The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Should I reply to the Debt Management company

Tony Davis

• RMweb Premium

There's no point complaining to the energy ombudsman at this stage - they won't deal with complains until either eight weeks have passed since you submitted your complaint or you have received a "deadlock letter". (https://www.ombudsman-services.org/sectors/energy/raising-a-company-complaint).  They will also have expected you to have worked with the company in an attempt to resolve the problem, which does not seem unreasonable.  The company has now escalated the problem from computers to people and I suggest that you sit back and give them five days to sort it out.  One thing you can be certain about is that they're not going to sue you for £7.41 - it would cost them hundreds of pounds to do so and they wouldn't get it back even if they won.

DT

There's no point complaining to the energy ombudsman at this stage - they won't deal with complains until either eight weeks have passed since you submitted your complaint or you have received a "deadlock letter". (https://www.ombudsman-services.org/sectors/energy/raising-a-company-complaint).  They will also have expected you to have worked with the company in an attempt to resolve the problem, which does not seem unreasonable.  The company has now escalated the problem from computers to people and I suggest that you sit back and give them five days to sort it out.  One thing you can be certain about is that they're not going to sue you for £7.41 - it would cost them hundreds of pounds to do so and they wouldn't get it back even if they won.

DT

DT

The problem has been going on for more than eight weeks !! This is the same problem which has been going on for months which the company has already paid compensation, then made a request to shorten the repayment period (to benefit them) Now they have instructed a debt recovery firm who has already tried to contact the person, and I guess watching the infamous TV program start pressurising not only for the debt amount but associated costs

Let's be quite frank, how long does it take a person to look up files on a computer to cross reference the facts, I guess less than 30 mins. Why have they especially with the previous history even taken 48 hours to get back with an answer, let alone left the OP wanting another 5 days. Escalating the problem to me means this issue has gone up another level of importance, so why is it taking them another 5 days !!

The only crumb of comfort is that this c*** *p is costing the said company far more to resolve that the worth of the fictitious debt. Having said all of this, these utility companies really need to get their act together, this will not happen until it financially hurts them not to

• RMweb Premium

DT

The problem has been going on for more than eight weeks !! This is the same problem which has been going on for months which the company has already paid compensation, then made a request to shorten the repayment period (to benefit them) Now they have instructed a debt recovery firm who has already tried to contact the person, and I guess watching the infamous TV program start pressurising not only for the debt amount but associated costs

Let's be quite frank, how long does it take a person to look up files on a computer to cross reference the facts, I guess less than 30 mins. Why have they especially with the previous history even taken 48 hours to get back with an answer, let alone left the OP wanting another 5 days. Escalating the problem to me means this issue has gone up another level of importance, so why is it taking them another 5 days !!

The only crumb of comfort is that this c*** *p is costing the said company far more to resolve that the worth of the fictitious debt. Having said all of this, these utility companies really need to get their act together, this will not happen until it financially hurts them not to

Sounds like the 'decision maker' is away on holidays or similar.

A major problem in business in Australia for January. It is of course the height of summer here and its impossible to get anything done.

Sounds like the 'decision maker' is away on holidays or similar.

A major problem in business in Australia for January. It is of course the height of summer here and its impossible to get anything done.

Kevin

Why is a decision maker required, should be a very simple accounting procedure

1 Did we make an offer ?

2 Did he accept said offer

3 Was it paid

Hardly advanced accounting !! 

• RMweb Premium

DT

The problem has been going on for more than eight weeks !! This is the same problem which has been going on for months which the company has already paid compensation,

Well, no.  The company has been inefficient in the past and I don't blame the OP for wanting to leave, but this particular problem, ie chasing a debt that doesn't exist, has only been going on since 22nd January and the ombudsman will only be concerned about that.  So however unreasonable it may appear to you and I, it seems that the ombudsman takes the view that eight weeks is a reasonable time to allow the supplier and the customer to resolve a problem.

As I see it, someone at some point failed to enter details of the final settlement into a computer and the computer subsequently organised recovery procedure (I don't think any human being would have instructed a debt collector to chase a debt of £7.41).  The supplier is now trying to check the details and if the company is as inefficient as it seems, I'm afraid that the OP is probably having to take his place in a queue of complaints.  I don't think it's reasonable to expect the company merely to accept what the customer says at face value; unfortunately (and I don't for a moment place the OP into this category) as well as inefficient companies there are dishonest customers and the company is entitled to take a reasonable time to check the situation.  Only four days have passed since the OP received the letter and made his complaint - I don't think that the delay, if any, has yet been unreasonable.

DT

• RMweb Premium

Kevin

Why is a decision maker required, should be a very simple accounting procedure

1 Did we make an offer ?

2 Did he accept said offer

3 Was it paid

Hardly advanced accounting !! 

No its not advanced accounting. But few work places allow underlings to write off funds without higher authority, even if it a 'computer error' - which it isn't..

As an example, if you were 5p short at the supermarket, is the cashier allowed to give you 5p off? More likely that you will have to put something back.

