Well the prototype is taking shape:

IMG_20190202_140107.jpg

My first thought is that it needs some smaller wheels to bring the overall height, and the buffer height, down to somewhere nearer the Peckett. And I made a bit of a c*ck up with the sides, but this is more of a proof of concept than anything else. The proper vehicles will most likely use fresh Ratio sides (They can be bought separately) and fresh Ratio wagon chassis.

This is a Third and sort of demonstrates why the Hornby 4-wheelers are too long...

I think I'll have a pair of brakes (Possibly a Brake Third and a Full-Brake) then a pair of Thirds, a First and a Composite, just to allow things to be varied and changed a bit. Maybe I won't have a Composite though. The full brake will probably be based off of the one done by Martin elsewhere on this forum.

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 6

So, I need a name for this layout in its British format, and some ideas for scenery.

Flooding is one suggestion, but I need to know what's underneath the water!

Any ideas? The only thing confirmed so far is that there will be a small station with a ground-level platform. This latter is to permit continental stock later on.

• RMweb Gold

Swindale Sidings has a nice ring to it :)

Sem - I really like the idea of the layout depicting a scene during a flood - perhaps with some half-submerged fence posts, bushes or trees sticking out and gradually dipping under the water level?

Reminds me a little of the flooded tramway in Spirited Away.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

It's certainly something worth considering, but I'm thinking more "immediately after heavy rainfall" rather than the all-out flooding shown in the Castle Aching thread - More a series of large puddles than complete flooding? The reason being that I don't really want to submerge the track as that could cause all manner of problems.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, sem34090 said:

So, I need a name for this layout in its British format, and some ideas for scenery.

Flooding is one suggestion, but I need to know what's underneath the water!

Any ideas? The only thing confirmed so far is that there will be a small station with a ground-level platform. This latter is to permit continental stock later on.

Sometimes it's best not to know Sem.

HI0IZMV.jpg

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

Well a name has been reached! Trawling back through a few threads reminded me of the (imagined!) existence of the Blackstone & Marshland Railway, a somewhat bizarre company operating in exactly the area I needed. As such the layout has become Ivychurch at the end of a branch from Burmarsh:

image.png.dad3aec9a8449eb4a24101e56b4546ff.png

Blackstone occupies the site of Jury's Gap.

As far as I know the Blackstone & Marshland coach livery is black and cream, so the coaches will be finished in that livery.

I may eventually get a few more sets done, including one in SR olive.

• Like 3

Sorry. I had a spate of DaftEnglishVillageNameDiarrhea.

Pogworthy

Basterton

Spytting in the Vale

Upper Nosethripple

Slagmound

Coleford Digging

Thrapston (oh, that's a real place)

Sporkton

Threbby

Having now mentally created enough railway stations for a dozen Ahern-Hancock empires, I'll stop now and go sit on the sofa by the fire to nurse the last of my second [large] G&T of the evening...

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Sometimes the concept of multi-quoting makes my sleepy little brain go 'tilt'.  But I will try to remember in future.

Edited by Annie
not sure
  • Friendly/supportive 1