Where is this?

Chris Turnbull

• RMweb Premium

I decided to start scanning some of my black and white photographs and, would you believe it, the first negative I pull out has no description.  It is a bit blurred but am intrigued as to where it might be.  It would have been taken either in the north-east or around Carlisle in 1967.  Does anyone recognise the junction?  A word of warning - it could be back-to-front. 

post-13986-0-23133600-1516808029_thumb.jpg

Chris Turnbull

I am going by the diagram for Carlisle New Yard dated 1963, but there were six tracks at that time, the middle two going to Viaduct Yard, if they were lifted by 1967 then I am sure of my location suggestion.

Edit - Carlilse No3 to Viaduct Goods was closed in August 1965, so I am confident in my suggestion! :-)

Jim

Edited by luckymucklebackit

• RMweb Premium

Looking north from Irish Gate Brow/Caldew Bridge where the A595 crosses the railway it is.  I stayed in a hotel on London Road and walked to Kingmoor taking photos on the way.  This would have been my first but, being blurred, I didn't bother to print it.  Looking at my spotting notes it is possibly 43106 taken on 23rd August 1967.

Many thanks to all who responded.

Chris Turnbull

Edited by Chris Turnbull
  • Like 1

Ye

Looking north from Irish Gate Brow/Caldew Bridge where the A595 crosses the railway it is.  I stayed in a hotel on London Road and walked to Kingmoor taking photos on the way.  This would have been my first but, being blurred, I didn't bother to print it.  Looking at my spotting notes it is possibly 43106 taken on 23rd August 1967.

Many thanks to all who responded.

Chris Turnbull

Agreed. It is heading north on the freight avoiding line. Taken from Caldew bridge. Have taken many shots from there. Castle on right out of site, brewery on left and No. 3 signal box in distance.

@Chris

Hi Chris - makes a change to talk to you on this thread!

I also went to Carlisle on 23rd August 1967, in fact the first loco I noted down after arriving from Newcastle was 43106!

I spent some time at Kingmoor. Not sure I went round the shed but I did take photos from the road bridge and also from the road leading down to the shed. Locos I photographed were 44809, 45421, 92208 and 70013. Here's one of several I took of 44809.

post-24907-0-95036400-1516836148_thumb.jpg

44809 at Kingmoor shed on 23rd August 1967 

How did you get on that day?

Regards

Trevor

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Yes I was!  I also have a photo of 44809 on the turntable on the 23rd as well so I am sure we probably had a chat.  My photos aren't as crisp as yours but I am scanning them albeit slowly and I'll post them asap.

Chris Turnbull

Edited by Chris Turnbull

Fantastic, Chris! I would love to see what you photographed that day.

I also went to Carlisle on Thursday 24th, Friday 25th and Saturday 26th August 1967. The Saturday was the last day of the two regular 'Jubilee' turns over the S&C into Carlisle and I photographed 45562 at the station with loads of spotters around it. Might you be among them?

Back to the Wednesday and after 44809 was turned it went off to Kingmoor Yard and returned with a freight past the loco shed, which I photographed from the other side. Just visible on the road in the right background are two figures - can you spot yourself?

post-24907-0-79461600-1516879212_thumb.jpg

44809 passing Kingmoor shed with a freight on 23rd August 1967. Work on constructing the new diesel depot has started in the foreground

Kind regards

Trevor 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I also went to Carlisle on Thursday 24th, Friday 25th and Saturday 26th August 1967. The Saturday was the last day of the two regular 'Jubilee' turns over the S&C into Carlisle and I photographed 45562 at the station with loads of spotters around it. Might you be among them?

I was there the same days plus Sunday 27th when Sir Nigel Gresley arrived on a special and the shed was thrown open to the public.  I have a photo of 45038 taken on Citadel station on the 26th although I can't remember being there.  My parents and younger brother had joined me on the Saturday and on the Monday we drove to the north-east to see my auntie and where I bunked West Hartlepool shed.

I will scan my Carlisle photos as soon as I can but right now I have to don my Turnbull hunting tartan bow tie and go to a Burn's night supper.  I may be a bit tender in the morning...

Chris Turnbull 

Edited by Chris Turnbull

Back to the Wednesday and after 44809 was turned it went off to Kingmoor Yard and returned with a freight past the loco shed, which I photographed from the other side. Just visible on the road in the right background are two figures - can you spot yourself?

attachicon.gif(328cS) 44809 passing Carlisle Kingmoor MPD 23-08-67 (Trevor Ermel).jpg

44809 passing Kingmoor shed with a freight on 23rd August 1967. Work on constructing the new diesel depot has started in the foreground

Kind regards

Trevor 

Standing near that hut (bottom right) was one of my favourite locations for photographs :)