Bachmann announcements 2018 - full list

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Check out a Clark's outlet shop. The one in Torquay regularly sells really good shoes for half price. 

I have boy-size tootsies (6 or 6 1/2) and the Clark's shops hardly ever have anything for me in the sales, :crazy:   but their website does............ :sungum:

I went a bit mad back in the autumn and shouldn't need any more for at least five years. :jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Hornby has been accused of the same thing in the past. Neither Bachmann, Hornby nor other manufacturers can really be expected to know which models that they have sold out of are still available from retailers, so they tend to omit them from catalogues so the likes of us as customers don't get disappointed, annoyed (choose your own adjective) because something in a "new" catalogue is not actually available.

Where this argument falls down of course is for those models that B/H/etc. have sold out to pre-order, but which have not yet been released. There seems to me to be no reason why these shouldn't be included in the catalogue because it will be available from retailers in due course. Indeed the retailers arguably have a right to complain if they are not because omitting them might depress pre-orders/sales from them because their customers don't know from the catalogue that the model even exists.

Perhaps in the case of the COLAS locos, Bachmann expected them to have been delivered to retailers - and potentially sold out - by the time the catalogue was released.

Highly unlikely the Colas 37 'Merl Evans' has sold out on pre-order let alone the Colas 70???

I need to make some phone calls including one to Bachmann unless anyone can shed some light on this in the meantime.

I'll see what I can get out of Rails/Hattons & Bachmann on these two loco's.

Edit: Spoke to Bachmann and yes both Colas Class 37 '37099' (June) & Colas Class 70 '70805' (March) are being released this year but they couldn't say why they have been omitted from the catalogue, they are still available to pre-order from model railway retailers.

Edited by classy52

Nothing for pre-war SR modellers. But the Hunslets look strangely tempting.

Forget WW2, Heck there was almost next to nothing for anyone modelling pre 1946 Southern let alone pre war, very BR heavy from both Bachmann & Hornby this year, but am very much looking forward to the Southern H2, and still waiting on Hornby's Southern H :) , meanwhile Oxford have got me very excited with their rail gun they've just announced...

Edit: hopefully it is not going to be £245 ;)

Edited by GreenGiraffe22

• RMweb Premium

Certainly an impressive catalogue .  Looking at the limited announcements you forget the huge range they have .

Curiously the LBSCR and GNR Atlantics are priced £10 higher than their grouping equivalents @£199.95. The LNER C1 is £189.95 which I think is the price I paid from Locomotion

90s @ £179.95

2 car 158 £259.95

2 car FGA freightliner £99.95

DBSO £79.95

The 170s are TBA which presumably means some way from launch

Some really nice stuff in there, but at these prices I think future purchases , if any, will be few.  The DBSO still takes my fancy , just don't need all the DCC gubbins (I run electronic track cleaners). I'm hoping that release will see some old converted Airfix ones turn up on eBay

• RMweb Gold

Check out a Clark's outlet shop. The one in Torquay regularly sells really good shoes for half price. 

And Clark's retail shops - I haven't aid full price for a pair of shoes from one of them for several years past (and the pair I did buy at full price were only because I preferred them to those which had been reduced). My mobile 'phone cost well under £100 and i just top it up every now and again so the monthly cost of it is less than a fiver,  somewhat cheaper than all these smart 'phone things some of which cost more for one month than my 'phone cost to buy.  

All a matter of horses for courses and where you are in your life - young, single and employed and you'll probably have cash to spare; married with a couple of children and only one of the parents working and you'll no doubt be very tight for cash unless things have changed since we were in that state; older and mortgage cleared plus reasonable income or pension and you might well be back to having a greater disposable income.   Variable disposable income over your life cycle has probably always been a fact of everyday life and in many respects I can't ever see that changing

• Like 1

Forget WW2, Heck there was almost next to nothing for anyone modelling pre 1946 Southern let alone pre war, very BR heavy from both Bachmann & Hornby this year, but am very much looking forward to the Southern H2, and still waiting on Hornby's Southern H :) , meanwhile Oxford have got me very excited with their rail gun they've just announced...

