Bachmann announcements 2018 - full list

Andy Y

I'm genuinely curious why there's another GCR-liveried Director on the list.  "Mons" has literally just come out (December 2017), I'd imagine anyone who wants a GC-liveried Director either has one of those, or Butler Henderson. 

Perhaps they did a double run of GCR livery Directors for Mons making the most of the set-up,finishing half as Mons and so now only need to name and number the remaining ones?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Lots of nice Bullied coaches,

WR Pullman will be well out of many peoples range price wise

Looks like the field has bee left clear for Hornby to do the Lord Nelson

Slightly underwhelmed by Bachmanns programme, but I am sure there will be plenty of takers.

The named std 5 is interesting though.

Wickham Trolley in green. As I successfully predicted. I will allow myself the brief luxury of feeling slightly smug :)

BR fruit vans. Will go well with the Rapido J70. Add some LNER fruit vans, from the existing Bachmann range, plus some coal wagons, and you've got all you need for an authentic W&U train.

• Like 1

Not sure about this list being thin for new tooling

I spotted two brand new retools of class 25s amongst the list.

D5282 and 25060 are presumably a "late" 25/1 in two tone green and an "early"  boilered 25/1 in blue, although they as shown as based on the 24/1 tooling.

Bachmann could of course have picked wrong numbers as the class 24/1 body moulding could only be used up until D5175 (25025). What I suspect though is the 24 chassis including bogie frames but not boiler tanks and battery boxes could form the basis for the "new" 25 with a newly tooled body and underframe. 

Very appealing to me.

No idea why Bachmann have resisted the flush front "peak" for another year, unless they no longer have access to the tooling from the Modelzone version. 

• RMweb Premium

Interesting question re the new named Standard 5, 73118 King Leodegrance. Will it have the much-maligned BR1F tender which accompanied previous Standard 5 releases or the excellent version which went with the later 9F? 

Edited by Downer

Wickham Trolley in green. As I successfully predicted. I will allow myself the brief luxury of feeling slightly smug :)

BR fruit vans. Will go well with the Rapido J70. Add some LNER fruit vans, from the existing Bachmann range, plus some coal wagons, and you've got all you need for an authentic W&U train.

Dont forget a pill box brake van on the end .

• RMweb Gold

No 47s so i expect a few Ltd Eds to crop up in the year, and Pullman comes with a controller!! Sure most of us who want it will already have a controller

Strangely enough I was looking to get a Dynamis Ultra controller for the Dolgellau model layout with infra-red control as the current Multimaus keeps tripping us up with it's wiring, so a DCC sound Grey Pullman for me plus Dynamis Ultra controller for the Dolgellau layout to swap for the current Multimaus which I could use on my home layout might just kill two birds with one stone so long as we don't have to wait until 2020 to get it!

So just to double check:

• No Class 150 GWRs?
  • The Cross Country 170 is a 3-car version as opposed to a 2car version which is on the website currently?
  • There's also a Southern Class 170 2 car?
  • No GWR Class 166, but there will be a GWR 2-car Class 158?
  • Finally, a Class 170 3-car Scotrail Saltire?

Thanks

I was very kindly invited to the launch event today, which was a presentation by Bachmann at a venue in the Midlands. There were two parts: a briefing for 'the press' which included Andy York, representatives from several magazines and from the Wishlist Poll Team (which is why I was there); and a launch for the traders, which covered all the various ranges that Bachmann do including non-railway stuff. One thing that did surprise me a bit was that some of the main magazines were not represented, so far as I could see but I understand that there will be several more briefings in different places over the next few days and I expect the other magazines will be represented there.

A memory stick with photos was handed out to some people but I had no need for one. 

Samples of some forthcoming products were on display. My first impressions on seeing Mark IIf stock liveried examples is that they have got them right. It's very hard to tell on an un-liveried one but the blue/grey TSO looked good to me. They also had liveried samples of the 'Grey Pullman' in both 00 and N-gauge, again looking good.

As for my own list, I'm very pleased to see a new 25 on the way. I understand that the tooling is being designed to cover lots of variants. I'm also pleased to see the 40 in green with discs and not with DCC sound, unlike the previous release. I also welcome the news that the BR green V2 will be a single chimney version. Not sure if it's evident from other posts but the tooling will be designed to cover different variants on both engine and tender.

