On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 12:36, sem34090 said:

Seaford is happening!

post-33498-0-63811600-1532000203_thumb.jpg

Sems 3D printing enterprise having wrapped up, I've had a crack at Seaford, and here she is, finished within a week, chimney to be printed separately, and to be available initially from Knuckles pending the success of the first print

This first model being a success, I've made a start on another small Brighton tank, this time one of the more gothic variety, no.97s, built by Jones & Potts, Id be rather interested to gauge the interest in these two as well as the future possibility of a backdated Seaford to 1859 condition

IMG_20190224_150022 (1).jpg

lbscr-loco-97s.png

lbscr97s.png

Edited by Killian keane
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Very nice, Sir! You've done them better justice than I would have. :)

I did some work on Locos today.

IMG_20190226_124051.jpg.9342a789cbf2b29b0283499028723c36.jpg

See, I intend my locos to not all be dirty, and my logic with the S15 is that they didn't start out in black, so it's likely mine had only recently been repainted into black. An ex-works finish is very different to the satin finish applied to RTR locos and I think that on a plain black, unlined, loco having the contrast between the shiny boiler and tender, etc, and the matt smokebox, roof, chassis, etc, can look quite effective.

I'm also experimenting with applying gloss varnish to the brightwork on RTR locos to make it actually shine, a different texture to the 'painted metal' around it.

IMG_20190226_124027.jpg.fdbc81ed45c0dc910e01be77f07765bf.jpg

The E4 got a coat of satin varnish as I'd noticed its paintwork has been getting damaged. The varnish also helped to bring out the umber to a richer shade. That loco will be getting heavier weathering, as befitting an umber loco after 1923.

IMG_20190226_124043.jpg.fbbcadbecd3fe332b933e14e1eb40fe6.jpg

The N will be getting a coat of proper Maunsell olive, but WD Olive will serve as a good undercoat.

IMG_20190226_124013.jpg.b3a1e6388c559bbfdecd4aeb121ee858.jpg

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I feel very irritating saying this, but I feel it may be best -Mr Keane- if you start a separate thread for your marvellous CAD doings, as I eventually did after being prodded by a few members!!! My worry is that people may find images of your work and be led to this thread by Google rather than to a dedicated thread containing only your excellent work!

I feel a bit of a killjoy now!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Killian keane said:

Seaford is done and 97s is 90% of the way there, Im fully anticipating it being ready this time tomorrow evening, next Im thinking another small lbscr tank engine , Cravens 0-4-2st nos 11 & 22 of 1855

97s1.png

97s2.png

seafordpic1.png

seafordpic2.png

craven221855.png

I can find room in my heart for both of these, and, very much, for the original condition Seaham.  I could and would find uses for them, and would love to give them a go. In a life full of projects barely begun, however, what tipped me into ordering Turbosnail's single tank, however, was that he had already worked out how to motorise it.  That made it a slightly less speculative purchase.   

• Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I can find room in my heart for both of these, and, very much, for the original condition Seaham.  I could and would find uses for them, and would love to give them a go. In a life full of projects barely begun, however, what tipped me into ordering Turbosnail's single tank, however, was that he had already worked out how to motorise it.  That made it a slightly less speculative purchase.   

yes, knowing it can be made to run is always a plus! XD it is my intention to design some kind of chassis for both of these, Seaford is easier than 97s because of the tanks,  but I digress, I shant clutter up Sems thread any longer, Ill keep discussion on my own work to pms and a dedicated thread when the time comes

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Now, I seem to have begun CAD work again recently, for my own purposes. I mentioned in the SECR 4-6-0 thread that I've now drawn one up. Hopefully the prototype print has arrived with its owner.

Since then I've also drawn up the KESR's Hawthorn Leslie 0-8-0T Hecate, which should fit a Bachmann ROD chassis.

The most recent developments have been thanks to the proprietor of CDC Design, known as L49 on these boards. These have been some shortened District Railway coaches for the Blackstone & Marshland Railway, then this (as a bit of fun):

1028664120_LondonandBlackwall(Modernised)GER.png.2b9403cedf7cbb75c0ed684b2a040909.png.34ef080c2db52f8ff36db8cd036a86bd.png

It's a (very!) freelance Worsdellised (?) London & Blackwall Railway 2-2-2WT, which started out like this:

1996227220_LondonandBlackwall1.png.d9282854cdae4464421b860948329bf3.png.f54e573c57cecc3130d8537a97550ad9.png

I think that any CAD I do for myself that prints alright via a supplier I can sell through, I'll offer it for sale. But I won't be doing much and there's no guarantee of my offering it for sale.

Other work of late has involved more paint, my Hattons Andrew Barclay having now received subtle paintwork modifications to bring it almost in line with my Hornby Peckett.