Having read all the responsed here, my own personal feeling range between all of them. As I have previously said, dealing with this particular company has been an absolute nightmare, to the point that I feel like a character in a Kafka novel. 

I will post when further updates are available.

I am beginning to think all the utility companies behave this way if you attempt to leave for another one, because they don't like losing business. 

I switched my dual fuel contract a couple of years ago and I was told by the new company that I needn't worry as they would do all the switching for me. 

My old company started sending me emails telling me how much the balances were, and it turned out that I had a surplus on the electricity but a debit on the gas account. I phoned them up and asked if they could use one to pay off the other. "No problem, we will sort it" they said and promised to credit my bank with the small surplus after all of their efforts, which they did. I had two more emails, one gas and one electricity outlining all the arithmetic; each one saying amount due = £0.00. 

Hooray, I thought, that's all sorted and cancelled next month's direct debit just to be on the safe side (In the past I have had previous insurance companies continuing to take direct debits well after I have switched to someone else). 

Half way through the next month, I get another account email from the old company saying I owe them £35 (or some such, I can't remember the exact amount) and this is 3 weeks after my definite date of switchover letter from the new company. 

I phoned the old company only to be told that the £35 was an "unauthorised direct debit cancelling fee". I spent ages arguing that the account had been switched prior to my cancellation and at least 3 weeks before that next DD was to be paid. In the end, after my threatening to give all details to BBC Watchdog and several national newspapers' consumer columns they decided as a "goodwill gesture" they would waive the £35 fee. 

What??? Needless to say, I will not be entering into any contracts with them ever again. 

• RMweb Premium

I am beginning to think all the utility companies behave this way if you attempt to leave for another one, because they don't like losing business. 

I switched my dual fuel contract a couple of years ago and I was told by the new company that I needn't worry as they would do all the switching for me. 

My old company started sending me emails telling me how much the balances were, and it turned out that I had a surplus on the electricity but a debit on the gas account. I phoned them up and asked if they could use one to pay off the other. "No problem, we will sort it" they said and promised to credit my bank with the small surplus after all of their efforts, which they did. I had two more emails, one gas and one electricity outlining all the arithmetic; each one saying amount due = £0.00. 

Hooray, I thought, that's all sorted and cancelled next month's direct debit just to be on the safe side (In the past I have had previous insurance companies continuing to take direct debits well after I have switched to someone else). 

Half way through the next month, I get another account email from the old company saying I owe them £35 (or some such, I can't remember the exact amount) and this is 3 weeks after my definite date of switchover letter from the new company. 

I phoned the old company only to be told that the £35 was an "unauthorised direct debit cancelling fee". I spent ages arguing that the account had been switched prior to my cancellation and at least 3 weeks before that next DD was to be paid. In the end, after my threatening to give all details to BBC Watchdog and several national newspapers' consumer columns they decided as a "goodwill gesture" they would waive the £35 fee. 

What??? Needless to say, I will not be entering into any contracts with them ever again. 

One never knows whether its deliberate or sheer incompetence!

No its not advanced accounting. But few work places allow underlings to write off funds without higher authority, even if it a 'computer error' - which it isn't..

As an example, if you were 5p short at the supermarket, is the cashier allowed to give you 5p off? More likely that you will have to put something back.

I know of one supermarket and one DIY chain who allow the till operators to adjust prices within a small limit, otherwise all the till operators are instructed to call a supervisor immediately.

Certainly not brain surgery to allow phone operators to pass the call immediately to a supervisor. Called valuing your customers

My monies on deliberate 

The issue is that it needs sorting out, why not do it sooner rather than later, this will certainly save money and you never know save a customer rather than loosing another

Edited by hayfield

• RMweb Premium

My monies on deliberate 

The issue is that it needs sorting out, why not do it sooner rather than later, this will certainly save money and you never know save a customer rather than loosing another

Deliberate over this amount? Seems unlikely. There are exceptions but in general I go with "don't explain by conspiracy that which can be explained by cock-up."

• RMweb Premium

I used to work for one of the household name electricity and gas suppliers and while they treated me well they were notorious for some of the practices they indulged in on the retail side and were dreadful when it came to hounding people. To the point they pushed one poor soul to suicide. The same company was equally notorious for very slow payment to its own suppliers.

The odd thing (or maybe not so odd) was that while their technical staff in the generation and distribution businesses were treated pretty well (I had no complaints) their call centre staff were under constant pressure and subjected to all sorts of carrot & stick mechanisms to hit targets. I found it bizarre that as somebody on a good salary and responsible for quite a large budget, sfety of high hazard systems etc I faced nothing like the pressure and stress of minimum wage call centre staff. We used to go on training courses with people from the retail side and I have to say I'd not recommend those jobs to anybody.

• RMweb Premium

You pay peanuts you get monkeys.

Have the utilities company instructed the debt collectors, or have the debt collectors bought the book of unpaid debts from them?  If the latter, then asking the utility company to rectify their error is probably a waste of your time, as they'll have washed their hands of it. 