I would have liked to have seen maroon Thompson stock. This was not mentioned. However, I suspect this year's targets are to get the maroon porthole stock out (announced last year) and the mock teak Thompson stock.

A message I picked up was that they are doing more work on planning, design and in some cases tooling in advance of announcing things, so the delay between announcement and model appearing should reduce.

Overall, it was a good event presented in a positive and constructive manner.

They even made use of one of my photo collection in their briefing:

8534295303_c0fcabf766_b.jpgBlue-Pull_Plymouth2 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 15

Kernow, are a great retailer. Not only do they package the models superbly, they offer a Loyality Point Scheme. £1 - 1 point. 500 points = £5 discount. 

Plus free postage on anything over £150. I would not buy from another retailer. :) I say this as a satisfied and very loyal (due to the points) customer.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/c/766/Bachmann 

So they offer you £5 off per £500 spend? Doesn't seem very generous to me. My local model shop offers £5 off per £100 spend.

Although initially I was a tad disappointed at what was going to be released as it was mostly updating the tooling of pre-existing models, in the grand scheme of things I'm pretty pleased with this year  despite nothing being announced that I wanted for my list for my layout (although I've suddenly decided I need a Hunslet and an H1).  There are enough new things to get us excited, expanding the tooling of pre-existing models is actually a very good idea and I look forward to future variations of the ROD.  This should allow them to catch up with their backlog again which we've all been wanting them to do.

But don't forget, the Bachmann website said the range is being announced in full over the next few weeks.  So it's not over just yet!

Edited by GWR8700
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think Bachmann is wise not to try and do time themed releases! Nothing sells as well as a 60th year anniversary pack that arrives on the shelves 18m after said anniversary occurs!

But they're going to have to be cute with the ROD as it's got a walloping great '1918' on its tender (maybe they could renumber it 1919 if it's running a bit late ... or 1920 ... or 19.......?

• RMweb Gold

But they're going to have to be cute with the ROD as it's got a walloping great '1918' on its tender (maybe they could renumber it 1919 if it's running a bit late ... or 1920 ... or 19.......?

The ROD is already at the EP stage, as Bachmann did stress today that they have been working on a number models in advance of today's announcement, eg by running the H1 along side the H2, NER E1 alongside J72, Parrot wagon alongside the warwell, and they expect them to be delivered this year!

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Re Bulleids and the coach listings on SEMG, so sets 790 and 847 are formed as such of diagrams for quite a few of the sets that would have appeared in Bournemouth, so that's good :)

Re them not being in BR(S) green, that's fine, they'll have to do them in that livery eventually if they want to make a decent profit so I can hang on.

Re pensioning off my older ones, I'll reserve judgement on that until I see the new ones as Bachmann like their moulded handrails, etc, so I might be ok with the two toolings sitting alongside each other, especially if I can do some work on the older coaches to give them flush glazing.

Edited by Ian J.

• RMweb Gold

So they offer you £5 off per £500 spend? Doesn't seem very generous to me. My local model shop offers £5 off per £100 spend.

Not exactly - for example with Bachmann products Kernow will give you the standard initial release 15% discount off RRP and you also get the Loyalty Points.  The latter then add up so the more you spend the more Loyalty Points you get and when you choose to you can spend them with Kernow as, in effect, cash - so it might mean extra discount or it might mean you can get something for not very much so it is something more than a straight discount.

• RMweb Gold

Terrific the WR blue-grey pullman the only version I saw in service. I will have to start saving for sure.

Glad to hear about the retooled class 25s too, the big question being what will SLW be doing in the future?

It all depends on the fidelity of the Bachmann tooling of course, as it will need to compete with SLW if they go ahead. I have over ten Bachmann 25s already, I hope they do a run of chassis units although I doubt it. I guess the new tooling may give some impetus to chassis modding the rest of the fleet.

Neil

• Like 2

The ROD is already at the EP stage, as Bachmann did stress today that they have been working on a number models in advance of today's announcement, eg by running the H1 along side the H2, NER E1 alongside J72, Parrot wagon alongside the warwell, and they expect them to be delivered this year!

Which explains the photograph of the H1 model. Thank you, I wondered about that.

I welcome the ROD but some O4 sub-classes would be even more welcome.