4mm (OO gauge) Shunter variations

Hello, 

Once again I am looking for help, information and advice....

I was hoping to model the following two classes of shunters ...

*    LMSR/English Electric 350hp 0-6-0 Diesel Electric ....

Tops class 11,  BR Numbers 12033 - 12138 

*      SR/English Electric 350hp 0-6-0  Diesel Electric

Tops class 12, BR Numbers  15211 - 15236 

The questions does anyone know if any kits or modeller aids of these two classes in 4mm gauge have ever been available ?

Any information, photos of models of these classes would be greatly received.

Many thanks, Ian  

• 6 years later...

Just a weird stroke of curiosity struck me this afternoon Pacific time and I found this old thread while searching the forums....

Has anyone ever made a 4mm RTR model or the  SR/English Electric 350hp 0-6-0  Diesel Electric shunter in the last 6 years?

I have a hundred  other projects sitting in the to be done pile and my SR collection is otherwise strictly steam. But these engines always interested me. I think there was an ancient Airfix/Kitmaster kit. I guess a recent DCC chassis might fit.  Is that as close as I will ever get?

• Like 1

I just found that thread and it doesn't seem those Heljan 12's are the original Bulleid 1930's engines with the rear that looked like a mini coal bunker that I am looking for. Pre BR diesels...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, autocoach said:

Just a weird stroke of curiosity struck me this afternoon Pacific time and I found this old thread while searching the forums....

Has anyone ever made a 4mm RTR model or the  SR/English Electric 350hp 0-6-0  Diesel Electric shunter in the last 6 years?

I have a hundred  other projects sitting in the to be done pile and my SR collection is otherwise strictly steam. But these engines always interested me. I think there was an ancient Airfix/Kitmaster kit. I guess a recent DCC chassis might fit.  Is that as close as I will ever get?

The Airfix/Kitmaster kit is for what became the Class 08.

If you are looking for the earlier Bulleid/English Electric locos, Golden Arrow do a kit to fit a Bachmann 08

http://www.goldenarrow.me.uk/products.htm#southern

about half way down the page.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Moxy said:

The Airfix/Kitmaster kit is for what became the Class 08.

If you are looking for the earlier Bulleid/English Electric locos, Golden Arrow do a kit to fit a Bachmann 08

http://www.goldenarrow.me.uk/products.htm#southern

about half way down the page.

I think you will find that the Airfix is a model of a class 04. Kitmaster did an 08.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

A little more research on the SRemg.org pages and it was the Maunsell 350 HP shunter that I was looking for.  No wonder I was disappointed  with the class 12 announcement.

Apologies...memory dims as you get older....

My family lived in Penge and I might have seen them at Norwood Jct. before we emigrated to the US at the end of 1949.

Edited by autocoach

yes, the Golden Arrow one is the only option that I know of for the Maunsell 0-6-0 DE. Mine used a Bachmann 08 chassis, but the fit is not perfect (probably down to my workmanship!), and my wasp stripes are a little wonky, but it captures the character well enough.

MaunsellClassD3-12andBRClass08-2.jpg.b900d32f8037159bf6061c1f0a60ff5d.jpg

MaunsellClassD3-12andBRClass08-1.jpg.38464d3f084ad1038439c60b0a368ea6.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, phil_sutters said:
15 hours ago, Moxy said:

I think you will find that the Airfix is a model of a class 04. Kitmaster did an 08

I think you will also find that the 08 (we didn't call them that in those days) plastic kit, while originally produced by Kitmaster, continued in production under the Airfix banner after KM's demise; there were probably a lot more of the Airfix version sold than the KM.  The 04 (we didn't call them that in those days) was, as you rightly say, a purely Airfix model, but is still produced by Dapol Kitmaster in it's current form having been available from several different companies over the years.  The 08 has gone the way of all flesh, as the snows of yesteryear...

I think somebody does a 3D printed Maunsell 350hp body to fit the Hornby or Bachmann 08 chassis, suggest you trawl through Shapeways' wonderfully user-friendly website next time you've got a few days with nothing to do...

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

I think you will also find that the 08 (we didn't call them that in those days) plastic kit, while originally produced by Kitmaster, continued in production under the Airfix banner after KM's demise; there were probably a lot more of the Airfix version sold than the KM.

That's news to me, I've never seen the 08 in Airfix packaging.......

A Kitmaster example came into my possession in the 1960s, courtesy of some Shredded Wheat box tops - the side rods didn't last long and it sat in a siding* on my Tri-ang Super 4 layout until I happened to mention I had it to a modelling acquaintance in the mid-'70s. "I'll have it and put a scratch-built chassis under it." OK then, it's yours (I had a Hornby Dublo model by then anyway). And so he did:

20240903_170557.jpg.40750cea250226c8e21e9ebdadffcfcc.jpg

I painted it, including the wasp stripes, and numbered it as a then Swindon- allocated loco (local to me at the time).

*Of course these days it would have been modified into a snowplough!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Halvarras said:

That's news to me, I've never seen the 08 in Airfix packaging.......

A Kitmaster example came into my possession in the 1960s, courtesy of some Shredded Wheat box tops - the side rods didn't last long and it sat in a siding* on my Tri-ang Super 4 layout until I happened to mention I had it to a modelling acquaintance in the mid-'70s. "I'll have it and put a scratch-built chassis under it." OK then, it's yours (I had a Hornby Dublo model by then anyway). And so he did:

20240903_170557.jpg.40750cea250226c8e21e9ebdadffcfcc.jpg

I painted it, including the wasp stripes, and numbered it as a then Swindon- allocated loco (local to me at the time).

*Of course these days it would have been modified into a snowplough!

I'd like to see an Airfix-produced EE 350hp shunter- but I'm certain that they never existed!

You're thinking of the Airfix Drewry shunter - which DIDN'T originate with Kitmaster.

John Isherwood.

Edited by John Isherwood
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Definitely, but how many can assemble it better than the Hornby or Bachmann rtr version?

Mike.

And make it better than the forthcoming Bachmann 08? 

steve

• Agree 1

On 05/09/2024 at 07:41, Enterprisingwestern said:

Definitely, but how many can assemble it better than the Hornby or Bachmann rtr version?

Mike.

I cannot, but am lucky to know a couple of people who can ....  hence two Modern Outline Kits

Class 08's  should appear relatively soon ,,,,   Will post photos when available ...

Cheers, Ian

• Like 1