indeed it was, I remember being shocked on seeing this new “garish” livery that year on 036 at Coalville. Called the short sighted spotters livery as I recall for obvious reasons at the time. The only variation before that was Stratford silver roof 47s and the 47 163/4 Silver jubilee pair.

Still an iconic loco, and one on the detailing pile for this very reason, I have a photo somewhere.

Neil

Indeed it was, I remember being shocked on seeing this new “garish” livery that year on 036 at Coalville. Called the short sighted spotters livery as I recall for obvious reasons at the time. The only variation before that was Stratford silver roof 47s and the 47 163/4 Silver jubilee pair.

Still an iconic loco, and one on the detailing pile for this very reason, I have a photo somewhere.

Neil

Coalville was my home depot, started in '78 just 2 months before 036 entered service. So it's a loco thats personally a bit special to me, great pity it was scrapped considering it's significance.

• RMweb Premium

In an overall blue dominated railway (except for 40106 the last green 40, which I think was just reaching celebrity status at the same time in 1978) this was indeed a real eye opener. I always liked the livery and I think drew inspiration from the DSB livery in Denmark .  For a while it was the only one and I think 56037 etc were out shopped in blue . I don't know when it became standard livery , maybe from 56050 onwards (?) As others have said the only relief from the blue livery was the occasional silver or grey roof on a 47.   I think it was 81 before we saw large logo regularly in Scotland when 47712 Lady Diana Spencer and 47711 Greyfriars Bobby were seen in Large Logo

56036 would have been a nice idea , but the boat is well and truly missed on this one .

Edited by Legend

The rest of the class 56 fleet continued to be delivered in blue for a least another 2 years. Quick search, 083 in blue https://www.flickr.com/photos/67444577@N02/6846106173/in/photolist-9H2svY-fr3Hdf-fqNrTB-dy1JBw-pYFShW-fG4EFn-rZtLuc-dhgbj6-k476RR-bqY5Rk and 084 large logo https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/9472436010/in/photolist-fr3Hdf-fqNrTB

So Hornby almost got it right when they did 084 in LL, and as already stated 040 is not representitive of a 56 from first BR built batch, oh well .

Edited by w124bob