No, if the utility company has sold on the "debt", it is still their responsibility to put it right, without further effort (and certainly not having to tolerate harassment) by the OP.  The utility company are at fault and they should do everything to rectify that fault.

• RMweb Gold

No, if the utility company has sold on the "debt", it is still their responsibility to put it right, without further effort (and certainly not having to tolerate harassment) by the OP.  The utility company are at fault and they should do everything to rectify that fault.

Thing is are you saying that from a legal view point that you know as a certainty or are you saying what you believe should be?  It makes a huge difference.  In my opinion and I will state it is that and not knowledge I 'believe' that once sold on the debt belongs to the Company who bought it and as such unless the Utility Company contact them and tell them that it is a mistake and to cancel they will just carry on chasing the debt even though it does not exist.

Knowing how we do how much incompetence there is in these issues these days the likelihood of one company that cannot sort out the matter immediately on the phone actually ringing another company and saying we have made a mistake is slim at best.

My advice from the outset in this thread still stands.  I would have contacted the debt company to tell them the bare facts, inform them that it was being dealt with by the Utility Company and advise them not to contact him further until they had heard from the Utility Company.  I would then be seeking assurance from the Utility company that while they were trying to sort it out that they would indeed contact the Debt company and inform them.  I would also be seeking confirmation of that in writing within 5 working days.

• 2 weeks later...

Do use your option to go to the Ombudsperson(s)

Send a recorded letter to the utility company complaints dept saying that you are doing this and expect them to comply whilst you wish to escalate to the final stage of their complaints procedure.

(they must outline their complaints procedure(s) on website or in writing).

They then have a fixed time to sort it.

This tends to focus their attention markedly as it costs them £400+ a time to go to the ombudsperson.

From what you said I think you can take them to 2 different ombudspersons

As there is a service issue but also a financial issue.(financial ombudsperson)

This would double the cost for them and make it prohibitive to not resolve your issues speedily.

Hope this is useful.

• Like 1

Five days having now passed, I'd be very interested to know if the company has now responded as promised.

DT

They haven't, and as SWMBO has been in hospital with a perforated colon and sepsis, and I haven't heard anything from the debt collectors either, I'm afraid I've rather let it slide. I haven't forgotten the issue though, and will be back onto them if I don't hear anything soonish. Bob's point about the £400 cost wasn't known to me, and does spur me somewhat to raise the issue with the Ombudsman.

Thanks again for all the suggestions

Tony

Thanks Chris, has given me a major scare. Have to thank the NHS for all they did, quickly spotted the Sepsis, got her into hospital quickly and got it under control. When I read about how many go undiagnosed and/or die from Sepsis I was even more grateful.

Thanks Chris, has given me a major scare. Have to thank the NHS for all they did, quickly spotted the Sepsis, got her into hospital quickly and got it under control. When I read about how many go undiagnosed and/or die from Sepsis I was even more grateful.

I recently been treated as an outpatient, NHS is actually wonderful. Treated like a King, nothing but praise for them

Please wish your wife well, hopefully she will be fully recovered soon

I thought you would be lucky to get a reply, all those who said give them time must be very red faced. so much for giving them 5 days, if you gave them 5 years I doubt if they would get back to you. I would write to the chairman quoting the names of both people who failed to get back to you within their specified time and tell him their lax control of the matter has cost his company an extra £400 as you are now forced to go to the ombudsman. I would also take them to the data protection commissionaire for giving false financial information about you to a 3rd party

• RMweb Premium

It's all very well saying go to the ombudsman, but as has been pointed out earlier, the Energy Ombudsman will not accept a complaint until eight weeks have passed from the date the problem was first pointed out to the energy company (https://www.ombudsman-services.org/sectors/energy/raising-a-company-complaint).  In this case that was on 22nd January.  The ombudsman apparently takes the view (which not everyone would share) that eight weeks is a reasonable time for a complaint to be sorted out.

DT

It's all very well saying go to the ombudsman, but as has been pointed out earlier, the Energy Ombudsman will not accept a complaint until eight weeks have passed from the date the problem was first pointed out to the energy company (https://www.ombudsman-services.org/sectors/energy/raising-a-company-complaint).  In this case that was on 22nd January.  The ombudsman apparently takes the view (which not everyone would share) that eight weeks is a reasonable time for a complaint to be sorted out.

DT

That's one out of three ombudsmen that have been suggested, plus there was another view from one poster

These companies should be made to at least give some form of service to their customers, especially when it seems they have totally fouled up. The only way they will comply is if it hurts them in their pockets. Now if the directors were held personally responsible and it hit them in their pockets, would their companies still treat customers like this, or hit the share holders, again I bet the directors would be sorting out the mess their companies make far sooner

• RMweb Gold

I wasn't aware of Sepsis or how bad it is until we stayed at a B & B in Uppingham last year after visiting the Peterborpugh BRM show.    Nice couple who ran it and the bloke Bill Clark wrote and directed a film about a true story involving someone who had sepsis.  I spoke to him about it and was an amazing story.  That film is now seen by quite a lot of NHS staff to raise awareness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfish_(film)

Fingers crossed for you both.