Edit: hopefully it is not going to be £245 ;)

You have three of the four digits right :locomotive: ::pre order price at Hatton's 42,50

Edited by Cor-onGRT4

The promise of two LBSCR Atlantics, which will inevitably appear in olive in due course if not this year, is "nothing"?

OK, nothing new.

I already have the H2 'South Foreland' on pre-order from 2013(ish, when it was 'St Albans Head') and, as you note, the announced H1 is currently for pre-grouping.

I'll stump up for a H1 when, almost inevitably, comes out in olive green. But that will be a future Bachmann announcement, no doubt.

am very much looking forward to the Southern H2

As am I, since I've had it on order for five years. That means it's not a new announcement. And the new H1 is, essentially, a retooling of the H2. Nowt wrong in that, and I applaud Bachmann.

But it doesn't mean, AFAIK, two announcements for SR this year. Rather, since the H2 this year is the realisation of a five-year old announcement, and the H1 is pre-grouping, there are in fact no new pre-war SR announcements.

Highly unlikely the Colas 37 'Merl Evans' has sold out on pre-order let alone the Colas 70???

I need to make some phone calls including one to Bachmann unless anyone can shed some light on this in the meantime.

I'll see what I can get out of Rails/Hattons & Bachmann on these two loco's.

Edit: Spoke to Bachmann and yes both Colas Class 37 '37099' (June) & Colas Class 70 '70805' (March) are being released this year but they couldn't say why they have been omitted from the catalogue, they are still available to pre-order from model railway retailers.

I do hope there are some left at Bachmann so we can top up our original pre-order come June. Buoyant sales of wee 37099 factors very highly in my 2018 fundraising plans to support 37003! Much as wee 'Mary' was the star model of 2017 for us, and put a lot of new bits on the shelf ready for refitting soon.

Lots of good stuff in the pipeline for this year, and I hope we can be of service to as many of you as possible.

Martin

www.c37lg.co.uk

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I quite like the Mill unit in the catalogue. To build the unit pictured would require 8 models @£34.95 . That makes it dearer than the crane @£249 .Oh well.......back to Metcalfe .

• RMweb Gold

Curiously the LBSCR and GNR Atlantics are priced £10 higher than their grouping equivalents @£199.95.

I suspect that's simply the pre-Grouping L'Oreal effect

(because we're worth it)

Very good news from Bachmann for 2018 - something for most of us, I would have thought.

• RMweb Gold

Certainly an impressive catalogue .  Looking at the limited announcements you forget the huge range they have .

Curiously the LBSCR and GNR Atlantics are priced £10 higher than their grouping equivalents @£199.95. The LNER C1 is £189.95 which I think is the price I paid from Locomotion

I'd think the reason is self evident.

More complex liveries need a couple of extra passes through the printing process, which pushes up the cost of production and leads to an increased rejection rate, which pushes it up a bit more. 

John

• Like 1

Why has the ATW 150's RRP gone up so much?!?!?!?! 30% increase!!! Was going to buy that too! Out of reach for me now :-(

If you're talking about 32-939DS then Derails & Rails have a pre-order price of £229 with free postage if that helps, must admit the prices vary wildly on the web but these two seem to be offering a decent price considering it comes with DCC Sound.

Here are the links;

http://www.derails.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1661

https://railsofsheffield.com/class-150-2-150236-arriva-trains-wales-2013-livery-JJJA30625

Edited by classy52

I do hope there are some left at Bachmann so we can top up our original pre-order come June. 

I fear you may be disappointed Martin; see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/130437-Bachmann-class-37-merl-evans-colas-rail/&do=findComment&comment=3014678

All stock sold at Bachmann and I know several retailers have had their allocations pre-ordered by their customers; it looks to be a very popular release.

I fear you may be disappointed Martin; see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/130437-Bachmann-class-37-merl-evans-colas-rail/&do=findComment&comment=3014678

All stock sold at Bachmann and I know several retailers have had their allocations pre-ordered by their customers; it looks to be a very popular release.

Hey Ho, thanks for that Andy. Back to the drawing board and no doubt more weekends spent on windswept preserved railway platforms selling our wares!

• Like 1