Bachmann announcements 2018 - full list

Andy Y

Terrific the WR blue-grey pullman the only version I saw in service. I will have to start saving for sure.

Glad to hear about the retooled class 25s too, the big question being what will SLW be doing in the future?

It all depends on the fidelity of the Bachmann tooling of course, as it will need to compete with SLW if they go ahead. I have over ten Bachmann 25s already, I hope they do a run of chassis units although I doubt it. I guess the new tooling may give some impetus to chassis modding the rest of the fleet.

Neil

I think the new 25 will be from a different planet to the old one. It is leveraging off of the work on the later 24/1.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Re Bulleids and the coach listings on SEMG, so sets 790 and 847 are formed as such of diagrams for quite a few of the sets that would have appeared in Bournemouth, so that's good :)

Re them not being in BR(S) green, that's fine, they'll have to do them in that livery eventually if they want to make a decent profit so I can hang on.

Re pensioning off my older ones, I'll reserve judgement on that until I see the new ones as Bachmann like their moulded handrails, etc, so I might be ok with the two toolings sitting alongside each other, especially if I can do some work on the older coaches to give them flush glazing.

The 3-set 790 in SR Malachite entered traffic in October 1947, so less than 3 months before the demise of the Southern Railway.  No doubt it remained in Malachite for a while but how long did it keep its Southern markings? Hence my slight disappointment that there's no 3-set available in BR green - yet. 

And please - all Southern fans - it's Bullei​d and not Bullied.  :)

Edited by RFS
  • Agree 1

The 3-set 790 in SR Malachite entered traffic in October 1947, so less than 3 months before the demise of the Southern Railway.  No doubt it remained in Malachite for a while but how long did it keep its Southern markings? Hence my slight disappointment that there's no 3-set available in BR green - yet. 

And please - all Southern fans - it's Bullei​d and not Bullied.  :)

But try telling the spellchecker either on here or everybody's computer that... ;)

It keeps changing it to Bullied when you aren't looking.

As for the malachite Bulleids then I would hazard a guess that they stayed like that and just got a varnishing and change of identity (numbers, etc.). No idea of dates though, and I haven't got any of the Bulleid coach books to look up details.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

Puts a dual powered 14 car APT into perspective at £1000...

30-420

Bachmann Branchline[/size]Western Pullman train set with Class 251 Blue Pullman in revised livery with DCC sound and DCC Railcontroller[/size]OO Gauge (1:76 Scale)[/size]£807.46[/size]

The m.r.p. for the Western Pullman set is £949.95

The £1000 train set is almost here.

:(

• RMweb Gold

A few late grouping and early BR wagons suitable for me, but most of these will be impulse purchases rather than planned, especially if they have numbers different or livery variations from those I already own,

Bit disappointed to see no further development on the 94xx front; I would really appreciate a firm date on this, even if it's 5 years away, for planning purposes.  OTOH, I have another untrammelled period of moaning about it; I don't get out much and this sort of thing is important to me...

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann commented today on the challenges with spell checkers etc regarding Bulleid.

All that's needed is to type it in a Word or other WP document and add it to dictionary when it queries your spelling.

After that, it will take it as you type it.

John

Welcoming some BR Bullieds but whether I buy any depends on the big question, how much?  Anything over forty notes a piece and I will be holding off for later batches not selling as well and discounting.  I'm patient, I can wait!!

I have just returned after my bone of banana soup and read this.  What a truly inspiring post....

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

I was very kindly invited to the launch event today, which was a presentation by Bachmann at a venue in the Midlands. There were two parts: a briefing for 'the press' which included Andy York, representatives from several magazines and from the Wishlist Poll Team (which is why I was there); and a launch for the traders, which covered all the various ranges that Bachmann do including non-railway stuff. One thing that did surprise me a bit was that some of the main magazines were not represented, so far as I could see but I understand that there will be several more briefings in different places over the next few days and I expect the other magazines will be represented there.

A memory stick with photos was handed out to some people but I had no need for one. 

Samples of some forthcoming products were on display. My first impressions on seeing Mark IIf stock liveried examples is that they have got them right. It's very hard to tell on an un-liveried one but the blue/grey TSO looked good to me. They also had liveried samples of the 'Grey Pullman' in both 00 and N-gauge, again looking good.

As for my own list, I'm very pleased to see a new 25 on the way. I understand that the tooling is being designed to cover lots of variants. I'm also pleased to see the 40 in green with discs and not with DCC sound, unlike the previous release. I also welcome the news that the BR green V2 will be a single chimney version. Not sure if it's evident from other posts but the tooling will be designed to cover different variants on both engine and tender.

