TS01 Diesel Shunter kit - Maunsell-inspired 0-4-0

The flywheel and coupling rods arrived today, so I have just spent a few frustrating minutes trying to get the coupling rod screws to bite. I eventually got them threaded but they will have to be shortened a little as they project too far out of the back of the fly cranks. Still, it is progress again.

Next job will be to wire pickups and the motor to test, with a view to adding a decoder once ot all works properly on DC.

I may work on a better way to retain the axles too, and the gear is still binding slightly on the chassis sides, so I'll need to remove a small amount more material from the sides of the gear wheel bosses.

I have reverted to the darker BR express steam blue, after tidying up the bonnet side doors a little. The roof is still unpainted, and needs just a teensy bit more fettling before I will be happy with it.

28953328778_2c62074407_b.jpg
IMG_20180615_170622 by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

41016097860_fdc00c8dc8_b.jpg
IMG_20180615_170543 by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

41925621785_6bd45cc608_b.jpg
IMG_20180615_170523 by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

I have now updated my own test model to the Scale-link worm and gearwheel that the mk2 kit was designed for (i.e. the one available on Shapeways). Here's a quick video of it running - the new gears are 50:1, and there is a smaller flywheel fitted so it's not quite as smooth as it used to be on the old 60:1 set, but far more robust than the old plastic drive gear. Scale-link also do a 60:1 set which I would recommend, I was just using what I had to hand. I still need to adjust the quartering and the conrods to get it to run perfectly, but this isn't bad by any means.

I'm also able to offer the parts in resin now (not from Shapeways), for a better surface finish but is more fragile and requires support material removal which is a bit fiddly. Send me a PM if interested.

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 2

Nice. :)

I still haven't wired mine up, yet. Layout wiring and trouble-shooting has taken some precedence when I have the soldering iron and wire strippers out. Rest assured, I will have mine running eventually too. 

• Like 1