What's BR Blue? Is that what you call that horrible livery on that 'XP64' set they've just introduced? And I can't stand those horrible diesel things - we should be glad that we've these nice new BR Standards to carry the flag for steam through until at least the 1980s...

As for blue, I'm not adverse to its current appearance on the Scottish Region...

I have to say, I always rather enjoy Tom Scott's videos on Youtube - they're well-thought-out and interesting and I usually end up learning something I would never have researched! I can also highly recommend his videos "Internationalising Code" (for which you don't need to be a programmer to understand it) and The Problem with Time & Timezones to give a good feel for what might, on the surface, seem like simple problems but have layers of complexity just under the surface.

xnopyt. That is all.

What's BR Blue? Is that what you call that horrible livery on that 'XP64' set they've just introduced? And I can't stand those horrible diesel things - we should be glad that we've these nice new BR Standards to carry the flag for steam through until at least the 1980s...

As for blue, I'm not adverse to its current appearance on the Scottish Region...

Just paint everything Caley Blue and have it done with :P
  • Like 1

Indeed! 

Incidentally, that is worryingly on-topic, I believe... If the topic is what I vaguely recall it being, which is pre-grouping railways!

I'm hoping to get my mits on one of the recent (2010?) edition Hornby CR 123's soon, because of the better decoration and DCC Socket, both pluses over the Triang edition. Still, it may be some time until I get one.

So, what are we all hoping for on December 25th, if indeed you celebrate that day! I'm not entirely sure, but my Hattons wishlist is really rather too long. I think a Bachmann H1 would be nice, but probably useless for Blackstone West. An SR Black C Class would be nice, as would an SR or maybe BR liveried E4. Nicer still would be a full-Wainwright C, but that is unlikely. Some kits would be good, or even (even) a 3D printer at a stretch. Oh well... I've put the mockers on any of those appearing now!!!

And I can't stand those horrible diesel things - we should be glad that we've these nice new BR Standards to carry the flag for steam through until at least the 1980s...

Not even ficticious Maunsell SR ones?

I had a Wainwright C on pre-order, then cancelled it as I thought I wouldn't need one. By the time I came to my senses, they'd sold out so now I have an SR black one instead. If I'd kept that pre-order, I would have been able to sell it and buy two of the SR ones!

post-25124-0-05413900-1542111352.jpg

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 3

Alright, my rule with the 'interestingness' of rolling stock...

1.) If it has a whistle, not a horn, it's interesting.

2.) That's it.

So that nicely includes Southern Electrics, LU Stock, Early Diesels and Petrols and 90%< of steam locos!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Not even ficticious Maunsell SR ones?

I had a Wainwright C on pre-order, then cancelled it as I thought I wouldn't need one. By the time I came to my senses, they'd sold out so now I have an SR black one instead. If I'd kept that pre-order, I would have been able to sell it and buy two of the SR ones!

attachicon.gifpost-25124-0-94056000-1522232712_thumb.jpg

However, SE Finecast make a C and therefore do a transfer set for it available separately.

So,

Your SR Black C + your can of green paint + SE Finecast C Class transfers = a fully lined C Class at much less than the circa £300 the Bachmann ones sell for on the Bay of Fleas.

Simples

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Returning to Dyke, I am a fan of using Brou de Noix for staining wood (including sleepers of home made track (just to keep fully on topic).  Frequently I am asked what the *** is Brou de Noix and I have to explain that it is a natural colouring based on walnut husks and is the basis for Van Dyke brown.  I have lost count of the number of times that forum automatic sensors cut out the word.  I now generally describe it as Van D y k e brown - which so far works.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, but I prefer the simplified green!

Though I suppose my GBL one could go into grey. But it's more useful to me in BR Black. My logic is that not all C's would have been put into grey in 1915 itself.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, but I prefer the simplified green!

Though I suppose my GBL one could go into grey. But it's more useful to me in BR Black. My logic is that not all C's would have been put into grey in 1915 itself.

Depends the year you want.  Locos were repainted every 3 years as a rule. That might well have slacked off during the war, but logically you would expect all SE&CR locos to be in grey by the end of the war. I would be interested to know if there are any reliably dated photographs of SE&CR locos in green post war.  I have yet to see one.   

I agree with that, but as far as the SECR is concerned, the year modelled is 1915 itself, no earlier, no later. The next years to be modelled are 1923 - 1927, then 1930 - 1940, 1947 - 1960 and possibly (subject to a final decision) 1960 - 2018 under 'preservation'. Prior to 1915 is LBSCR only.

Speaking of blue earlier...