I would have liked to have seen maroon Thompson stock. This was not mentioned. However, I suspect this year's targets are to get the maroon porthole stock out (announced last year) and the mock teak Thompson stock.

A message I picked up was that they are doing more work on planning, design and in some cases tooling in advance of announcing things, so the delay between announcement and model appearing should reduce.

Overall, it was a good event presented in a positive and constructive manner.

They even made use of one of my photo collection in their briefing:

8534295303_c0fcabf766_b.jpgBlue-Pull_Plymouth2 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Many thanks Robert

Re post 26 back up the thread - was there any clarity about two different body shells if they go ahead with the 25s as announced?

Cheers

Phil

I think the new 25 will be from a different planet to the old one. It is leveraging off of the work on the later 24/1.

There is the small caveat that we have not yet seen the new 24/1.... The Bachmann drivetrain used in the existing 24/25 is excellent but the rest needs complete replacement and needs to be better than the SlW offering for me to go back to Bachmann for future class 24 and class 25 purchases.

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Andy for posting the list. It's very much appreciated. 

Very interesting. None of the following which I expected to be announced...

• 37175/37219 in Colas livery with handrails
  • 254 in Colas livery with new logos, plaques etc
  • WCRC domino headcode Class 37
  • Any further DRS Class 37s 
  • DRS & Europhoenix Class 37/6s
  • 47501/805 in BR Green
  • 47749 in Colas
  • 47812/815 with ROG lettering
  • 47813 in ROG livery
  • 47818, 828, 841 in DRS Compass 
  • Freightliner 47830
  • G&W Branded Freightliner Class 66
  • Original Freightliner liveried Class 66
  • DB Red Class 66
  • Revised GBRF liveried Class 66

Obviously not all of the above locos/liveries would be popular as mainstream catalogue items but I am surprised that none of the Class 47s have been announced as Limited Editions. Unless their are going to be more retailer Limited Edition Class 47s announced, which could be a possibility. 

I suspect that with several Class 66s appearing in the last couple of years as standard catalogue models and Limited Editions that Bachmann have decided not to announce anymore as the market has already been flooded. In one way I am pleased about this as in my opinion far too many Class 66s have been appearing but on the other hand I am shocked that not one has been announced in the 2018 range. We seem to have gone from one extreme to the other...

Probably the only item I definitely want to buy from the new announcement is the new Northern liveried 150275. 

Very nice to see new and improved tooling for several DMUs. 

Very pleased in respect of my wallet because far too much has been announced in the past couple of years for me. My wallet will finally get a reprieve. 

• Like 1

Having checked the Hattons website Bachmann releases there is a mismatch with what is quoted as 32-340 25060. The Hattons webpage shows a BFYE "late" class 25 with the deep middle windscreen, which certainly isn't  25060. The image does however match the same bodyshell as 32-341 D5282 which is the other named Bachmann release. It would make sense for one bodyshell design to be released before the other I guess.      

Many thanks Robert

Re post 26 back up the thread - was there any clarity about two different body shells if they go ahead with the 25s as announced?

Cheers

Phil

Yes, I asked that as soon as they mentioned the 25. They are doing both the main types to cover the 25/1 and the late-body style 25/2 plus their flexible tooling will enable variants to be covered. The impression I gained was that they are designing things to cover lots of potential variants.

• Like 2

I wonder what those 'Parrot' wagons are? The ones I know of were built during WW2 to transport aircraft components, and subsequently found use as cable-drum carriers. I can't think how you would load them with a tank; at least not if you wanted to get it out again.

true or even completely bend the wagon in half ........................... :O

Having checked the Hattons website Bachmann releases there is a mismatch with what is quoted as 32-340 25060. The Hattons webpage shows a BFYE "late" class 25 with the deep middle windscreen, which certainly isn't  25060. The image does however match the same bodyshell as 32-341 D5282 which is the other named Bachmann release. It would make sense for one bodyshell design to be released before the other I guess.      

I have the catalogue. 25 060 is early body style (prototype image shown) and D5282 is later body style (prototype image shown).

So, something that looks like this:

4212004830_6093330cf6_z.jpg?zz=125056_Doncaster_7-7-81 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

And something that looks like this:

2172922522_24b14bd30f_z.jpg?zz=1D5289_Derby_25-6-67_m by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

And hopefully, over the next decade, lots more variations in terms of boiler compartment grille or no grille, early or late exhaust, on the older one end doors or welded up etc.

• Like 1