IMG_20190301_142000.jpg.8f2d6c3808014fca8ee5a97ef2880ba6.jpg

The bicycle isn't permanent...

Ivychurch has gained a temporary, possibly permanent, station building, again courtesy of CDC designs, this being their LCDR Waiting Shelter kit, based on Honor Oak.

IMG_20190227_153817.jpg.319a2e3e07dcc1ebe96c0f3eb6f5c4a4.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see some more of your modelling, Sem.

Which reminds me that I haven't done any for a while now ...

Like the London & Blackwall.  I did once plan a micro based on that neck of the woods.  I doubt I could motorise either that or the little Millwall Extn tank. 

I do like the freelance version.  How will you motorise it?

Finally, that station shelter is very effective. 

• Thanks 1

I also like the 'original' L&B (in the same way that I like the original S&D) and am tempted to build a layout with a few of these and the Millwall Tanks.

To be honest, this was done as a bit of fun with no real intention to motorise it. With regards the original, I shall have to ask the creator.

I think the shelter works quite nicely - Like all the CDC Card kits, it's not pre cut but is a nice simple build that I happily completed in under an hour.

1551261971435.jpg.de074b42b13ae398741874d1cc457798.jpg

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, sem34090 said:

Now, I seem to have begun CAD work again recently, for my own purposes. I mentioned in the SECR 4-6-0 thread that I've now drawn one up. Hopefully the prototype print has arrived with its owner.

Other work of late has involved more paint, my Hattons Andrew Barclay having now received subtle paintwork modifications to bring it almost in line with my Hornby Peckett.

IMG_20190301_142000.jpg.8f2d6c3808014fca8ee5a97ef2880ba6.jpg

The bicycle isn't permanent...

I would be very interested if any of your CAD designs come to full 3D print fruition.

And what nefarious plans does that 25-pounder crew have? They look very suspicious taking cover behind that Andrew Barclay.

• Agree 2

Well with any luck the 4-6-0 has printed well enough for use. Hopefully a post will appear about it at some point, though I don't know when.

I don't know what they're up to - Shall I ask them when I see them on Monday? :P

• Friendly/supportive 3

Now I don't know much about Blackstone & Marshland Railway locomotives, but I'm hoping that room can be found for some Manning Wardle 2-4-0Ts (purchased from the MER) and for some other locos. Here I've taken the Blackwall Tank and rebuilt it in Manning Wardle style - I quite like the result!

image.png.15bae2a71d0ca6d4bbf452525baa8c53.png

Meanwhile, the Manning Wardle 2-4-0T has been adapted into B&MR condition:

image.png.9e67c26d0d5b9fbc4e46851e99417353.png

I think I'll have three of these, so have one or two of them rebuilt and one of them in original condition.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

5 hours ago, sem34090 said:

Now I don't know much about Blackstone & Marshland Railway locomotives, but I'm hoping that room can be found for some Manning Wardle 2-4-0Ts (purchased from the MER) and for some other locos. Here I've taken the Blackwall Tank and rebuilt it in Manning Wardle style - I quite like the result!

image.png.15bae2a71d0ca6d4bbf452525baa8c53.png

Meanwhile, the Manning Wardle 2-4-0T has been adapted into B&MR condition:

image.png.9e67c26d0d5b9fbc4e46851e99417353.png

I think I'll have three of these, so have one or two of them rebuilt and one of them in original condition.

Reminds me of another of Cravens seemingly endless list of locos

Fig-044A.png

• Informative/Useful 2

Definite similarities - I would have to ask permission before releasing these though as they are adapted CADs not purely my own work (indeed very little is my own work) and they are thus far intended for personal use only. Credit for much of the CAD shown above must go to L49 of CDC designs - I have merely used the CAD's he's supplied me with to try and make some interesting locos for my own purposes and enjoyment.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hope Sem won’t mind this, but just to announce the completion of N Gauge and 00 Scale versions of S&DR ‘Tory’ class ‘Derwent’.  The N Gauge version is unpowered (images below), requiring only coupling/connecting rods (akin to my Rocket model) and minor detailing to complete.  The 00 version conversely is designed to fit two motor bogies for operation.  Should only one be wanted (or for static display) then a chassis converter is also available. 

https://www.shapeways.com/product/L7GZ33H3S/n-gauge-derwent-loco-scratch-aid

https://www.shapeways.com/product/KDBHMREZQ/00-scale-derwent-loco-scratch-aid

(Tenders also available separately.)

Various wheel options are also catered for to recreate the distinctive Hackworth style, including 3D-printed examples (in both N and 00) for static use and various paper overlays available free to everyone who purchases the model. 