My music tastes may be unconventional (and can be found here),but give me that over almost any of the pieces my peers as a whole listen to. There seems to be a strange  Beatles resurgence on occasion though... 

How's about a discussion about music until that returns to Castle Aching? What are everyone's tastes? I'm just curious - I've posted enough about my music tastes, I'd be interested to hear what else people around here listen to. I know what it is for a couple of you...

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 1

Returning to Dyke, I am a fan of using Brou de Noix for staining wood (including sleepers of home made track (just to keep fully on topic).  Frequently I am asked what the *** is Brou de Noix and I have to explain that it is a natural colouring based on walnut husks and is the basis for Van Dyke brown.  I have lost count of the number of times that forum automatic sensors cut out the word.  I now generally describe it as Van D y k e brown - which so far works.

A certain North of England Brass Band had something of a problem with their publicity a few years back when they went on a tour of North America!

Jim

I'm hoping to get my mits on one of the recent (2010?) edition Hornby CR 123's soon, because of the better decoration and DCC Socket, both pluses over the Triang edition. Still, it may be some time until I get one.

In the meantime you will soon be able to get one of these, the subject  of which I rode behind a week past on Saturday!

Jim

What are everyone's tastes? I'm just curious - I've posted enough about my music tastes, I'd be interested to hear what else people around here listen to. I know what it is for a couple of you...

i personally tend towards Classical, especially the Baroque period.  I'll also listen to a good (even an average) pipe band all day long!

Jim

A certain North of England Brass Band had something of a problem with their publicity a few years back when they went on a tour of North America!

Jim

I didn't think of that one! Given I love that particular band I should have thought of it.

Anything I can (attempt) to sing or dance to usually works. But I'll listen to most anything. This morning I was listening to early 2000s pop, namely Supergirl by Krystal and Miracles by Myra, but then migrated to love ballads and finished my walk back home with some good ol' fashioned show tunes.

Watching Glee (Yes, I am binge watching it again. Yes, I am still doing my university work!) again is making me miss my performance years, where I was a member of a youth theatre/show choir. Ah... I can't sing for toffee, but then I suppose that would be my one 'wish', so to speak, to have proper singing lessons and carry a tune better than I do now. Learning an instrument would be fun. I'm always envious of those who produce music. I've got a fair few friends who are musical artists, one of whom produces 80s-esque synthpop, another creates Drum and Bass (REALLY not your bag, Sem!) and it's just amazing to me to watch anyone produce music in any format, digital or with a literal instrument. 

Sigh. One day, maybe, I'll learn to play.

I sometimes like to pretend that I can sing... more regularly (thrice a week!) I like to pretend that I can play the Euphonium with a degree of proficiency!

And just because my usual rule is 'pre-1970', there are many exceptions! I'll listen to most things, though whether I'll enjoy listening to them is a different matter entirely...

And I can't see why I wouldn't like a drum and one of these:

TubaBessonSovEEba-1200x755.jpg

Though I suspect that isn't quite what you meant! ;)

And, Alex, if I can claim to be able to play an instrument in two and a half bands, then I'm sure a woman of your ability and intelligence is more than able to actually be able to! (Grammar!!! This is what happens when you feel unwell and have only just woken up... :( )

Edited by sem34090

Good news everyone! Especially James...

Now, 'Derwent' isn't going to be on sale in resin any time soon. I need to find a suitable supplier to sell through, as I am currently unable to process orders myself. I can't even order the prints and sell them on currently. However... the now-slightly-adapted loco portion of 'Derwent' is soon to be available. I am also going to look at using the CAD I did for the wheels and the motion to produce a static version in both N and 00. I am working on working motion today. After many setbacks, some quite recent, I hope to have the loco portion on open sale on shapeways, in what used to be called WSF and FUD, by the end of the week.

Alright, so not exactly 'Derwent', but this is now on sale:

preview.jpg

https://i.materialise.com/en/shop/item/lnwr-jubilee-class-4-4-0-in-4mm-scale

Some of you may remember it. It is by no means perfect, and requires some amount of fettling before it will work on the intended chassis, but I have built a successful working model from it that conveys a decent model of the prototype. In case anyone is wondering about the price, that comes from my adding a 25% markup. I don't expect to sell many, it's not the best model, but if I'm going to offer it for sale then I might as well try and make some money from it.  And I don't think the price is exorbitant. 

• 2 weeks later...

Once again I've not managed to keep my word. Derwent needs a few more things doing to it and the tenders making, still.

In other news, I just found these in a draw:

post-33498-0-96207200-1543431395_thumb.jpg

There's another Triang Caledonian coach downstairs. Any suggestions as to what I could do with this little lot?