Hope you like it Sem!  

#IMG_3835.jpg

#IMG_3846.jpg

#IMG_3849.jpg

#IMG_3857.jpg

#IMG_3860.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Thank you for doing such a good job on it Sir - I am now so glad that I gave the project up as what you have achieved there far exceeds what I would have been able to manage. :) 

I shall look to buy one in due course!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not really a workbench update as such as I'm finding that most of my spare time is at weekends and for several reasons, including a desire to retain my sanity and to have something to look forward to at weekends, that time is generally occupied in the main by working platform turns at Medstead & Four Marks.

I have, however, not been idle and club nights of late have seen work resume on Blackstone West (I'll update that thread when there's something interesting to show for myself and the friend who's helping me build it). I've also been on my travels and last weekend took me to glorious Tamworth (Hmm.) and to the Statfold Barn Railway. It's amazing what a huge dose of Narrow Gauge steam can do for oneself, and it certainly did me a world of good to get away for a day and a night.

In railway modelling (well, box-opening) news some of you will be already aware that, due to my selling a Hornby Pacer ( :O ) and several old Hornby terriers I was able to fund the purchase of a new Hornby Terrier (2662, soon to be B662, in SR olive) and a gorgeous Heljan Metropolitan Railway Bo-Bo (No.1, previously John Lyon in LT Wartime Grey) electric. Both are cracking models and the Bo-Bo weighs an absolute ton! As I've said in the Hornby Terrier thread, the cheaper price of the Hornby Terrier over the Rails one is what helped to fund the outstanding Bo-Bo so I guess I can accept its compromises. I may go about modifying it at some stage though, replacing the glazing, perhaps even recessing the tanks, etc. For now, though, here's a video of the two new locos running:

I feel that I must add the caveat that this is not my own layout as such, and that the gorgeous buildings at the back were not built by me but were instead found in a charity shop in the North Camp area of Aldershot (a few years ago now) for sale at £10 for the entire scene. They were duly purchased, but until such a time as I can find a home for them (I'm thinking that they may appear on Blackstone West though I need to double check their suitability of the Rye area) they are sited between Morden Junction and Sutton Road.

Thanks for reading - Figured it was about time I posted something here again! I might have some CAD lined up for next time, but probably not. Real modelling always takes priority, and thee isn't much time for that even currently! :) 

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 7

Well, more news - To start, I've fitted my Hornby T9 (I bought it back in January for -more or less- £5 and since then it's been with a friend to have its motor bracket replaced with a brass one.) with a DCC decoder. Thrilling.

I've reorganised my online stockbook, which very soon will probably need updating again: https://www.snupps.com/sem34090 

The reason for the potential update is this: 

IMG_20190405_131519.jpg

This is what happens when one is bored on a Friday afternoon. The body is from a Wills Finecast TVR U1, the chassis from a Bachmann GCR 8K 2-8-0 with the front pony unscrewed. I think this is actually quite a handsome beast which, with a bit of detailing and a little hacking to remove some material from the inside of the boiler, could turn into quite a nice, fictional, model. Not sure how to describe it - for some reason I was leaning towards 'Yorkshire Engine Co. 0-8-0T' but given the prototypes (The U1s, that is) were Vulcan Foundry products I may have to go with that instead. Either way, I like it and everything lines up pretty nicely! Perhaps the cylinders are a tad too far forward, but besides that I think everything else just about fits.

The next monster to have emerged from the box of bodies and chassis is a Maunsell 2-8-0...

1554467611329-979665793.jpg

Body from a Hornby (1970s) N15, Finecast Urie Tender, Hornby (2001) 8F Chassis. Again, I think it works but I don't really want to hack the chassis about as I want it for a Maunsell Z eventually. Then again, I could always try and find a tender drive Hornby 8F to give up its chassis. I have a Schools tender body to cover the motor, so that could work.

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Now, my dear readers, I have some audience participation for you all! :O 

:P 

It has been brought into question as to how I can justify the above-pictured 0-8-0T on Blackstone West. Now, I don't want any answers to the effect of "Rule One" or "My railway, my rules" - if all else fails I shall use those. But I would like some suggestions as to how this 0-8-0T of hitherto unknown heritage could have ended up at the very Western end of Kent and wearing a black livery (I think black suits it best), thus ruling out the Blackstone & Marshland or KESR as potential owners.

This would be for the period surrounding the grouping, so SER Black has already been discounted I'm afraid. LBSCR Lined Black would work but how on earth would one justify this beast being in LBSCR ownership. I'd also like suggestions as to who might have built the thing!

As many suggestions as possible, please! I'm struggling...

image.png.e71fde430780df4e22987702d9223779.png

• Friendly/supportive 1